Connect with us

Caribbean News

PAJ ACCELERATING OCHO RIOS CRUISE PORT RECONSTRUCTION

Published

on

BY: GARWIN DAVIS

 

Montego Bay, Jamaica, December 12, 2024 – The Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) is accelerating reconstruction of the Ocho Rios Cruise Port in St. Ann following severe storm damage, in a bid to restore the facility to full operation by July 2025.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Professor Gordon Shirley, is confident about this timeline being met, emphasising the PAJ’s commitment to supporting local businesses grappling with the port’s current closure.

The Ocho Rios Cruise Port has been a vital hub for tourism and local commerce. But its recent incapacitation due to a flood surge earlier in the year has posed significant challenges for stakeholders dependent on cruise ship arrivals.

Professor Shirley acknowledges the impact of this setback on Ocho Rios business interests, and assures that the PAJ is “doing everything within its power” to expedite the restoration of services at the port.

He tells JIS News, however, that despite the setbacks, the PAJ has managed to mitigate potential losses by rerouting cruise ships to other local ports.

The CEO points out that while the Ocho Rios Port’s main terminal remains under construction, the services at the neighbouring Reynolds Pier, also in Ocho Rios, have been stepped up to accommodate some ships, while ensuring that the tourism flow remains relatively stable.

“The main thing is that we have not lost any ships,” Professor Shirley notes, while highlighting the PAJ’s strategic planning in crisis management.

Ships unable to dock in Ocho Rios are being facilitated at the Falmouth and Montego Bay ports, demonstrating the organisation’s adaptability in the face of adversity.

Professor Shirley says to support local transport operators, the PAJ has also initiated arrangements allowing them to capitalise on the rerouted business, adding that the Authority is seized of the challenges experienced by the stakeholders who rely heavily on cruise tourism for their livelihoods.

“We have made arrangements for the Ocho Rios transport operators to still get some of the business from the out-of-town ports. This initiative is aimed at providing some relief to the local economy during the port’s downtime, ensuring that affected stakeholders can continue to operate,” he tells JIS News.

The CEO maintains that the urgency of the situation cannot be overstated, as with another cruise season approaching, the PAJ is hard pressed to ensure Ocho Rios is ready to welcome back ships and tourists.

He says the ongoing construction and repair work are being prioritised to ensure that the port can handle the influx of passengers expected next year.

“We are in overdrive,” Professor Shirley declared, while underscoring the PAJ’s proactive approach to resolving the prevailing issues.

He points out that the drive to reopen the Ocho Rios Cruise Port is not only about restoring a crucial tourist destination, but also revitalising the local economy.

“The port serves as a significant source of income for many businesses and workers in the area, from vendors to tour operators. The PAJ recognises that the quicker the port can rebound, the sooner local businesses can return to their regular operations, ultimately benefitting the entire community,” Professor Shirley states

The CEO says that as the agency navigates this challenging period, collaboration between various stakeholders will be essential, underscoring the importance of communication and cooperation with local businesses, Government entities and contractors involved in the reconstruction.

“It’s vital that we all work together to overcome these challenges and ensure that Ocho Rios can thrive once again,” he remarks.

Professor Shirley adds that the PAJ is aware of the broader implications of the port’s closure, particularly considering the competitive nature of the cruise industry.

Noting that other Caribbean destinations are vying for the attention of cruise lines, he emphasises that maintaining Ocho Rios as a preferred stop is crucial for the region’s tourism landscape.

“The swift recovery of the port is therefore not just a local priority, but a regional necessity,” the CEO adds.

Meanwhile, Professor Shirley says the PAJ remains optimistic about the future of the Ocho Rios Cruise Port.

He notes that with the ongoing commitment to expedite the repairs and support local businesses, there is hope that the port will soon reclaim its status as a premier destination for cruise ships and tourists.

“We are dedicated to ensuring that Ocho Rios is ready to welcome back visitors in time for the next cruise season,” Professor Shirley assures.

Caribbean News

Mottley Sworn in After Historic Clean Sweep in Barbados Election

Published

on

Barbados, February 12, 2026 – Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley was this afternoon officially sworn in for a third consecutive term, hours after delivering one of the most emphatic election victories in Caribbean political history — another complete capture of all 30 seats in Barbados’ House of Assembly.

The ceremony, conducted by President His Excellency Lt. Col. The Most Honourable Jeffrey Bostic, marked the formal start of a new administration following the February 11, 2026 general election, which returned the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to power with a renewed and overwhelming mandate.

In a statement after taking the oath, Mottley said she accepted the responsibility “with humility and resolve,” thanking the people of Barbados for placing their trust in her leadership once again and urging national unity as her government begins its new term. Attorney Wilfred Abrahams was also sworn in as Attorney General.

The result is historic not only for its scale but for its consistency. This is the third straight general election in which the BLP has won every constituency, reinforcing Mottley’s dominance in national politics and extending an unmatched era of one-party control in the modern democratic period.

Voting day unfolded under the watch of a CARICOM Election Observation Mission, led by Antigua and Barbuda’s Supervisor of Elections Ian Hughes and supported by senior electoral officials from Belize and Jamaica. The team engaged key institutions ahead of the poll and monitored the process across the island.

Regional leaders were swift in their congratulations.

Guyana’s President Irfaan Ali described the outcome as “emphatic and historic,” saying the clean sweep reflected how deeply Mottley’s leadership has connected with Barbadians and expressing optimism about strengthening ties between the two countries.

Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness also hailed the victory, noting that her re-election provides an opportunity to deepen cooperation within CARICOM and advance shared regional priorities.

The scale of the win again leaves Barbados without a parliamentary opposition, a reality that has become a defining feature of the political landscape since 2018. Supporters argue the repeated mandate reflects public confidence in Mottley’s stewardship of economic reform, climate diplomacy, the transition to a republic, and Barbados’ expanding global influence.

Now, newly sworn in and backed by another unanimous parliamentary majority, Mottley begins a third term with both extraordinary political capital and equally high expectations at home and across the region.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Liberty Caribbean Committed to ‘Elevating Region’ at CANTO  

Published

on

Simone Martin-Sulgan, Vice President and General Manager, Flow Trinidad & Tobago

Liberty Caribbean is Diamond Sponsor of CANTO Connect 2026 and 42nd AGM

 

Port of Spain, TRININDAD & TOBAGO (February 1, 2026) — Liberty Caribbean, the operators of Flow. Liberty Business and BTC, has reaffirmed its commitment to turning regional connectivity into measurable economic and social outcomes as Diamond Sponsor of CANTO Connect 2026 and its 42nd Annual General Meeting.

CANTO is the leading regional body that brings together telecommunications operators, ICT providers, regulators, governments, and industry partners to support the development of the Caribbean’s digital and communications landscape.

Simone Martin-Sulgan, Vice President and General Manager, Flow Trinidad & Tobago delivered the sponsor’s address on behalf of Liberty Caribbean.

“The work of laying fibre and lighting towers is done; connectivity is now our foundation,” she said.

“The real task before us is to translate that foundation into innovation, productivity and prosperity for our people. Intelligent connectivity, such as networks designed for 5G, AI and IoT, will be the platform for smarter public services, more resilient systems and scaled opportunities for Caribbean entrepreneurs.”

Martin-Sulgan emphasised that infrastructure alone will not deliver sustainable progress.

“Digital progress must become digital prosperity. That means creating career pathways for young people, helping local businesses scale and ensuring citizens across our communities can fully participate in the digital economy. A connected Caribbean should also be a confident, creative and globally competitive Caribbean,” she said.

Liberty Caribbean is represented by a senior delegation at CANTO Connect to support the conference objectives of aligning policy, investment and execution across the region under this year’s theme ‘Elevate the Caribbean – From Connectivity to Global Competitiveness’.

Liberty Caribbean’s delegation includes Inge Smidts, Chief Executive Officer; Desron Bynoe, VP and General Manager, Flow Barbados; Susanna O’Sullivan, VP and General Manager, North Caribbean; Marilyn Sealy, Senior Director, Head of Communications; Dominic Boon, VP, People; Daniel Neiva, Chief Commercial Officer, B2B; Bradley Ramcharan, Director, B2B, Trinidad & Tobago; Yolande Headley, Country Manager, Dutch East Caribbean; and Jade Reymond, Country Manager, Flow Anguilla.

Martin-Sulgan thanked CANTO’s local secretariat for convening the forum and urged delegates to convert conversation into action.

“If we align policy, capital and capability, the Caribbean can move from connectivity to competitiveness. Liberty Caribbean will continue to invest in resilient networks, nurture homegrown talent and partner to deliver measurable social and economic value across our markets,” she said.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Adam Stewart named CNW’s Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year for 2025

Published

on

Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts, Adam Stewart, has been named Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year for 2025 by the regional news publication, Caribbean National Weekly (CNW).

The publication recognised Stewart for his leadership in hospitality, his ongoing investments in regional tourism, his steady crisis response and his philanthropic work throughout what it described as a year filled with both remarkable achievements and significant challenges.

CNW highlighted how 2025 saw industry recognition for Stewart, major announcements of multimillion‑dollar developments across his all‑inclusive luxury resort brands and an invitation to join the prestigious Wall Street Journal CEO Council.

But the publication said his impact extended well beyond business milestones.

“In 2025, the Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts didn’t just guide his iconic hospitality empire through crisis – he used its scale and influence to help shape Jamaica’s rebound and lay groundwork for future regional growth,” CNW wrote.

The defining moment, it said, came in late October when Hurricane Melissa caused severe damage to parts of Jamaica’s tourism infrastructure. Stewart responded by leading transparent communication with global travel advisors, partners and team members, and made a landmark pledge, that 100 per cent of Sandals and Beaches employees would remain on payroll and receive Christmas bonuses, even at resorts temporarily closed for extensive restoration and upgrades. The company also committed more than US$3 million in staff recovery aid, providing direct support to families affected by the storm.

CNW further highlighted the work of the Sandals Foundation under Stewart’s guidance, noting record levels of community engagement and targeted disaster‑recovery support in healthcare, livelihoods and the environment.

In response to the honour, Stewart said he was “deeply humbled” to receive the Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year recognition and expressed his gratitude to his teams and partners for their dedication during an extraordinary year.

“This award reflects far more than any one individual. It is a direct result of people showing up every day for their communities and believing business is a force for good. It belongs to the extraordinary teams who carry our shared vision forward – especially the Sandals Foundation, whose work continues to create lasting change across education, health care, disaster relief and environmental stewardship,” Stewart stated.

“To every colleague and partner who helps bring this mission to life – thank you for your commitment, heart and belief.”

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING