Connect with us

Bahamas News

Minister Moxey says new EMR police station evokes promise fulfilled

Published

on

By ANDREW COAKLEY

Bahamas Information Services



EIGHT MILE ROCK, Grand Bahama, The Bahamas — Minister for Grand Bahama, the Hon. Ginger Moxey believes that as her ministry continues to partner with police officers of the Northern Division on several important projects through the ministry’s Collab partnerships for development unit, today’s society demands even more collaboration between law enforcement, their stakeholders and the entire community.

As such, she added that one of the greatest challenges to law enforcement is having the ability to act with predictability in an age of uncertainty, even as the police force’s strengths and limitations are both challenged.  “Therefore, the tools necessary, the resources and the functional work environment must be at your disposal,” she added. “As I look at this new complex, I believe it is fair to say that we are hitting the mark in this regard at the Eight Mile Rock Police station.

“The Ministry for Grand Bahama prides itself on the wonderful working relationship we have with the Royal Bahamas Police Force. And I’m delighted to be here to witness yet again, another promise being fulfilled.”

The Minister for Grand Bahama was the keynote speaker during the official opening and dedication of the new police station for West Grand Bahama, located in the Obadiah Wilchcombe Complex in Eight Mile Rock, on Tuesday, November 12, 2024.  On hand for the opening was Commissioner of Police, Clayton Fernander, Assistant Commissioner of Police for Grand Bahama and the Northern District, Ms. Shanta Knowles, along with senior officers of the Royal Bahamas Police Force and Member of Parliament for West Grand Bahama and Bimini, Kingsley Smith.

The new, innovative police station replaces the smaller, older station that had been a part of the Eight Mile Rock community for decades. In fact, Minister Moxey, in her remarks, reflected on her memories of that old police station when she attended the primary school not too far from where the station is still located. She even remembered, by name, many of the police officers who served within the Eight Mile Rock constituency years ago.

“It would be remiss of me if I did not thank those hard-working men and women of the Royal Bahamas Police Force for their unwavering commitment to service,” said Minister Moxey. “In some instances, the situation was less than ideal, yet they showed up every single day and executed their duties.”

Minister Moxey commended ACP Shanta Knowles for “taking the bull by the horns” and immersing her team into the community of Grand Bahama. She thanked her for her leadership and the extraordinary work she has done as the first female assistant commissioner of police for the Northern Bahamas.
ACP Knowles, who also spoke at the event, noted that it was not just about the relocation of the Eight Mile Rock police station, but rather a bold declaration of progress and innovation and the police force’s unwavering dedication to the safety and well-being of every Bahamian. Ms. Knowles acknowledged that for many years, the old station at Bayshore road in Jones Town served as a cornerstone of the community, a navigational landmark, a place of refuge, where residents were able to go and find justice, guidance, support and direction.

“This new station is not just an upgrade in infrastructure, it represents the evolution of our dedication to fulfilling the core mission of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, the maintenance of law and order, the preservation of peace, prevention and detection of crime, apprehension of offenders and enforcement of laws that guide our nation,” said ACP Knowles.

The new police station is not only larger in size and offers more space, but has been equipped with state-of-the-art resources and technology, which Commissioner of Police, Clayton Fernander is sure will be used to better serve the people of Eight Mile Rock and West Grand Bahama.

“I have no doubt that this new facility, with its updated resources and modern amenities will support our officers’ needs and enable them to perform their duties with greater efficiency, focus and professionalism,” said Commissioner Fernander.

“This new station represents more than just brick and mortar. It stands as a symbol of our renewed commitment to protecting and supporting the people of Eight Mile Rock, while strengthening the relationship of the diverse community we now serve. May this station stand as a beacon of protection, service and progress for the people of Eight Mile Rock for many years to come.”

 

PHOTO CAPTION

UNVEILS PLAQUE – Minister for Grand Bahama, THE Hon. Ginger Moxey unveils the plaque on the new Eight Mile Rock Police Station during official opening ceremonies on Tuesday, November 12, 2024, in the Obadiah Wilchcombe Complex.  Looking on is Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander (left) and Member of Parliament for West Grand Bahama and Bimini, Kingsley Smith.

CUTS RIBBON – Minister for Grand Bahama, the Hon. Ginger Moxey, along with police Commissioner Clayton Fernander (left) and MP Kingsley Smith prepare to cut the ribbon on the entrance of the new Eight Mile Rock Police Station located in the Obadiah Wilchcombe Complex, following official opening ceremonies on Tuesday, November 12, 2024.  Looking on at right is Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ms. Shanta Knowles.

(BIS  Photos/Andrew Miller)

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING