Connect with us

TCI News

“DISLOYALS MUST GO”; Human Trafficking CRACKDOWN takes off says Premier

Published

on

A determination to protect the Turks and Caicos borders and also weed out any ‘disloyal bad actors’ was the message from Washington Misick, TCI Premier, on Thursday, March 14, when he spoke in a National Press Conference geared toward border security.

He repeated information on the detailed package now approved by the United Kingdom that was shared by Dileeni Daniel-Selvaratnam, TCI Governor. Included in that package is: Policing equipment to support the RTCIPF to combat serious crime, including new capabilities on forensics, body worn cameras and CCTV; border security upgrades to the TCI’s drone surveillance capability, portable scanners, new engines for Department of Environment and Coastal Resources vessels, and support for the implementation of electronic borders and a comprehensive new package of support to radically upgrade the TCI’s maritime domain awareness with a roll out of advanced coastal sensors through the support of the UK’s Joint Maritime Security Centre.   

It follows ‘a very strong letter’ written to the UK government. 

Also included in that is the deployment of a marine vessel ‘The Trent’ identified directly by Misick to be deployed in the waters between Haiti and the Turks and Caicos to dissuade irregular migration.

Acknowledging the dangers currently associated with air travel into Haiti. The premier maintained that alternative options are being considered for repatriation of illegal migrants who are captured including more holding areas.

“We are concerned about our own pilots and equipment and it’s currently unsafe to land there.  It is too risky at the moment for our pilots and planes. That’s why it is very critical that we have these extra facilities to house any migrants that may come here.”

The Premier stressed that the security facilities at these spots were being upgraded to prevent any breaches 

Misick also indicated that over 200 migrants were caught from three interceptions in the past week. Additionally 18 persons have been arrested. Sixteen were held in Providenciales regarding gun and gang activities. Another 10 were identified in Grand Turk. 

He appealed to those who had information or connections to human trafficking.

”Come clean, come forward, if you have any information or involvement with illegal migration because whether you know it or not you will be found out.” 

Misick maintained that every person living in the TCI had a duty to protect it.

“I don’t care how you got here, by birth canal or boat, we all have an obligation to protect this rock—- I don’t care where you come from and how long you’ve been here but we’re serious and if we find anybody disloyal to these islands whether you have a PRC, work permit or status you can say goodbye,” he warned

As for why Ariel Henry, Haitian Prime Minister, had been added to the TCI stop list Misick said this:

”We have a significant number of persons from Haiti here. Now we don’t know who is here and we don’t know what threat would’ve been posed by the Prime Minister entering these shores— I’m sure there were supporters and opposition to his tenure in office, and we have no idea what that could lead to.”

He described the decision as reasonable, smart, and intelligent, comparing Henry to longtime criminal Jimmy ‘Barbecue’ Cherizier. While Misick maintained they were not the same, he said it was ‘nothing personal’ and the country wouldn’t take any risks with admitting anyone that could incite negative reactions. 

In terms of further border protection Misick  maintains that the Strategic Coordinating Group was doing an excellent job with the resources allocated to them, meeting every morning and updating the Governor and Premier on the current situation daily.

Premier Misick maintained that Haiti was not going anywhere, likening it to  a ‘chronic illness in the body’ that would need money to treat.

“Until there is stability in Haiti, both in terms of the politics and economics that is going to be the case, we don’t necessarily have anything against the Haitian people, but we cannot accommodate 11 million people or even anything close to that so obviously we have an obligation to look after our borders.”

Regarding long term strategies, Misick said the country was working on a Tourism Police Unit, and more regional information sharing. 

“It’s not going to go away, we’re constantly going to have to deal with the problem so we might as well have solid strategies in place to deal with it.”

He maintained that he was aware of the gravity of the threat but had to ‘keep a cool head’ with his responses and plans. 

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

News

BermudAir Launches New York Area’s First Nonstop Service to South Caicos, Now Just a 3.5 Hour Flight from Newark

Published

on

Twice-Weekly Nonstop Flights Begin December 20 with Fares from $347 One Way, Creating Direct Access to Salterra Resort & Spa

– New Route Expands BermudAir’s Winter Turks & Caicos Network –

 

[New York, NY – August 20, 2026]BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter.  The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.

The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area.  This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027.  Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.

The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.

Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.

While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.

Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.

Expanded Winter Season

  • To South Caicos:
  • Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
  • To Turks and Caicos:
  • Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
  • Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
  • Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.

“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”

The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry.  All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.

“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”

For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com

Continue Reading

News

Salt Cay Water Shortage Unresolved as Residents Question Promised Relief

Published

on

SALT CAY — Residents say Salt Cay’s prolonged water shortage remains unresolved, with no visible activity or relief from the measures Government said would be advanced last week.

The crisis began in June after a critical filter failed at the island’s reverse osmosis plant, severely disrupting local water production. Residents told Magnetic Media Tuesday morning that neither the replacement filter nor the promised bulk shipment of emergency water appeared to have arrived.

Minister of Innovation, Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders, however, said the filter is already on Salt Cay.

“The RO filter is on Salt Cay and it’s being installed,” Saunders told Magnetic Media.

The large emergency water shipment has not materialised. Saunders said transporting more than 1,000 gallons in a single container requires a barge, and officials are still attempting to source one.

Government had previously indicated that it would try to deliver up to 2,500 gallons to partially replenish Salt Cay’s depleted storage tanks while repairs continued.

Saunders had initially projected that the RO plant would be fully operational by August 19. He now says the system is expected to return to full operation “in a few days.”

For residents, however, the immediate reality remains unchanged: the shortage continues, the bulk water has not arrived and the promised relief is not yet flowing.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING