Connect with us

Caribbean News

Tobago Hotel Upgrades for 2024-2025

Published

on

Rashaed Esson

Staff Writer

#TrinidadandTobago, November 25, 2023 – Trinidad and Tobago is strengthening its tourism product for 2024 and 2025 with the development of new hotels.

The home of Carnival culture, another sought after experience for visitors, is increasing its attractiveness for new visitors who are again “falling in love with the destination,” says Councillor Tashia Grace Burris, Secretary of Tourism, of the Tobago House of Assembly.

She informed the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) that they are looking forward to the development of a new hotel called Secret Sun Dreams, “slated to break ground in January 2024.”

This, the secretary added, will add 500 [rooms] to the country’s [room stock].

Additionally, she revealed that another hotel is currently under development, that is the Elephant Tree Hotel and Villas which Carries about 389 rooms, completion anticipated for 2025.

Burris was speaking to the CTO about developments and the outlook for Tobago as a destination.

She said the winter season for visitors is looking lucrative given an increase in the desire for destination and given the recent arrival numbers they have been seeing as a rebound from COVID-19.

According to the Trinidad and Tobago Tourism Stakeholders Information Monthly Bulletin, shared in August of 2023, “in July 2023, Trinidad and Tobago welcomed 29,476 visitors, up 24 percent from last month.  The majority (28,352 or 96 percent) of visitors landed in Trinidad with Tobago receiving just over 1,100 direct visitors. Total visitor arrivals for the first seven months of the year were 182,508.”

Also for winter this year, Germany, she says, is providing service on Condor airlines, another reason for the potentially successful winter season.

Tobago also has two flights weekly from British Airways in winter and one weekly in summer, Burris further informed, continuing to say that they are working hard to grab onto other opportunities to gain more visitors.

Trinidad and Tobago just reopened its international borders in January of 2022, following COVID-19.

Caribbean News

Trinidad Makes Big Energy Commitment

Published

on

Rashaed Esson

Staff Writer

 

#TrinidadandTobago#Energy, February 20th, 2024 – To diversify its energy mix as well as its economy, Trinidad and Tobago is putting focus on energy transition for development, working on a solar project which will potentially change energy production for the nation.

This was announced by Prime Minister Keith Rowley at the opening of the Energy Conference and Supply Chain Expo 2024 in Guyana on February 19th.

Expressing that energy is the center of economic development, Rowley highlights why this development is significant. He says in order to transform the energy system to cater to the growing demand for energy while decreasing global emissions, a broad mix of energy is needed.

He further mentions that this is what’s required of producer economies like Trinidad and Tobago for development.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Irish Humanitarian Organization in Haiti – Address Hunger Crisis and More

Published

on

Rashaed Esson

Staff Writer

 

#Haiti#Crisis#ConcernWorldwide, February 2oth, 2024 – Seeing that Haiti’s humanitarian crisis worsens day by day with too many Haitians, hundreds of thousands, edging the line to severe deprivation of food, Ireland’s largest aid and humanitarian agency Concern Worldwide is addressing major food insecurity. 

 The organization in a release said “ “We are providing food assistance, via electronic vouchers to help families purchase food from local vendors so that they can feed their families and prevent malnutrition in children as the situation worsens.”

They are also working to provide Haitians with clean water and sanitation as the waterborne disease Cholera continues to threaten lives, killing more than 1,150 people in 2023.

And, they provide referrals for cases of sexual and gender based violence in Port au Prince.

Concern is supported by funding from USAID, receiving €2.1 million (euros) to help over 30 thousand people in the hunger crisis as well as €1 million (euros) yearly from the Irish Government for its work in Haiti.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Why the Haitian President’s Wife – Martine Moïse – was charged with his 2021 Assassination

Published

on

Rashaed Esson

Staff Writer

#Haiti, February 21, 2024 – Martine Moïse, the widow of Haiti’s assassinated President Jovenel Moïse, is being charged for involvement in his July 2021 murder, according to recent reports on Monday February 19th, 2024.

She is charged for complicity and involvement in criminal associations.

In his report, Haitian Judge Walther Wesser Voltaire reveals there were questionable actions related to Martine Moïse as well as statements that simply didn’t add up.

For instance, Voltaire states that she mentions hiding under the marital bed for safety during the attack on her husband, but authorities expressed that this claim is illogical, saying that a giant rat measuring “between 35 and 45 centimeters,” could not fit under the bed.

This is due to the fact that the gap between the bed and the floor was 14 to 18 inches, according to the indictment.

Considering these revelations, Voltaire states that her claims were “so tainted with contradictions that they leave something to be desired and discredit her.”

There are other suspicious actions by Mrs. Moïse, reported by the Judge, as revealed by Lyonel Valbrun, former Secretary General of the National Palace.

Voltiare’s report says Valbrun claimed there was pressure from the late President’s wife to make available to Claude Joseph, former Prime Minister, office space for the organization of a Council of Ministers.  Additionally, Valbrun reported that Martine Moïse dedicated hours to remove objects from the Palace during the days leading up to her husband’s murder.

Joseph, like the former first lady is also being charged for complicity and involvement in criminal associations.  Also, they were both injured during the attack on Jovenel Moïse.

The accusations against Mrs. Moïse, reports say, are also based on information from Joseph Badio, former official in Haiti’s Justice Ministry, who is accused of being involved in planning the Haitian president’s 2021 assassination.

According to the indictment, linked in  Voltaire’s 122 page report highlights Badio “outing” Mrs. Moïse for plotting with others, Joseph included, to kill her husband to gain power.

Joining Joseph and Moïse with charges is Léon Charles, ex-chief of Haiti’s National Police, carrying the worst of the charges including, murder, attempted murder, illegal possession of weapons, conspiracy against the state’s internal security, and involvement in criminal associations.

Haitian-American pastor Christian Emmanuel Sanon, former DEA informant Joseph Vincent, presidential security chief Dimitri Hérard, former senator John Joël Joseph, and judge Windelle Coq, are also among the accused, some already sentenced and some handed over to the US to face Federal charges.

Media reports have exposed that after a two and a half year investigation, there are still unanswered questions.  And, despite going into details about the assassination, it fails to reveal the motive behind it and how it was financed.

A separate case on Moise’s killing is being tried in Miami.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING