Connect with us

News

TCI COURT PROCEEDING REVEALS MALCOLM FILED TO SHUT DOWN MISSICK’S SHOW; JUDGE THROWS IT OUT

Published

on

Wilkie Arthur and Dana Malcolm 

Editorial Staff 

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, October 30, 2023 – UPDATE on Defamation civil case between Courtney Missick, Pastor and Talk Show Host, represented by Senior Civil Attorney Hon. Alvin Garland and Hon Shaun Malcolm, Minister of Health and Human Services, represented by Latisha Williams-Bruce and assisted by Hon. Mr. Willin Belliard; the matter continued on Monday October 30th 2023 at exactly 2:30pm.

The injunction against Missick barring him from speaking about Shaun Malcolm has been thrown out because of insufficient and unsatisfactory filings by Malcolm’s attorneys. The Hon. Supreme Court Justice Mr. Anthony Stephen Gruchot said the respondent/defendant’s application to discharge this injunction has weight. He told Mrs. Williams-Bruce this is your application and you’ve failed to comply with many of the areas required in an injunction proceedings of this nature, as outlined by Counsel for the respondent/defendant.

The judge struck out the injunction and ordered that it be discharged but before doing so he raised it to counsels from both sides, if they had considered an undertaking as we have Mr. Missick here in court today. Both counsels agreed to the Hon. Justice’s approach and there was a short adjournment for counsels to take advice from their clients.

Documents filed last week Wednesday in an attempt to stop the talk show after an edition of the pastor’s show where he addressed Malcolm and his alleged role in the Special Investigation and Prosecution Team (SIPT) investigation. The defamation suit apparently hinges on an exchange on the Monday October 23 episode of ‘The People’s Voice’ where Missick allegedly said:

“Guess who run England, that same the Honourable Shaun Malcolm was the one jump on the plane took the information, same Shaun who is in the PNP party who serving as Minister of Health …we know who went carry what to England.”

Malcolm says these and other statements made which had his phone ringing off the hook, were not only false but damaging to his character, reputation, and standing as a PNP member.

While the injunction filed against Missick is done away with, the two sides did sign an undertaking that is binding and prohibits Missick from speaking about Shaun Malcolm regarding the SIPT investigation.

The Pastor can still discuss Malcolm and his political affiliations with the PNP on his shows outside of this subject as argued by his attorney and agreed by the judge after much thought and consideration.

Additionally Wilkie Arthur, Magnetic Media Court Correspondent, can also confirm having listened to Hon. Alvin Garland’s arguments to the Judge and documents filed and signed by Shaun Malcolm and his legal team that they did in fact attempt to get an injunction completely shutting down the pastor’s popular show.

The filing read:  “THAT I make this affidavit in support of my application for an interim injunction restraining the First and Second Defendants from hosting and publishing their live streaming talk shows on social media known as “The People Voice’ schedule for Wednesday 25” October 2023 and for any future hosting and streaming of the said talk show.”

To that wide extent, it was not granted by the judge as Attorney Garland said would be a violation of Courtney Missick’s constitutional rights.

The case has been adjourned, without date. for proper filings to be completed by the Plaintiff and a date will be fixed for the substantive hearing of the application to be heard fully.

Magnetic Media can say that upon arrival at the court, about an hour early, in anticipation of some difficulty with entering the court, officers at the court said ‘they told us no one would be allowed in for the hearing.’

As an official correspondent for Magnetic Media, this decision did not rest well in such a potentially precedent setting case.  A conference with the clerk to the judge was requested and granted.  At that time, it was asked ‘why is it no one including the media is allowed in the court when the hearing commences?’

The clerk returned shortly after and said she had spoken to his Lordship and confirmed that the proceedings are in open court.

Further to that, when Hon. Alvin Garland was on his feet putting forward his forceful submissions as to non-proper service of the documents on his client nor him, the learned judge then said but how is it that Magnetic Media has the documents?  It was also said by the judge, that ‘I’m confused because Mr. Missick is referring to the documents on his show.’

Mr. Garland still maintained that they were not served or not served properly.

News

The Department of Trade, Industry & Fair Competition to Host Export Readiness Workshop Under the theme “Empowering TCI Businesses for Local Growth and Global Markets.”

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, February 12, 2026 — The Department of Trade is pleased to announce the launch of its Export Readiness Workshop Series, a key component of its Trade Technical Assistance Programme.

This workshop series will address priority areas critical to small business development in the Turks and Caicos Islands, offering practical guidance and hands-on support in the following areas:

  1. Standards and Quality – Identification of and compliance with regulatory and market requirements
  2. E-Commerce and Digital Trade – Expanding access to regional and international markets

The workshops will be held February 24–27, 2026 and will be delivered in an in-person, interactive format.  Each session is tailored to specific business sectors to ensure targeted support and practical application.

  1.  Workshop 1 – February 24, 2026 | Agricultural Activities and Light Manufacturing (Food & Beverage)
  2.  Workshop 2 – February 25, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Arts & Crafts)
  3.  Workshop 3 – February 26, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Clothing, Jewelry & Apparel Accessories)
  4.  Workshop 4 – February 27, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Cosmetics & Skin Care)

Entrepreneurs and business owners are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to enhance their operational capacity, improve export readiness and position their businesses for sustainable growth.

To register, please complete the registration form via the following link Capacity Building & Export Readiness Workshop – Fill out form

For more information, please contact the Department of Trade, Industry and Fair Competition.

☎️Phone: (649) 338-3703

Email: tradetci@gov.tc

Stay updated on announcements by following @tcidepartmentoftrade on Facebook, Instagram, and @MadeInTCI on   TikTok

Continue Reading

News

Violence against children persists in Latin America and the Caribbean  

Published

on

A new report by PAHO and UNICEF warns of the impact of violence from an early age and calls for strengthening prevention, protection and response from health, education and social protection systems to break the cycle of violence and ensure safe environments.

 

PANAMA CITY / WASHINGTON, D.C., 26 January 2026 – In Latin America and the Caribbean, violence continues to be a serious threat to the lives, health and well-being of millions of children, adolescents and young people, warn the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and UNICEF in a new joint publication, Violence against children and adolescents in Latin America and the Caribbean: New data and solutions.

The most serious consequence of violence is the death of thousands of children, adolescents and young people. Between 2015 and 2022, 53,318 children and adolescents were victims of homicide in the region.

The most recent available data, focusing on adolescents aged 15 to 17 years, show contrasting trends by sex. Between 2021 and 2022, the homicide rate among adolescent boys decreased from 17.63 to 10.68 deaths per 100,000 in Latin America and the Caribbean, although it remains high. During the same period, the rate among female adolescents doubled, from 2.13 to 5.1 deaths per 100,000.

Homicides occur in a context of rising armed violence in some areas of the region, associated with organized crime, easy access to firearms, social inequalities and harmful gender norms, which increasingly expose adolescents to situations of lethal violence.

Different forms of violence are interconnected andin many cases, intensify over time. The report highlights how violence is present from a very early age. In the region, 6 out of 10 children and adolescents under 14 years of age are subject to some type of violent discipline at home, while one in four adolescents aged 13 to 17 experiences bullying at schoolNearly one in five women in Latin America and the Caribbean report having experienced sexual violence before the age of 18. Increasingly, violence manifests itself in digital environments, although available data remains limited.

“Every day, millions of children in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to violence – at home, at school and in communities with a gang presence. Multiple places and situations in the region present real risks and dangers for children,” said Roberto Benes, UNICEF Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. “We know how to end the violence. In Latin America and the Caribbean, strong and sustained public policies are required to prevent and respond to violence in all its forms so that every child can grow up in a safe environment.”

“Violence has a profound and lasting impact on the physical and mental health of children and adolescents and violates their right to grow up in safe environments, at home, school and in the community,” said Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Director of PAHO. “Health services play a key role in prevention and response: when health workers identify people and groups at risk early and provide timely, quality support, they can make a real difference for survivors, their families and communities.”

In addition to describing the scale of the problem, the report highlights evidence-based solutions that can prevent violence and mitigate its costs.

To advance this agenda and end violence in all its forms, PAHO and UNICEF urge governments in the region to strengthen and enforce child protection laws, ensure effective control of firearms, train police officers, teachers, and health and social workers, support parents and caregivers in respectful parenting practices, invest in safe learning environments, and scale up responsive services to ensure that all children and adolescents grow up protected, have access to justice, and live healthy, violence-free lives.

The report was validated during a regional ministerial consultation held on 23-24 October 2025, which brought together more than 300 participants from across the region, including ministers and senior officials from the health, education, justice and child protection sectors, as well as civil society representatives, youth leaders and international partners, with the aim of agreeing on concrete actions to build safer environments for children and adolescents.

Continue Reading

News

Invest TCI Launches Fisheries Pilot to Strengthen the Local Fishing Industry

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands – Thursday, 22nd January 2026: Invest Turks and Caicos has officially launched its

A man pulling in a fishing net with a successful catch

Fisheries Pilot Programme, an initiative designed to transform local fishing from a subsistence activity into a sustainable, growth-oriented business sector. The pilot supports 18 fisherfolk across the islands, providing each with funding of up to $50,000 to purchase vessels, engines, fishing gear, and other essential equipment. In addition to financial assistance, each participant receives business coaching and technical support to help them establish recordkeeping systems and strengthen their financial management.

The programme, developed in partnership with the Ministry of Tourism, Environment, Fisheries, and Marine Affairs, was created in

response to the increasing number of fishing-related applications under the MSME Programme. To address this surge and support the development of the sector, in FY 2024/2025 Cabinet approved $1 million in special funding dedicated specifically to commercial fishing activities.

The initiative officially kicked off in South Caicos on the 9th October 2025, where Invest TCI’s VP of SME Development, Alexa Cooper, and Business Advisor/Programme Manager, Lashena Simmons, joined by Director of Fisheries Mr. Ponteen and Dr. Alvarez, engaged participants in a roundtable discussion on progress, challenges, and next steps.

“This Fisheries Pilot is about helping our local fisherfolk move from survival to sustainability. Through our partnership with the Ministry, we are providing not only equipment and funding, but the business support needed to help them grow strong, viable enterprises. The island meetings ensure that participants remain supported and on track as the programme continues.” – Alexa Cooper, VP of SME Development, Invest Turks and Caicos.

“I know firsthand how important this industry is to our future, not only environmentally, but in how it provides for local families and sustains entire communities. This Fisheries Pilot is about giving our fisherfolk the tools to operate more efficiently, earn more from their work, and build businesses that can last. Through this partnership with Invest Turks and Caicos, we are strengthening food security while ensuring the sector grows in a responsible and sustainable way.” – Hon. Zhavargo Jolly- Minister of Tourism, Environment, Fisheries and Marine Affairs.

Meetings will continue across the islands, with upcoming sessions planned for Grand Turk and Providenciales in February. Through this pilot, Invest TCI aims to build a model for future sectoral support, ensuring that local fisherfolk can operate more efficiently, profitably, and sustainably while contributing to national food security and economic resilience.

Yellowtail snapper.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING