Connect with us

News

TCI Regiment Participates in Caribbean Military Training Exercise (EXERCISE TRADE WINDS 23)

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, July 27, 2023 – A Troop comprised of Nineteen (19) Marines from the Turks and Caicos Islands Regiment, departed the Islands for Caribbean Military Training Exercise  (Exercise Trade 23)  in Guyana earlier today.  Exercise Trade Winds is a Caribbean-focused, Foreign Military Interaction, ground security, and interagency Field Training Exercise design to support regional objectives. Twenty-four (24) countries around the Region are expected to participate in the exercise, supporting a number of training tracks, with the culmination of three (3) day confirmatory exercise.

The aim of EXERCISE TRADE WINDS 23 is to exercise elements of the TCI Regiment and supporting personnel in high intensity operations and training over a protracted period of time, as part of a multi-national force, on a scale not possible in TCI, in order to enhance overall operational effectiveness and interoperability. The TCI Regiment will Exercise along with a contingent comprising over one hundred (100) soldiers from Royal Bermuda Regiment, Jamaica Defence Force and the Surinamese Defence Force. The Exercise would cover various areas including:

  1. Close Quarter Combat
  2. Public Order
  3. Casualty evaluation, treatment, and evacuation
  4. Ordinance Disposal
  5. Radio Communication
  6. Specialist Operations
  7. Marksmanship
  8. Squad, Platoon and Company Patrol Techniques
  9. Human Rights Awareness in Combat
  10. Helicopter Embarkation and Disembarkation

Her Excellency Governor Dileeni Daniel-Selvaratnam  and the Commanding Officer of the Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Ennis Grant met with the Troops yesterday to wish them a Successful Exercise. In Her Remarks, Governor Selvaratam encouraged the Marines to maximize the opportunity of the training, while acknowledging their commitment and personal sacrifice. She impressed upon them her confidence and  full support of The Turks and Caicos Islands Regiment.  The Contingent is being headed by Lieutenant Earl Henry.

 

 

Photo Caption

Our nineteen Turks and Caicos Islands Regiment members are progressing well in Guyana as they participate in Exercise Tradewinds with Regiments from across the Caribbean. The exercise is designed to strengthen partnerships, inoperability and develop capacity and capability to mitigate, plan and respond to crises and security threats.

 

TCI Regiment member Dalton Daniel: ‘Tradewinds 23 has been tough so far, but I’m really enjoying it. You know, I’m learning a lot, meeting people from other countries and getting the opportunity to improve my training. Hopefully what I’ve learned here I can pass back to the rest of the TCI Regiment. I knew some of the other service members from Bermuda because we worked the Coronation together so it was really cool to see them again. I’m really glad that I had this opportunity to come to Guyana to be a part of Tradewinds so I really appreciate everything.’

 

Photos courtesy of the Office of the TCI Governor

Continue Reading

News

Salt Cay Water Shortage Unresolved as Residents Question Promised Relief

Published

on

SALT CAY — Residents say Salt Cay’s prolonged water shortage remains unresolved, with no visible activity or relief from the measures Government said would be advanced last week.

The crisis began in June after a critical filter failed at the island’s reverse osmosis plant, severely disrupting local water production. Residents told Magnetic Media Tuesday morning that neither the replacement filter nor the promised bulk shipment of emergency water appeared to have arrived.

Minister of Innovation, Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders, however, said the filter is already on Salt Cay.

“The RO filter is on Salt Cay and it’s being installed,” Saunders told Magnetic Media.

The large emergency water shipment has not materialised. Saunders said transporting more than 1,000 gallons in a single container requires a barge, and officials are still attempting to source one.

Government had previously indicated that it would try to deliver up to 2,500 gallons to partially replenish Salt Cay’s depleted storage tanks while repairs continued.

Saunders had initially projected that the RO plant would be fully operational by August 19. He now says the system is expected to return to full operation “in a few days.”

For residents, however, the immediate reality remains unchanged: the shortage continues, the bulk water has not arrived and the promised relief is not yet flowing.

Continue Reading

News

Beaches Turks & Caicos shares dining etiquette training at Provo youth summer camp  

Published

on

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands: — Beaches Turks and Caicos Resort recently collaborated with the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force and the Department of Social Services to support a youth camp hosted at the Oseta Jolly Primary School, underscoring the resort’s ongoing commitment to youth development in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The camp, which brought together security forces, government agencies and private sector entities, focused on equipping young participants with practical life skills and character-building tools. A team from Beaches Turks and Caicos’ leadership and training departments joined the programme to deliver sessions on basic table etiquette, dining mannerisms, polite demeanour and public speaking fundamentals, all designed to help the students present themselves confidently in formal and professional settings.

General Manager of Beaches Turks and Caicos, Deryk Meany, said the resort views national development as an integral part of its corporate social responsibility. “We are always happy to be supporters in the development of the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands. We continue to commit our team to help in creating the next generation of leaders who will provide support to the islands and help in its development,” Meany noted.

The initiative also received strong endorsement from the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Community Development, which has been championing holistic programmes aimed at building well-rounded young citizens. Minister Rachel Taylor highlighted the importance of collaborations like the camp in helping youth access structured guidance and mentorship. “We are happy to join in celebrating the growth and development of our youth here in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Beaches Turks and Caicos continues to be one of our primary supporters in helping to develop well rounded individuals. This commitment from this resort has grown with the vision of the youth ministry to help in their overall development,” she said.

Taylor further emphasized that the camp’s timing was especially significant, coming as youth across the islands seek positive outlets and constructive engagement. “This camp came at the most ideal time for our adolescents. With the support of our governor, the security forces, the social services along with Beaches Turks and Caicos, we are confident that the training needed for them to improve is on the right track,” she added.

Beaches Turks and Caicos Public Relations Manager, Orville Morgan, described the collaboration as an exemplary model of cross-sector partnership. “To be able to join with the security forces to provide support for the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands is exceptional. We are happy to provide the necessary support to equip them to grow into being productive citizens of these islands,” Morgan said.

He noted that the resort team focused on practical etiquette and hospitality-driven skills that can be carried into the youths’ future experiences. “As a team, we were able to share in the basic table setting and dining etiquette for them, skills we are sure that they will be able to use in their next fine dining experience,” Morgan added.

Organizers expressed optimism that the camp’s blend of discipline, mentorship and soft skills training will have a lasting impact on participants. With stakeholders pledging continued support, the Beaches Turks and Caicos team and their partners aim to expand similar initiatives, further investing in the personal and professional growth of the next generation of Turks and Caicos Islanders.

Continue Reading

News

ELECTRICITY BILL SHOCKER: PELICAN ENERGY WARNED GOV’T

Published

on

TCIG knew from April that fuel factor could surge almost 80%; Minister says $500 cost-of-living payment was part of Government’s response

PROVIDENCIALES — The Turks and Caicos Government knew months before July’s shocking electricity bills that consumers faced a potentially massive increase in the fuel factor.

Minister of Information Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders revealed Friday that Pelican Energy warned his Ministry in April that generation fuel costs were projected to rise from $3.09 per gallon in May to $4.79 in June and July.

That translated into a projected fuel factor jump from about 17.5 cents to 31 cents per kilowatt-hour — an increase of almost 80%.

Saunders said he personally advised Cabinet of the projected increase and presented options for cushioning the impact.

He characterised Government’s $500 cost-of-living payment as its “initial response” to rising fuel costs, before a separate fuel-factor subsidy was approved.

Cabinet records show Government agreed on June 24 to provide funding to mitigate the fuel-factor impact, with the relief programme approved July 8.

Eligible residential customers — those averaging less than $1,500 monthly over the previous three bills — are capped at 22 cents per kWh from July through October.

Pelican confirmed Friday that Government’s contribution was already applied to July bills, meaning the bills now triggering widespread public outrage would have been even higher without the subsidy.

Saunders did not disclose the programme’s total cost.

His admission that Government knew since April, however, raises another question amid the backlash: why were consumers not directly warned by Government about the scale of the approaching increase?

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING