Connect with us

News

New Judge Coming for Mike Misick & Others, CJ Recuses Herself

Published

on

By Wilkie Arthur

Freelance Court Reporter

 

#TurksandCaicos, June 29, 2023 – Chief Justice the Hon. Mabel Agyemang on Thursday June 22, 2023 recused herself from trying the second part or part two of the SIPT trial.

Appearing in the Supreme Court, Turks and Caicos Islands on Tuesday 20th June, 2023, before Her Ladyship the Hon Chief Justice was the former premier and attorney MICHAEL MISICK and his brother, also an attorney THOMAS CHALMERS MISICK and former minister of Government MCALLISTER HANCHELL.

Sitting in the front row was the accused Michael Misick*and his attorney, Mr. Gilbert Peterson KC and his defense team, behind him in the second row was his brother, who is an attorney *Thomas Chalmers Misick with his attorney Mr. Malcolm Bishop KC and his defense team and in the third row was McAllister Hanchell, a former government minister with his attorney Mr. Jerome Lynch KC and his defense team.

The matter was listed for Plea and Directions Hearing (PDH) as the accused were to be arraigned, charges read to them, pleas taken and the trial began. However, before the PDH could properly commenced, the Hon Chief Justice advised Mr. Andrew Mitchell, KC, for the prosecution, who is assisted by Mr. Quinn Hawkins, Ms. Katherine “Kate” Duncan and Ms. Mickia Mills and the entire court that she has something to say.

She then began by saying that ‘I don’t think I can handle this matter as she has been involved in the first trial and there may very well be overlapping evidence.’

The Chief Justice was referring to the SIPT trial (part #1) which was against Floyd Hall, Jeffrey Hall, Melbourne Wilson and Clayton Greene. She is now in deliberations on that trial presently.

The Chief Justice does not feel that she is the best person to continue with the second part of the SIPT trial, which would also last for months and could run possibly to the end of 2024 (next year).

There was discussion as to when part two of the SIPT trial will restart and when a new judge will be appointed.

The Chief Justice said that it will be speedily ‘but we do not have a judge appointed as yet, the process of getting a new judge has begun and it will be dealt with instantaneously.’

The Defendants were released back on bail pending the same conditions and she also advised that legal aid in the matter for all counsels is also extended and continues.

The CJ advised the counsels (albeit lightheartedly) that are they are being paid through legal aid and they must continue to work as there is no specific date the next trial will start.

The Hon Chief Justice reminded all Counsel and the Defendants that as she has said and stands by that “no matter how many years has passed in this case, the results of it should be acceptable.”

News

Traffic Death again, a woman dies and two others hospitalised

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, June 23, 2024 – Magnetic Media can inform that, yes there has been another traffic death in Providenciales and reports say it’s a woman who didn’t make it out of a three car smash up.

Almost, exactly 24 hours after a deadly collision was recorded in wee hours of Saturday morning came news, this morning, of a second death by motor vehicle accident.

“I can confirm the Police Control Room received a call during the early hours of this morning involving a serious accident on Leeward Highway. One person (female) died while others were rushed for medical treatment,” said Denyse Renne, media officer for the Royal TCI Police.

The Cheshire Hall Medical Center, which had already suspended visitation due to security concerns in the wake of four murders between Friday and Saturday in Provo, has restricted its Emergency Room to emergencies only.

TCI hospitals citing the unusually high demand for urgent medical care to multiple patients as the reason for the restriction.

While it is widely reported that the person who died in the traffic accident on Leeward Highway near Pratt’s Road is a female tourist, police say they’re investigating.

It’s been a total of six lives lost in startling incidents in the past day in Providenciales.  The tragic circumstances of the car accidents and sheer violence of the shootings have sent shockwaves throughout the country leaving residents utterly bewildered.

Continue Reading

Crime

Five Cays Shooting Death

Published

on

***MEDIA RELEASE***

June 22nd, 2024.

Homicide detectives of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force are actively investigating a murder in Five Cays, Providenciales.

Initial reports indicate that shortly after midday, the Police Control Room received several calls stating that gunshots were being heard in the area of the Community Center.

RT&CIPF officers responded to the given location and found the lifeless body of a male with what appeared to be gunshot wounds about the body.

The RT&CIPF is asking anyone with information that may help in this investigation to contact the closest police station, 911, the Serious Crime Unit at 231-1842, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-8477 to provide any information anonymously.

Additionally, individuals are encouraged to download the Crime Stoppers P3 app to share information.

Continue Reading

News

Rescued

Published

on

 

 

Media Release

June 22nd, 2024.

 

Two occupants of an aircraft were rescued around 3:28 p.m. today (June 22) following an intensive sea search around Providenciales.

The occupants –two males- are currently receiving medical attention.

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force can confirm that shortly after midday, the Air Tower received a report regarding an aircraft landing on water (ditching) approximately 11 miles from Northwest Point, Providenciales.

The aircraft had departed from the United States and experienced engine failure.

Having received reports of the incident, a Strategic Coordinating Group with representation from the RT&CIPF, the TCI Civil Aviation Authority, the Airport Authority, the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies, and the Ministry of Health was activated to coordinate the search and rescue.

The group worked closely with partners from OpBat and received confirmation that a United States Coast Guard helicopter had successfully rescued the two persons after three hours.

The victims were brought ashore.

Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police Mat Newton said, “I wish to express my profound gratitude and acknowledge the invaluable support of our national and international partners.

“This successful rescue operation is a testament to our collective strength and coordination. With the full support from our US partners and the local marine community, I extend my heartfelt thanks to our OpBat partners and the crew of the US Coastguard helicopter, as well as the Marine Branch of the RT&CIPF, the staff of the Department of Environment and Coastal Resources (DECR), the Department of Fisheries and Resources Management, Caribbean Cruisin, and vessels from the TCI Search and Rescue Association.

“We are now in the process of initiating an investigation into the accident in close liaison with the Civil Aviation Authority.”

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING