Connect with us

Government

Educational, Collaborative and very Cool; Hurricane Hunter Team with Strong Messages 

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm with Deandrea Hamilton

Editorial Staff 

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, April 26, 2023 – The possible arrival of weather system El Nino has prompted several early forecasts from AccuWeather and others predicting a less active Atlantic Hurricane season than usual but Jamie Rhome, Deputy Director of the National Hurricane Centre in a recent visit to the Turks and Caicos urged residents to ignore news surrounding El Nino.

“I want you all to ignore the headlines of El Nino and don’t fall in the trap– I can assure you hurricanes can and will form during El Nino years and will [do so] this season. We don’t know yet where they will go and who they will threaten but El Nino will not stop them from threatening communities ,” he said.

Rhone was speaking at the April 21st visit by the US National Hurricane Centre (NHS) Hurricane Hunter Aircraft and its team. The Hurricane Hunters who are from the NHS, the US National Oceanic Atmospheric Association and US Air Force Reserve, were back in the Turks and Caicos; they’d visited in 2017.

Rhone maintained the visit was a major investment and a purposeful one as well.

“That’s a big plane, it consumes a lot of fuel and there’s 23 personnel on board. That’s a big investment— what is it we’re trying to say by bringing it here? It’s a strong strong message that hurricanes are a big risk to this community and to your country,” he said.

Using Fiona as an example, the Deputy Director explained that storms were no longer allowing countries in their trajectory days of warning to prepare, rather they were intensifying rapidly and sometimes overnight.

“Increasingly how hurricanes manifest themselves is through this sudden quick intensification leaving people a day to prepare, sometimes even less. No longer can we wait for the storm to approach to prepare,” he warned, emphasizing preparation at the beginning of the season which begins on June 1.

While encouraging prior preparation, the deputy director provided insight to a problem that may go unnoticed, deaths of the elderly in the aftermath.

“I especially want you to think about the elderly, we’re seeing an increase in loss of life after storms due to the loss of power and the oppressive heat that often comes after these events.”

Residents and policy makers were admonished to think about things like this that were ‘beyond the immediate’ like stocking up on medication.

Dr. Holly Hamilton who heads the Meteorological Service in the Turks and Caicos led the event thanking the team for their service.

“It is an essential tool when it comes to Hurricane forecasting and tracking, the people on that plane risk their lives to go in and retrieve very important data that we use to predict and protect your lives,” she explained.

Anya Williams, Acting Governor assured the country that the country’s respective authorities were already preparing.

“We know that the hurricane season is from June to November but it’s important that we are prepared.  Earlier this week we had our first state of preparedness meeting with all ministries and departments to ensure that the government in the Turks and Caicos is as prepared as possible.”

That extends to the population as well, Williams maintained:  “No matter how prepared the government is, we are only properly prepared as our people are.”

E Jay Saunders, Deputy Premier and Finance Minister thanked the NOAA team, expressing his personal delight at the visit of the aircraft, commending the value of collaboration.

“I would like to emphasize the importance of working together in the face of adversity as Hellen Keller put it. It is through our collective efforts that we can make a difference,” he reminded. “Today we can make a significant impact in building a more secure and resilient Caribbean and Turks and Caicos Islands.”

He expressed his excitement to see the ‘incredible technology and dedication” that made the flights into hurricanes, which provide lifesaving information to the Turks and Caicos and the entire Caribbean, possible.

Arlington Musgrove, Minister of Immigration and Border Services emphasized preparation as well expressing his gratitude to the NOAA team.

“I appreciate you guys coming in and sharing your expertise with us, so let’s get all of their knowledge and then let’s share it with each other,” he offered as officials, students and other hurricane season stakeholders eagerly awaited the opportunity to see the parked aircraft up close.

Rhodes had one last request:  “I want you to walk away from the event with a newfound commitment to ready yourselves and your community for June 1.”

The aircraft was hosted at the Provo Air Center, near the Providenciales International Airport by the TCI Airports Authority.  A succinct welcome ceremony and expo were also staged to mark the visit which also included stops in Mexico, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Government

$94.1Mfor Health; Knowles Pushes to Keep Care at Home

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, April 25, 2026 – A major shift in how healthcare is delivered in the Turks and Caicos Islands is at the center of the Government’s latest budget, with a focus on reducing reliance on overseas treatment and strengthening services at home.

Presenting his contribution to the national debate, Kyle Knowles outlined a strategy aimed at building a more sustainable healthcare system—one that allows more residents to access quality care within the country.

The health sector has been allocated $94.1 million, making it one of the largest areas of public spending in the $550.8 million Budget passed on April 23.

Central to the Minister’s approach is a restructuring of the Treatment Abroad Programme (TAP), which has grown significantly in recent years as more patients are sent overseas for specialized care.

The Government now aims to reverse that trend.

“We are reforming healthcare to ensure long-term sustainability,” Knowles indicated, pointing to efforts to strengthen local services and reduce the need for travel.

The strategy includes improving healthcare infrastructure, expanding services available within the islands and increasing efficiency through the digitization of medical records.

Digitization is expected to support better coordination of care, reduce delays and allow for more accurate tracking of patient needs—part of a broader effort to modernize public services.

The Minister emphasized that the goal is not only cost control, but improved access.

“No family should have to leave home to get quality care,” he said, underscoring the Government’s intention to refocus healthcare delivery on local capacity.

The shift comes as rising healthcare costs continue to place pressure on public finances, with overseas treatment representing one of the most expensive components of the system.

By investing more heavily in domestic services, the Government is seeking to reduce that burden while improving outcomes for residents.

While the direction is clear, details on timelines and the pace of expansion for local services were not fully outlined in the presentation.

Still, the emphasis on sustainability, access and modernization signals a strategic pivot in how healthcare is expected to evolve in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING