Connect with us

Bahamas News

Colonial Masters, CARICOM is coming as Reparations Committee established

Published

on

By Sherrica Thompson

Staff Writer

 

 

March 2, 2023 – The issue of reparations continues to loom large for Caribbean nations; as such, CARICOM has established a Reparations committee to take on all its former colonial enslavers.

The disclosure was made by the incoming Chairman of CARICOM and Prime Minister of Dominica, Roosevelt Skerrit while responding to questions about support for reparations for Haiti at the closing of the 44TH Regular Meeting of CARICOM Heads of Government meeting held in the Bahamas recently.

The questioned pointed to France as also being responsible for the Humanitarian crisis in the republic.

“CARICOM has taken a decision to establish a mechanism to engage our former colonial countries on the question of reparation, and each country was mandated to also establish a national reparation committee to engage on this subject,” he said.

This Committee will be instrumental for the region as it will provide a united front for Caribbean countries as they seek compensation and justice for the atrocities and exploitations that Caribbean people faced during slavery for over 400 years.

While indicating that he does not believe the region should just accept ‘apologies’ for the atrocities faced during slavery, Prime Minister Skerit said CARICOM has been engaging in discussions on the issue of reparations and will continue to do so.

“The discussion on reparations, including reparations for the Haitian people, is all part of the discussions that we’re having at the Caribbean Community level. There’s no doubt we believe as Caribbean people that some kind of recompense needs to be provided to us.

“We’ll continue to engage at the regional level but also at the national levels as well and engage the former colonial masters on the issue and the question of reparations for our countries,” Skerit stated.

Prime Minister of Barbados, Mia Motley, also chimed in on the discussion, with: “We do take note of the fact that the Netherlands has started the ball, is it adequate,  is it appropriate? All of that may be the subject of many discussions and agreement and disagreement but suffice to say that a least the ball has started to roll with respect to the Netherlands statement.

Adding, “I think they need to go further, and I think that our engagement with Europe has to be at a level where… we place these matters for mature consideration recognising that we are the victims now of a double jeopardy.”

Motley committed the Caribbean Community to a subcommittee meeting “ shortly”; to be held to discuss the burgeoning issue in detail.

Earlier this month, the Trevelyan family, a former sugar plantation owner in Grenada, announced that it wants to set a world trend by paying reparations in a sum of £100,000, or approximately 120,478.00 USD, to the people of Grenada.

It demonstrated a small, yet positive step and precedent toward claiming financial reparations.

Bahamas News

Over a Week Later, Bahamians Still Waiting on Full Election Numbers

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – More than a week after Bahamians voted in the country’s 2026 General Election, complete official constituency voting figures still have not been publicly released by the Parliamentary Registration Department.

While winners have been declared across the country’s expanded 41-seat Parliament, no centralized official breakdown showing constituency vote totals, turnout percentages, rejected ballots or margins of victory appears to have been published publicly.

The Progressive Liberal Party is widely reported to have secured 33 seats, while the Free National Movement won eight seats, according to tallies carried by several media houses, including the Nassau Guardian’s election tracker and other regional reports.

Still missing, however, are the underlying numbers which would allow the public to independently assess voter participation levels across the country’s 41 constituencies.

That absence is drawing increasing attention following an election already marked by concerns over long lines, advanced polling confusion, voter register complaints and questions about election administration.

Unofficial turnout estimates circulating in local media place national voter participation near 58 percent. If confirmed, that would represent the lowest voter turnout in modern Bahamian general election history.

Historically, The Bahamas has recorded strong election participation rates, with turnout often exceeding 80 percent in previous decades. But participation declined sharply in 2021, when official turnout fell to roughly 65 percent — at the time considered historically low.

Now, the Coalition of Independents says it plans to challenge aspects of the election process in Election Court and is escalating its criticism of the handling of the vote.

In a sharply worded statement issued to media, Coalition Leader Lincoln Bain announced the party will boycott the opening of Parliament, insisting the election was “flawed from start to finish.”

The Coalition claims the country cannot “celebrate ceremony while justice is ignored,” arguing that unresolved election concerns continue to hang over the legitimacy of the process.

Among the concerns raised by the COI are:

  • allegations of voter register irregularities;
  • claims that the voters register remained open after Parliament was dissolved;
  • accusations of vote buying;
  • concerns tied to the Pinewood constituency race;
  • alleged constitutional breaches involving undeclared government contracts;
  • and alleged conflicts of interest involving gaming operators serving in Cabinet.

The Coalition also referenced allegations surrounding criminal influence and drug-related claims connected to political operations, while calling for what it describes as a “serious local investigation.”

In its statement, the COI said there has been “no proper public accounting, no local investigation announced, and no Commission of Inquiry launched into these matters.”

The group is now demanding a formal Commission of Inquiry into the conduct of the election and related allegations.

Bain said the boycott of Parliament is “not a boycott of democracy” but instead “a stand in defence of democracy.”

The statement further argues that Parliament itself must be protected from “corruption, conflicts of interest, criminal influence, and electoral fraud.”

So far, election authorities have not publicly indicated when complete certified constituency voting figures will be formally released.

And that delay is becoming increasingly significant because the missing data includes the very numbers needed to understand whether Bahamians truly disengaged from the electoral process in record numbers.

If unofficial turnout estimates are accurate, it would mean voter participation in 2026 either matched or fell below the historically low 2021 election turnout — despite The Bahamas recording one of its largest voter registration totals ever, with more than 209,000 people listed to vote.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS RATING UPGRADE: A WIN—BUT NOT A FREE PASS

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – With elections days away, The Bahamas has picked up a headline-friendly win: a credit rating upgrade.

Here’s the one-liner that matters most:

A higher rating can mean cheaper borrowing for the government—over time.

That’s the upside. When lenders see less risk, they demand lower interest. That can ease the cost of financing big projects and managing national debt.

But that’s only part of the story.

Moody’s Ratings has upgraded The Bahamas to Ba3 from B1, citing stronger fiscal discipline, improved liquidity and a more stable funding strategy. It also points to better tax collection, controlled spending and continued strength in tourism as key drivers.

Moody’s expects the government to maintain solid primary surpluses—essentially bringing in more than it spends before debt payments—and projects national debt to decline from 72.5% of GDP to around 68% by 2027.

That’s progress.

But here’s the reality check.

The Bahamas is still below investment grade. In plain terms, the country remains in speculative territory, meaning investors still see a higher level of risk compared to more stable economies.

Debt, while improving, is still elevated. And the economy remains heavily dependent on tourism—a sector that can shift quickly with global conditions, weather events or geopolitical shocks.

Even Moody’s signals that more work is needed. Further upgrades depend on:

  • sustained reductions in debt
  • improved debt affordability
  • and continued access to favourable financing

So while the upgrade reflects real gains, it is not a finish line.

It is a signal that the country is moving in the right direction—but must stay disciplined to keep that momentum.

For voters heading to the polls, the takeaway is simple:

The Bahamas has strengthened its financial position—but the fundamentals still need work.

The progress is real.

The challenge now is to make it last.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING