Connect with us

Bahamas News

Deputy Premier viewed FTX as too risky; no TCIG funds invested

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm 

Staff Writer 

 

#TurksandCaicos, December 16, 2022 – The Finance Minister of the Turks & Caicos expressed extreme skepticism about investing in Cryptocurrencies, adding that no TCI Government monies went down in the epic billion dollar collapse of FTX Digital Bahamas.

In a statement obtained by Magnetic Media E Jay Saunders, TCI Deputy Premier and Minister of Finance said, “I’m not sure if anyone from the TCI invested in FTX, but I wouldn’t be surprised,” he said, directing us to the Financial Services Commission.

What Saunders could tell us though was that no Government funds had been caught up in the affair. In response to our queries he replied with, “No, of course not. I’m very, very cautious when it comes to Crypto – mainly because it allows for the globalization of crime – and I certainly wouldn’t sign off on the TCI Government or Statutory Bodies investing in it.”

The statement by Saunders rings true over and over again as new CEO John Ray III revealed that hundreds of records have just disappeared into thin air. He said FTX’s collapse was caused in part by a complete lack of experience in its senior leadership and little to no proper governance structures in the company in a hearing before the US Congress on Tuesday December 13.

“The FTX group’s collapse appears to stem from absolute concentration of control in the hands of a small group of grossly inexperienced and unsophisticated individuals who failed to implement virtually any of the systems or controls that are necessary for a company that is entrusted with other people’s money or assets,” he explained.

The fill-in CEO who has extensive experience in managing failed companies like FTX said this was the worst one he had ever seen.

Not only did senior management have free access to customer funds and could move them at will, the security which protected the private keys for millions of dollars was ineffective and poorly encrypted. Another company owned by SBF and headed by an ex-girlfriend of his, Alameda was able to borrow as much FTX funds as it wanted at will.

Ray said the company also could not provide complete documents made for more than 500 investments with company funds and there was a lack of personnel in financial and risk management functions, which are usually present in any company close to the size of FTX Group.

Alarm bells about FTX which has its home in The Bahamas began to ring all across the globe when the company filed for Bankruptcy on Friday November 11 and customers were suddenly locked out of their trading accounts, unable to withdraw the millions they had stored with the company.

Bowing to the desperate pleas of its citizens who had invested, the United States launched a federal fraud investigation alleging that former CEO, Sam Bankman-Fried had been intentionally using customer funds for his own gain.

Ray says he has already found $1 billion worth of assets but is convinced that may not be everything and says Bankman-Fried or other senior officers may have squirreled away funds on thumb drives.

Complete recovery will be difficult because of the extremely poor record-keeping done by Bankman Fried and his team but Ray is committed to the task and says US investors will recoup their assets.

For now, it is unknown if Turks and Caicos Islanders were drawn in by the lure and promise of lucrative returns pitched to the global community by FTX, once the world’s third largest crypto currency exchange.

Magnetic Media has reached out to Nigel Dakin, TCI Governor, who oversees the regulatory aspect of the FSC for answers.

 

Photo Caption: Some 3.5 Million people have viewed the FTX Hearing on PBS News Hour alone. Sam Bankman-Fried, the former CEO of FTX Digital in The Bahamas was due to appear at this hearing on December 13; he was arrested in Nassau, Bahamas the day before and arraigned on the day of this hearing designed to unearth and expose the alleged misdeeds of the crypto currency exchange which filed for bankruptcy in the US.  Testifying was John Ray III, who is the interim CEO of FTX, which is based in The Bahamas.

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING