Connect with us

Caribbean News

GUYANA:  Brackish water shrimp production advancing in Region Six

Published

on

By Kellon Rover, GPI

 

#Guyana, March 31, 2022 –   The introduction of brackish water shrimp production, which is one of the measures the government has been pushing, is advancing well in Region Six. This measure was taken due to the worldwide issue of low fish catches that have impacted the local fisheries industry.

His Excellency, Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali has said aquaculture is a very important component of the agriculture sector, which will never fail under the PPP/C Government. Aquaculture refers to the rearing, breeding and harvesting of aquatic species, both animals and plants, in environments such as oceans, lakes, rivers, ponds and streams.

At Plantation Borlam, Erwin Abdulla praised the initiative, citing that it has the potential to stimulate economic growth, specifically for export and food sustainability.

“Right now, we have four ponds completed and we still have 10 more to complete under this first phase of development of the semi-intensive system. We are now producing close to four times what we used to produce. When those other 10 ponds are finished, we should be producing like 60 tons of shrimp or more,” Abdulla told DPI.

He believes that the project is beyond rearing of shrimps, explaining that the new venture has already created a number of job opportunities.

“We have over 24 people employed on this part of the project and by the time we are in full production, we would be employing probably 50 or more. We are in a process right now of establishing a security firm because stealing is a very challenging thing that we face and now with intensive aquaculture, we will be having much more shrimp, the inducive for people to come and steal will be much greater.”

He added, “the turnaround time to clean the ponds to get all the predators out was very long, but with the initiative by the government, clearing of the sand bank by the pontoon, digging the outfall drains and drainage system, helping us with tubes, have seen our production in this particular farm multiplying four times.”

Like Abdulla, Chairman of the East Berbice Corentyne Aquaculture Cooperative Society Limited, Suedat Persaud, anticipates the region’s shrimp production accelerating up to 450,000 tons per year.

“This initiative has improved the aquaculture sector to where we could actually now take three times the volume of water, and this volume of water will assist in the el nino period where the heat will not affect the shrimps and the fish. And even in the la nina period, the flooding, we have high dams that can combat flooding now,” fisherman Persaud explained.

Persaud also boasted about the upgraded drainage and irrigation systems. “…what has also happened, we received pipes and installed them. The drainage has improved and the overall aquaculture sector has improved in Region Six.”

Balwant Singh is another farmer benefitting from the first ever government sponsored shrimp production in the ancient county.

Just off the Berbice River Bridge at Fortlands East Canje, the budding agriculturist operates four shrimp ponds, all measuring at least three acres.

“This project started last year July and this is because of the government. They actually reach out to shrimp farmers and was offering help to make our farm sustainable and to assist in the community. On this farm we will be hiring a few people after it gets off its leg,” Singh underscored.

The preparation phase of the project was successful, he explained, as he credited the expertise and guidance of the fisheries department. Singh would visit his farm on a daily basis to monitor the production, ensuring there is no leakage of water.

And while he is excited about expanding his production, “…I have never done this before, I am doing it because of their assistance. After this, I would know how to proceed and expand. Right now, we have shrimp in here and I am sure that we will do good because I have seen a lot of fingerlings came in.”

He highly anticipates the harvesting phase within the next four to six weeks.

Since taking office on August 2, 2020, the administration has been paying significant attention to the nation’s fisheries sector, to ensure the livelihood of fisherfolk is maintained.

More than $743.7 million was allocated to advance the fisheries and aquaculture sub sector and ensure continued development of the industry this year.

Some $230 million has been committed to rehabilitate an additional 63 shrimp farms this year. This is expected to increase production to 500,000 kilograms per year, with an estimated value of over $300 million per annum.

The shrimp production is a major contributor to food security and livelihoods in Region Six. The industry has significant potential to be upgraded to produce over 300 per cent of its current production.

Meanwhile, the PPP/C Government will continue the momentum of expanding the fisheries industry. It has committed an additional $200 million to initiate the culture to develop marine cage fish farming in Guyana.

This is expected to benefit over 135 persons, including hinterland communities, fish farmers, and particularly fishermen who are seeking alternative means of earning.

 

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

CARICOM Presses for Peace as Hormuz Conflict Drives Up Caribbean Costs 

Published

on

May 22, 2026 – The Caribbean Community is warning that the escalating conflict surrounding the Strait of Hormuz is now directly threatening Caribbean economies, driving up the cost of fuel, food and freight across a region heavily dependent on imports.

In a statement issued this week, CARICOM expressed “serious concern” over the worsening hostilities in the Middle East and the growing instability affecting one of the world’s most critical shipping corridors.

CARICOM said it is alarmed by: “the severe loss of life, threats to civil infrastructure, and the instability in global markets” resulting from the conflict.

The regional bloc warned that disruption in maritime transit through the Strait of Hormuz is reverberating across the global economy through: “energy markets, supply chains and increased freight costs.”

For Caribbean citizens, those consequences are already becoming painfully visible.

In Nassau, gasoline prices have surged again, with regular fuel now nearing or exceeding seven dollars per gallon at some stations. Consumers in other CARICOM countries are also reporting higher transportation costs, rising grocery bills and mounting pressure on household budgets.

The fear among regional leaders is that the crisis is far from over.

Roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas normally passes through the Strait of Hormuz, making it one of the most strategically important waterways in global trade. Analysts warn prolonged disruption could trigger even higher global inflation and deeper supply chain instability.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has now warned that the crisis could become a: “systemic agrifood shock” capable of triggering a severe global food price crisis within six to twelve months.

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable because of its dependence on imported fuel, imported food and imported manufactured goods.

A recent UN regional analysis warned that shockwaves from the Middle East conflict are already reaching Caribbean nations, where rising oil prices and freight costs are increasing the price of imported food, electricity and transportation.

Global institutions are also sounding increasingly dire warnings.

The World Bank projects energy prices could surge by 24 percent this year because of the conflict, while fertilizer prices may jump by more than 30 percent — increases likely to feed directly into higher food costs worldwide.

The International Monetary Fund has meanwhile warned the global economy could face a “much worse outcome” if the conflict drags into 2027 and oil prices continue climbing.

CARICOM is now calling for all parties to respect international law and preserve safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The Community stressed that transit passage:  “should not be contingent on any license, levy, or authorization,” and warned that bordering states should not “hamper or suspend” the movement of vessels through the corridor.

CARICOM also called for:  “cessation of hostilities” and urged “de-escalation and restraint by all parties.”

But for many Caribbean citizens, the economic pain is already here.

And with fuel nearing seven dollars per gallon in parts of The Bahamas, regional governments are facing renewed pressure over cost of living concerns, inflation and the Caribbean’s continued dependence on imported energy and food supplies.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF STEWART TOURISM EMPIRE PLAYS OUT IN COURTS

Published

on

May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute.  It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.

At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.

The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.

In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.

One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.

For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.

But the matter is far from settled.

Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.

The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.

Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.

Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.

For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge.  He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.

Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING