Connect with us

Bahamas News

Governor Announces New Defence Plan; Do Not Underestimate TCI

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#TurksandCaicos, December 11, 2021 – “We’re moving from the defense to the offense. We want to find the people responsible for this trade and we want them in our prisons serving long sentences.”

Less than two weeks after the latest, deadly migrant mishap Governor Nigel Dakin has rolled out a brand new border defense plan for the Turks and Caicos Islands in concert with the Bahamas and the United States.

The plan sees major upgrades for personnel and equipment across the TCI and new partnerships to seal the deal.

Governor Dakin laid out four things he said the Turks and Caicos had to do in order to effectively man their borders. These were: Creating circles of defense that would allow the alliance to intercept vessels before they touched shore; to have surveillance good enough to detect and stop before they reached TCI waters; to take down the networks that facilitate the activities and finally to decrease what he called ‘Pull factors’ that make the TCI seem so attractive to irregular migrants.

“I and the NSC have to live in the real world, not the world we would wish it to be, and we have to be realistic that the push factors out of Haiti are not going to reduce any time soon.  The trend is the opposite way. We in TCI have to be in charge of our destiny, not the victim of others. What is entirely within our personal gift is we can reduce the pull factors that bring irregular migrants to our shores,” said the Governor in a Thursday press conference to announce the new tri-lateral strategy, held from the Governor’s Office in Providenciales.

In order to achieve these objectives the Governor announced Plans for Land, Air and Sea, combined with the US, Bahamas agreement it is a threefold partnership in every sense of the word.

In an effort to protect land and sea the Governor announced the consolidation of the Maritime Police and the Radar Operation into a new Maritime base.  This base which will start operating on April 1st. will include a Maritime Operations Control Center for the units and will be able to assist officers stationed at sea.

“So as an interim step, the Government has committed to building a new Marine Base and within that there will be a Maritime Operations Control Facility that will fuse all activity working in support of this mission.  As part of the journey, a decision was made by the NSC last week that the Radar Operation – that now does so much more than just irregular migration – will move from the Ministry of Immigration to the Maritime Police bringing two first class, but separate units together, to ensure maximum collaboration. That will happen on 1 April.”

But that was not all, the ranks of the Maritime Police force is set to grow to nearly double what it stands at now and benefit from two new boats.

The scope of the radar is set to triple with the help of new equipment.

“As our radar becomes ever more comprehensive, we risk becoming a victim of our own success and we may have many more sightings of suspicious craft. How we best resolve if these are ‘friend or foe’ depends on the increase in numbers that the radar see – we don’t necessarily want the Maritime Police having to intercept each one which would be inefficient. So the NSC has not ruled out investing in fixed wing drone technology to complement our radar activity if that becomes necessary, and the NSC has received some preparatory briefing on this.”

The TCI Regiment is also set to increase in number and will be operating on land and sea by 2023. The TCI regiment will be trained by British Military officers and are set to have actual barracks soon.

“As promised the Regiment has been formed and was stood up during the pandemic. It has a presence in both Grand Turk and Providenciales.  It’s already operational and gaining plaudits for its support to counter-migration work from the Minister of Immigration. It’s staffed by brilliant committed people, regular and reserve alike, and it will grow year-on-year over the next two years to be around 100 Marines.  Given how new it is, it’s already operating well beyond our early expectations, but by 2023 it will be operating on land and sea to a very high standard indeed.”

Finally a new ‘Ship Rider’ agreement will allow for TCI officers to ride on Bahamian vessels stationed in the water between the Turks and Caicos and Haiti

The end goal of the drastic improvement of seafaring and land based forces is for the TCI to have their very own Coast Guard which the Governor says makes sense if the island is to be successful at managing the crisis.

In relation to the airports Dakin said, “Those entering our country illegally, or overstaying, come as much by air as by sea. The first step will be to combine the enforcement arms of Customs and Immigration to form a Border Force.  That decision has now been taken. As I speak a top team from our Immigration Ministry is in UK looking at their digitised airport security features including pre-registration and e-gates. If we get this right, and I believe UK Border Force and Home Office will support us, in what is intelligence led border protection, those we know will do us ‘no harm’ – such as locals returning home and those arriving from our main markets – should have a seamless arrival and departure at our ports while our Border Force officers focus properly on those who bring the greatest risk.”

It is with this in mind that Dakin said an official Border Force would comprise the enforcement arms of Customs and Immigration.

He said if the TCI could get the intelligence based type of border control right, then citizens, tourists and returning residents would not be affected. This means that people who he stays ‘pose a great risk’ would be caught in a technological bottleneck. To assist the Border Force from above, a ‘top team’ has been appointed. This team consists of the minister of immigration and deputy secretaries who have experience in policing and customer service to make the new processesas smooth and effective  as they can be.

He described the changes to come as once in a generation.

He made specific mention of the boat runners who facilitate the illegal trade of migrants saying that these people under proposed legislation will see a minimum term of seven years in prison and an unlimited fine.

“If the situation is getting worse another reason our allies came is because they now know we are serious because we have shown that seriousness. I said two years ago – when I first travelled to Miami and Nassau – that our allies should not underestimate my ambition, and they should not underestimate TCI’s ambition, and that was because it was hard for us in TCI – to overstate the threat illegal migration was to us.”

Dakin said All of these proposed changes would make the TCI far less attractive to the people who facilitate ‘people smuggling’ on all levels and should make the Turks and Caicos safer for its citizens.

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING