#TurksandCaicos, July 15, 2021 – The Turks and Caicos Sports Commission will host summer camps on four islands in the archipelago and by the information shared with media and these are not your ordinary sports camps. In fact, the program is dubbed: Sports Performance Camp and began in Bottle Creek, North Caicos since yesterday.
Important to note, the camp is an invitation only program, with athletes ages 13-19, selected based on recommendations by their High School coaches/Physical Education teachers.
The Commission informed their performance camps will allow facilitators to:
- Observe athletes and evaluate athletic ability to identify talent; Introduce concept of Sports Performance Training to the community
- Set the standard for training mentality, effort, and attitude
- Educate athletes on the mental, physical, and educational demands involved with progressing to the next level
- Identify local coaches interested in learning more about sports performance
- Teach coaches more about sports performance and how they can better help their athletes moving forward
- Provide a safe, fun, educational and productive environment for the whole community to see some of the many benefits of sports.
Next stop for the Camp is South Caicos July 15 thru 17; then onto Grand Turk, July 22 thru 24 and Providenciales camp runs July 29 thru 31st.
The Providenciales Camp will include guest facilitators from the United States, namely, former NFL linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, Hannibal Navies and former running back for the New England Patriots, J.R. Redmond. Both Navies and Redmond come with extensive resumes with experience in Youth Development and Sports Education.
The countrywide camps are being facilitated by the new Director of Sports Performance, Travis Crittenden, and a team of coaches and volunteers. Check out the TCI Sports Commission on Facebook for more information.