Sean Astwood is resigning frontline politics, saying he will step aside as interim leader and deputy leader to allow the People’s Democratic Movement the opportunity to re-invent itself.
“As the PDM continues to reengineer, reimagine, rethink, reboot and reconnect with the wonderful people of the Turks and Caicos Islands, I want to assure the Official Opposition Leader Hon. Edwin Astwood, the NGC, our various branches, especially the Provo Branch (my home branch), PDMs everywhere and all people of the Turks and Caicos Islands, that I remain committed to the orderly development of our party and country,” said Astwood in a statement issued on Sunday May 30.
The former Deputy Premier of the Turks and Caicos said he never anticipated rising to such ranks in his early days as a member of the People’s Democratic Movement, but is grateful for his experiences in the political arena.
“As a believer in the Party of JAGS MCCartney I started this political journey nearly two decades ago. Initially, as political neophyte who always assisted people but never contemplated political service. My journey began with great hope and soon what I thought, at the time, was a devastating legal and political defeat. Since then, this journey with its many ups and down has afforded me to raise to the position within the party politically as Interim Leader and from governance standpoint of Deputy Premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands holding multiple Ministerial posts. This journey has provided me a profound appreciation for the beauty and potential of our country and its people.”
One day from commemorating the impact of the first chief minister and founding father of his party, the People’s Democratic Movement and Rt Most Excellent JAGS McCartney; Sean Astwood has decided that on June 4, 2021 his resignation should take effect.
Advertisement
“I take pride in my membership of the PDM and the outstanding work we have done; especially in the past term in protecting the environment, positively impacting every constituency throughout our islands, particularly through infrastructural works, and our focus on transforming the way Government does business. I am proud of my service in the various capacities over these many years. I do not claim perfection, but I am resolute in my belief that every single day I got up thinking and doing what I could to provide better for all the people of the TCI; and to protect our country and its environs for those yet unborn. On Monday, May 31st, 2021, our Country will be celebrating JAGS McCartney Day, formerly National Heroes Day. We will be celebrating the father of our Nation and of the PDM. As the JAGS McCartney holiday quickly approaches, the party of JAGS must continue to rebuild,” he penned in the statement.
The People’s Democratic Movement suffered a staggering loss at the polls on February 19; the day after its party leader Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson resigned from the leadership position. Now, 100 days later so does its deputy and interim leader, Sean Astwood.
“As I step aside as Interim Leader and the position as Deputy Leader of the PDM effective this 4th day of June 2021, I know our party will continue to be strong, and represent the people of these beautiful islands, we call home.”
The party has been silent. Holding no media conferences or in person sessions with the wider press core since its 14 to 1 defeat in the 2021 General Election. The PDM lost significant ground; nine seats lured away by the now governing Progressive National Party, even as the PDM held 45 per cent of the vote.
Sean Astwood’s Five Cays and Chalk Sound constituency was one of the major upsets. The two-term member of parliament, who had enjoyed huge popularity just four years prior, was unseated by Rachel Taylor.
“My undying love for our people, our country and our party, the People’s Democratic Movement, will forever burn. My passion for modernizing our government systems, party, and country, I trust, will continue to be advanced as we grow from strength to strength,” he added a thank you, “I am thankful to God and the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands; especially my people of Five Cays, South Dock and Chalk Sound for the wonderful opportunity.”
Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.
Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.
Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.
According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.
The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.
Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.
However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.
The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.
[New York, NY – August 20, 2026] – BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter. The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.
The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area. This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027. Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.
The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.
Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.
While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.
Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.
Expanded Winter Season
To South Caicos:
Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
To Turks and Caicos:
Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.
“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”
The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry. All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.
“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”
For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com
SALT CAY — Residents say Salt Cay’s prolonged water shortage remains unresolved, with no visible activity or relief from the measures Government said would be advanced last week.
The crisis began in June after a critical filter failed at the island’s reverse osmosis plant, severely disrupting local water production. Residents told Magnetic Media Tuesday morning that neither the replacement filter nor the promised bulk shipment of emergency water appeared to have arrived.
Minister of Innovation, Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders, however, said the filter is already on Salt Cay.
“The RO filter is on Salt Cay and it’s being installed,” Saunders told Magnetic Media.
The large emergency water shipment has not materialised. Saunders said transporting more than 1,000 gallons in a single container requires a barge, and officials are still attempting to source one.
Government had previously indicated that it would try to deliver up to 2,500 gallons to partially replenish Salt Cay’s depleted storage tanks while repairs continued.
Saunders had initially projected that the RO plant would be fully operational by August 19. He now says the system is expected to return to full operation “in a few days.”
For residents, however, the immediate reality remains unchanged: the shortage continues, the bulk water has not arrived and the promised relief is not yet flowing.