#Providenciales, June 13, 2019 – Turks and Caicos – The Turks & Caicos Islands Airports Authority (TCIAA) notifies the traveling public and the community of Salt Cay that the Airport rehabilitation project is anticipated to commence of physical works late July or early August 2019. The Airport will be closed for the duration of the project, which is estimated for (10) weeks, weather permitting.
The timing of this project is crucial, as the TCIAA is making every effort to ensure that the works are undertaken at a time when the Airport closure poses the least constraints to the community of Salt Cay.
Provision is made for the installation of a temporary helipad to accommodate emergency operations for the duration of the project.
The general works will conform to the standard and recommended practices of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 14, as prescribed by the local Civil Aviation Authority; and include:
- Rehabilitating the runway, taxiway and apron underlying and pavement surfaces;
- Apron expansion;
- Pavement line markings and airfield signage;
- Definition of the runway longitudinal and transverse strips and safety ends;
- Stormwater drainage improvements;
- Airfield electrical improvements; and
- Airfield perimeter fence relocation and installation.
The TCIAA apologizes in advance for the inconvenience, but the undertaking is imperative in restoring safe and regular Air Transport to the island of Salt Cay. The project commencement date will be announced in due course.