Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Government Signs Contract to Clean-Up West End’s Dump Site

Published

on

#Freeport, GB, March 15, 2019 – Bahamas – Minister of the Environment and Housing, the Hon. Romauld Ferreira, along with Minister of State for Grand Bahama, Senator the Hon. Kwasi Thompson and Member of Parliament for West End and Bimini, Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe came together in the Office of the Prime Minister for the signing of a contract, for the clean-up of the West End dump, Thursday, March 14, 2019.

Senator Thompson noted that the current West End dump site was set in place as a temporary stop gap measure for the depositing of debris and solid waste that remained after Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

However, he noted that throughout the years, the site has become an eyesore and an environmental health issue for the residents of and visitors to the West End community.

“Today, I am pleased to announce that after strong representations from the Member of Parliament as well as the Administrator, the Office of the Prime Minister Grand Bahama has been given the mandate along with the Ministry of the Environment and Housing, to pool our resources and to clean-up the unsightly location,” said Minister Thompson.

“The Ministry of Works has assessed the site and they have informed us that there is approximately one acre of land along Bayshore Road with 260 plus tons of debris.

“It is our intention to keep this site clean and limit the amount of waste that is being deposited until a more permanent transfer site can be established. Rest assured, we are actively working on establishing a more suitable site for the community of West End.”

The clean-up will be carried out by a resident of West End, Ian Bowe, and his company. They were awarded a contract for $81,000. Minister Thompson said he has been assured that with the help of his hardworking team, Mr. Bowe will get the job done efficiently and swiftly.

The Minister of the Environment and Housing, said he was happy to have his Ministry be a part of the clean-up in West End.

He noted that the last time he was in Grand Bahama, he led the launch of the “Be a Hero” clean-up campaign for Freeport. The program focused on encouraging young people to take pride in their environment and initiate clean-up projects.

“The second phase of that campaign involves reaching out to communities and associations, like church groups and civic groups. So, this then becomes our first program where we are working with an Association and the Member of Parliament for a particular area,” said Minister Ferreira.

“We want to make a meaningful contribution in the lives of the people that live in West End, and who have to pass that dump every day. We want it to be impactful for them, because they deserve a clean environment like everyone else.

“We make this appeal, as we go into the second phase of our ‘Be a Hero’ campaign that the people can reach out to us because the Ministry of Environment works for the people of The Bahamas. So we look at this project as an essential component of our work.”

The signing of Thursday’s contract was as a result of persistence that paid off.

Both Minister Kwasi Thompson and Minister Romauld Ferreira admitted that the Member of Parliament for the West End and Bimini constituency, and Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, was very persistent in appealing for something to be done with the West End dump.

“We congratulate her for her persistence and we assure her of our continued support in all worthwhile endeavours,” added Minister Ferreira.

Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe, on behalf of the residents of West Grand Bahama, thanked both the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of Grand Bahama for “hearing their plea” and coming together to ensure that the dump is finally cleaned up.

“In coming to office, our constituents were very concerned about the eye sore of the dump and since then, we have been working feverishly to bring a remedy to the situation,” added Mrs. Edgecombe. “It is very important that we keep our environment clean. I believe that we are a product of our environment and for West End, we do not wish to have any garbage at all.

“I take this opportunity to appeal to the residents of West End that in the cleaning up of this site that we move forward together to ensure that our community is kept clean. We are going to work towards making sure that all of our surrounding areas are cleaned and that includes the entire West Grand Bahama district.

“So, you will see in the coming weeks and in the coming months that intense clean-up campaigns will be underway. We do not think of just today, but we think about the future and every day to make sure that our environment remains clean.”

Work on the clean-up is expected to start as early as Monday, March 18, 2019.

Minister Thompson invited every resident of West End to partner with the government, as it works to clean-up the environment and reduce the incidences of indiscriminate dumping in the West End community.

By: Andrew Coakley

Press Release: BIS

Photo Caption: Minister of the Environment and Housing, the Hon. Romauld Ferreira (Centre) along with Minister of State for Grand Bahama, Senator the Kwasi Thompson (second from right) and Member of Parliament for West Grand Bahama and Bimini, Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe (second from left) were all a part of a contract signing for the cleanup of the West End Dump, during a press conference, Thursday, March 14, 2019, in the Office of the Prime Minister. Also on hand were Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, Harcourt Brown (right) and Ian Bowe of Bowe’s Trucking and Contractor for the clean-up project (left). 

(BIS Photo/Andrew Miller)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING