Rodney Bay, January 29, 2019 – St. Lucia – The Caribbean Democrat Union (CDU) held its Annual General Meeting from Friday January 25th to Sunday January 29th at the Coco Palm Resort in Rodney Bay, St. Lucia. The meeting brought together Political Leaders from moderate and centre-right political parties within the CDU Network from the following countries – Jamaica, Turks and Caicos Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis, Anguilla, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada.
Presentations were made by Ms. Marta Corti, International Programme Manager, UK Conservative Party and Mr. Johnny Calliste, Chairman of the Caribbean Young Democrat Union (CYDU). In addition, Mr. Nick Francis, Secretary General and Public Relations Officer of the CDU presented his report on the activities in the network during 2018. There was also a special presentation by Rev. Zagery Oliver from the Universal Peace Federation.
Political Party Representatives presented country reports which included policy initiatives and priority areas for continued growth and development. A major theme during the meeting was the need for greater engagement with women and youth by political parties across the network.
The following members were elected to serve on the CDU Executive Board for 2019:
- CDU Chair – Hon. Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson, Political Leader, Peoples Democratic Movement, Turks and Caicos Islands.
- CDU Vice Chair (Policy & External Affairs) – Hon. Dr. Godwin Friday, President, New Democratic Party, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- CDU Vice Chair (Women & Minorities) – Ms. Kimberley McLeod, Vice President G2K, Jamaica Labour Party.
- CDU Vice Chair (Organizational Support) – Hon. Anthony Boatswain, Treasurer, New National Party, Grenada.
- CDU Treasurer – Hon. Pearnel Charles Jr., Jamaica Labour Party
- CDU Secretary General/Public Relations Officer – Mr. Nick Francis, Youth Advisor, New Democratic Party, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- CYDU Chair – Mr. Johnny Calliste, New National Party, Grenada.
The meeting concluded with representatives from the political parties signing the following pledge: “to deliver and promote Inclusive and Effective Governance to our people through greater Transparency and Accountability, Improved Policy Making and Delivery, Increased Participation of our Women and Youth, Effective Representation and Free and Fair Elections.”
Release: Caribbean Democrat Union
Photo Caption: From Left to Right: Rev. Zagery Oliver Universal Peace Federation; Hon. Anthony Boatswain New National Party Grenada; Hon. Dr. Godwin Friday President New Democratic Party St. Vincent and the Grenadines; Ms. Kimberley McLeod Vice President G2K Jamaica Labour Party; Hon. Shawn Richards Political Leader Peoples Action Movement St. Kitts & Nevis; Mr. Nick Francis Youth Advisor New Democratic Party St. Vincent and the Grenadines; Mr. Johnny Calliste CYDU Chairman; Hon. Palmavon Webster Leader of the Opposition Anguilla; Mr. Johnson Boston Chairman Dominica Freedom Party.