Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Minister Dames Highlights Crime-Fighting and RBPF Initiatives

Published

on

#Nassau, January 10, 2019 – Bahamas – Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin H. Dames, said, on January 6, 2019, that, despite the accomplishments that the Royal Bahamas Police Force officers may have had over the previous year, the nation was still faced with an unacceptable level of crime and fear of crime.

“Our Government understands that we cannot simply ‘arrest’ our way of this issue,” Minister Dames said, during the RBPF Annual Church Service, held at Annex Baptist Cathedral, Wulff and Pinedale Roads. “So since coming to office almost 2 years ago, we have attacked crime from its roots by making criminal justice improvements, increasing educational achievement, improving social justice, reintegrating offenders, and creating economic empowerment initiatives.”

Among those in attendance were Prime Minister Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis; Acting Permanent at the Ministry of National Secretary Eugene Poitier; Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson; Commander of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force Commodore Tellis Bethel; Acting Commissioner of Correctional Services Charles Murphy; Comptroller of Customs Dr. Geannine Moss; Director of Immigration Clarence Russell; senior officers and heads of uniformed branches of Government, including the Road Traffic Department and the Airport Authority; President of the Bahamas Christian Council Bishop Delton Fernander and numerous BCC members; members of the clergy; and family members of those members of the uniformed branches present who died in 2018.

Minister Dames stated that the Citizen Security and Justice Programme was one such initiative, that had already impacted the lives of many at-risk youth.

“Last year, we signed a contract with the National Training Agency for a programme that equips at-risk youth with the skills they need to make an honest living,” he said. “There are now 278 participants who will be completing the programme at the end of this month; 30 of whom have already secured full time jobs.”

Minister Dames noted that the Government had also signed a contract with the Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute which allows inmates at the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services to earn technical and vocational skills before they are released back into society. This will allow them to have skills to earn an honest living and a second chance of living a crime free life, he noted.

“The first cohort of 110 inmates graduated last year and the second cohort of 110 are now in the programme,” Minister Dames said. “This is an important aspect of our rehabilitation and reintegration efforts, which will have a positive impact on crime in the medium term.”

Minister Dames noted that the establishment of the Advisory Council on Crime was another initiative that his Ministry would be completing in 2019. He added that Dr. David Allen had been identified as a suitable Chairperson.

“With his guidance, the Council will provide us with creative ideas and advice that will bolster our Government’s crime fighting plan,” he said.

Investments in the “latest and greatest” police technology and equipment were ongoing and were another key component in supporting the professionalization of Bahamian armed forces, Minister Dame stated.

“In a few weeks, we will be signing a contract for the Shot Spotter Technology,” he added. “This technology revolutionizes crime fighting. It uses acoustic surveillance technology to detect, locate and alert the police of gunfire.”

Minister Dames continued and said that real-time data of precise locations, number of shots, and type of gunfire would be transmitted to the police control room, allowing analysts to pinpoint and subsequently dispatch units to the scene with the foreknowledge of particulars before their arrival.

“Getting to a gunfire incident faster not only improves the likelihood of apprehending a perpetrator, but may also save the life of a gunshot victim,” Minister Dames said.

The second phase of the expansion of the police fleet of vehicles was in motion, as another $3.4 million dollars would be spent to provide additional police cruisers, SUVs, T-3 Segways and ATVs, Minister Dames noted. Those vehicles, he said, would be hitting the streets across The Bahamas – from Bimini to Inagua – within the first quarter of 2019.

Minister Dames said that the National Neighbourhood Watch Council (NNWC), which was launched by Prime Minister Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis in April 2018, was already having a major impact on the safety and quality of life within communities.

“The 77 nationally recognized groups in New Providence and eight in Grand Bahama have been busy working to strengthen their relationship with the police,” he said. “By conducting foot patrols, vehicle patrols, and communicating with their divisional liaison officers, NNWC members have helped to reduce incidents of crime, particularly with thefts of vehicles.

“The NNWC is already affiliated with an international neighbourhood watch organization called Neighborhoods USA and will participate in its first international conference this summer.”

Minister Dames pointed out that the 134 new police officers had already been posted to various divisions in line with recommendations from the Manpower Audit. An additional 130 recruits would begin training shortly, as “we move to bring the Force’s strength up to appropriate levels”.

He added that the Police Reserves Audit would be completed shortly and its recommendations were aimed at addressing the concerns that reservists and regular officers share alike.

“Let me assure you that we will get this right,” he said.

Minister Dames stated that succession planning was a very important aspect of any progressive organization as it prepares and develops future leaders.

“A number of you in the senior ranks are nearing the end of your prestigious careers; and before we know it, the Force will need a new generation of leaders,” Minister Dames said. “Now is the time to look throughout ranks and identify officers who demonstrate the capacity to hold the top ranks in the Force.

“These officers must be trained, tasked, exposed and prepared to assume these critical positions in the dynamic field of policing.”

Minister Dames noted that a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the University of The Bahamas and the Ministry of National Security would be signed shortly.

“This MOU will also involve a partnership with the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, which is one of the top schools for criminal justice in the United States,” he said. “The MOU will facilitate two Professional Certifications programmes; one in Law Enforcement Management and the other in Law Enforcement Leadership.”

He noted that mid to senior-level law enforcement officers would be targeted and specific courses would include finance, budgeting, human resources and critical issues facing police leaders globally.

“This programme is a key aspect of a broader succession plan for all law enforcement agencies,” Minister Dames said. “As a result, within the next few years, each law enforcement agency will have a cadre of competent officers from which the new generation of leaders will be selected.”

 

By Eric Rose

Photo Caption: Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin H. Dames, highlights a number of crime-fighting initiatives, on January 6, 2019, during the Royal Bahamas Police Force Annual Church Service, held at Annex Baptist Cathedral, Wulff and Pinedale Roads.

 

(BIS Photo / Eric Rose)

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Groundbreaking for Grand Bahama Aquatic Centre

Published

on

PM: Project delivers on promise and invests in youth, sports and national development

 

GRAND BAHAMA, The Bahamas — Calling it the fulfillment of a major commitment to the island, Prime Minister Philip Davis led the official groundbreaking for the Grand Bahama Aquatic Centre, a facility the government says will transform sports development and create new opportunities for young athletes.

Speaking at the Grand Bahama Sports Complex on February 12, the Prime Minister said the project represents more than bricks and mortar — it is an investment in people, national pride and long-term economic activity.                                                                                                                                                    The planned complex will feature a modern 50-metre competition pool, designed to meet international standards for training and regional and global swim meets. Davis said the facility will give Bahamian swimmers a home capable of producing world-class performance while also providing a space for community recreation, learn-to-swim programmes and water safety training.

He noted that Grand Bahama has long produced outstanding athletes despite limited infrastructure and said the new centre is intended to correct that imbalance, positioning the island as a hub for aquatic sports and sports tourism.

The Prime Minister also linked the development to the broader national recovery and revitalisation of Grand Bahama, describing the project as part of a strategy to expand opportunities for young people, create jobs during construction and stimulate activity for small businesses once operational.

The Aquatic Centre, he said, stands as proof that promises made to Grand Bahama are being delivered.

The project is expected to support athlete development, attract competitions, and provide a safe, modern environment for residents to access swimming and water-based programmes for generations to come.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Tens of Millions Announced – Where is the Development?

Published

on

The Bahamas, February 15, 2026 – For the better part of three years, Bahamians have been told that major Afreximbank financing would help transform access to capital, rebuild infrastructure and unlock economic growth across the islands. The headline figures are large. The signing ceremonies are high profile. The language is ambitious. What remains far harder to see is the measurable impact in the daily lives of the people those announcements are meant to serve.

The Government’s push to secure up to $100 million from Afreximbank for roughly 200 miles of Family Island roads dates back to 2025. In its February 11 disclosure, the bank outlined a receivables-discounting facility — a structure that allows a contractor to be paid early once work is completed, certified and invoiced, with the Government settling the bill later. It is not cash placed into the economy upfront. It does not, by itself, build a single mile of road. Every dollar depends on work first being delivered and approved.

The wider framework has been described as support for “climate-resilient and trade-enhancing infrastructure,” a phrase that, in practical terms, should mean projects that lower the cost of doing business, move people and goods faster, and keep the economy functioning. But for communities, that promise becomes real only when the projects are named, the standards are defined and a clear timeline is given for when work will begin — and when it will be finished.

Bahamians have seen this moment before.

In 2023, a $30 million Afreximbank facility for the Bahamas Development Bank was hailed as a breakthrough that would expand access to financing for local enterprise. It worked in one immediate and measurable way: it encouraged businesses to apply. Established, revenue-generating Bahamian companies responded to the call, prepared plans, and entered a process they believed had been capitalised to support growth. The unanswered question is how much of that capital has reached the private sector in a form that allowed those businesses to expand, hire and generate new economic activity.

Because development is not measured in the size of announcements.

It is measured in loans disbursed, projects completed and businesses expanded.

The pattern is becoming difficult to ignore. In June 2024, when Afreximbank held its inaugural Caribbean Annual Meetings in Nassau, Grand Bahama was presented as the future home of an Afro-Caribbean marketplace said to carry tens of millions of dollars in investment. What was confirmed at that stage was a $1.86 million project-preparation facility — funding for studies and planning to make the development bankable, not construction financing. The larger build-out remains dependent on additional approvals, land acquisition and further capital.

This distinction — between financing announced and financing that produces visible, measurable outcomes — is now at the centre of the national conversation.

Because while the numbers grow larger on paper, entrepreneurs still describe access to capital as out of reach, and communities across the Family Islands are still waiting to see where the work will start.

And in an economy where stalled growth translates into lost opportunity, rising frustration and real social consequences, the gap between promise and delivery is no longer a communications issue.

It is an inability to convert announcements into outcomes.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.  

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

What Happens When Police Arrest 4,000+ Wanted Suspects and Tighten Bail

Published

on

A hardline strategy that reduced murders, gunfire, and collateral deaths

 

The Bahamas, February 8, 2026 – What happens when police stop routinely granting bail to high-risk suspects and aggressively execute outstanding warrants? In The Bahamas, the answer in 2025 was fewer murders, fewer gunshots, and safer communities.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force arrested 4,337 individuals on outstanding warrants last year, ensuring suspects were brought directly before the courts instead of being released back onto the streets. At the same time, police significantly curtailed the use of police bail for high-risk and repeat offenders, particularly those already entangled in violent disputes.

Police Commissioner Shanta Knowles said the shift was informed by hard lessons from previous years. Intelligence reviews showed that many homicide victims were not random targets, but men already wanted by law enforcement and — critically — by other criminals. When released on bail, those individuals often became targets themselves, triggering retaliatory shootings that spilled into neighbourhoods, roadways and public spaces.

By keeping high-risk suspects in custody pending court appearances, police say they disrupted that cycle — removing both potential offenders and potential victims from the streets.

The impact was stark. Murders declined by 31 percent in 2025, falling from 120 in 2024 to 83, the largest percentage decrease in homicides since national tracking began in 1963 and the lowest murder count in nearly two decades.

Police leaders say the strategy also reduced the collateral damage that had increasingly alarmed communities. Innocent residents had been caught in “sprays of gunfire” as targeted attacks unfolded in residential areas, at traffic stops, and in public settings.

Gun-violence indicators reflected the change. Gunshot reports fell by 35 percent, while incidents detected by ShotSpotter technology declined by 29 percent, confirming that fewer shots were being fired across the country.

“Gunshots ringing out and cutting through our peaceful paradise were down remarkably,” Commissioner Knowles said, attributing the improvement to decisive enforcement, tighter bail practices, and sustained pressure on offenders.

Police also intensified enforcement against breach of bail conditions, charging and detaining more suspects than in any previous reporting period. Officers say the approach removed the opportunity for repeat offending while matters were before the courts.

Police leadership said the results go beyond statistics. By limiting bail for high-risk suspects and executing warrants at scale, the strategy saved lives, protected bystanders, and restored confidence in public safety.

In 2025, fewer people were hunted, fewer bullets were fired, and fewer families were left grieving — a shift police say was no accident, but the result of deliberate, hardline choices.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING