Connect with us

TCI News

TCI: PDM Govt reports constitutional talks stalled, UK demands cross-party support

Published

on

#Providenciales, December 13, 2018 – Turks and Caicos – The no-show by the Opposition PNP has caused another delay in constitutional reform talks between the Turks and Caicos and the United Kingdom as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office closed the curtain on the PDM’s solo performance.

Reading from one of several letters received by the Turks and Caicos Islands Government from the FCO between 2015 and 2018, Premier Sharlene Robinson gave the nation the grim news in the words of Foreign Office Minister Lord Tariq Ahmad:  “I am also concerned that the new recommendations do not have cross party agreement.  I have seen that the Leader of the Opposition issued a press statement distancing himself and his party from this exercise.  If that is the case then as you will be aware, the UK Government cannot consider these proposals until there is cross-party agreement.  I would be grateful if you could confirm this point when we meet for our bi-lateral after the Joint Ministerial Council on 6 December.”

The letter was issued to Premier Robinson and TCI Governor, His Excellency Dr. John Freeman.

The Progressive National Party never joined the PDM for that annual bi-lateral meeting in London last week; therefore the cross-party support required by the UK Government for the suggestions to be considered stalled discussions and new talks have been deferred.

The Premier, during the question and answer period of the press conference held at her office in Providenciales on Tuesday afternoon, explained that this was the first time the Turks and had seen a lack of bi-partisan support on the matter of constitutional reform in modern times.

Premier Sharlene Robinson charged the former PNP Administration with also misleading the public on the 2015 recommendations for constitutional change. 

“This made the actions of the PNP abundantly clear.  Whilst we know that their actions are political and meant to be stifling, they knew full well that these proposals were not even under consideration and had in fact, misled the entire country.  HMG has been sure to cast blame back on us as a people and have refused to progress the other proposals submitted because the PNP had distanced themselves from the discussions.  The PNP’s actions have once again harmed constitutional efforts …” said Premier Robinson, who was joined by Deputy Premier Sean Astwood.

The PDM was blind-sided by the FCO’s information that the 2015 recommendations from the Constitutional Commission were not eligible for reconsideration and by a proposal for change to the Crown Land Ordinance, submitted in 2015 by the Rufus Ewing-led administration.

“We remain disappointed that the PNP would play games, as it were, with this matter.  Their word cannot be trust and we are again disappointed to likewise report to this country that they had also received response on the crown Land submission of 2015 and these were likewise rejected, we were advised by the UK Government under similar circumstances.”

The Premier reported, in the debriefing with media, that she reiterated the constitutional recommendations are from the People of the Turks and Caicos and bear reconsideration.  It was also conveyed by Madame Premier that work by her administration to return as soon as possible to the negotiating table on the 2011 Constitution and the Crown Land Ordinance begins immediately.

“Having now fallen into post Brexit final quarter we expect a delay, but will finalise our submissions this month and engage again early next year.  We will of course remind the people of their submissions before submitting.  And we have received a commitment from the Minister in the UK to receive these proposals. We believe that the people have spoken and their voices must be respected.”

Premier Robinson said this is no time to play politics and characterised the UK’s willingness to field submissions from all of their overseas territories as an ‘opportunity’ not to be missed.   

The Opposition PNP has reported that by end of January it will have a newly elected leader and will therefore resume bi-partisan participation on constitutional reforms.

 

#MagneticMediaNews

#constitutionaltalksstalled

 

Continue Reading

News

Strong December Performance Signals Continued Demand for the Turks and Caicos Islands

Published

on

Almost two million visitors recorded in 2025

PROVIDENCIALES, TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS – The Turks and Caicos Islands saw an increase in stayover arrivals in December, seven percent higher than the corresponding period in 2024.

Preliminary data suggests that stay over arrivals by air for the month of December was 66,427 in comparison to 62,610 in December 2024.

From January to December 2025, preliminary visitor arrival numbers totalled 640,754; on par with the number recorded for the same period of 2024.

Stay Over Arrivals YTD December 2024/2025

The first quarter of the calendar year attracted the largest number of arrivals with visitor arrivals three percent higher than the first quarter of 2024.  Reduced airlift from the United Kingdom and the United States, most notably the Virgin Atlantic and JetBlue services, was however felt from the second quarter (April to June).  As a result, visitor arrivals dropped three percent in the second quarter.

By the third quarter of this year (July to September), geopolitical and economic conditions in the key source markets, namely the United States, led to further contraction of arrivals. In the last quarter of 2025, arrivals were impacted in October due to the passage of Hurricane Melissa but additional airlift from the USA and Canada resulted in an increase in arrivals in November and December.

Mr.  Paul Pennicook, Interim CEO Consultant of Experience Turks and Caicos, said December’s increase in stayover arrivals is an encouraging indicator of the sustained interest in the Turks and Caicos Islands as a premier destination.

“While we note and continue to monitor geopolitical shifts that affect us, Experience Turks and Caicos is focused on increasing marketing initiatives in our primary source markets. We have spent the last two years investing in groundwork such as crucial travel advisor training to assist them in selling the destination more effectively. In the next fiscal, we will be building on those initiatives with co-op activities with partners as well as out of home advertising to increase visitation to our destination,” he said.

In Cruise, the preliminary count of passenger arrivals for the month of December 2025 was 129,346, a 22 percent increase over last December.  This growth follows the berthing of 11 additional ships in Grand Turk this month.

From January to December, the cruise sector continued to outperform the same period last year, as the 1.3 million total cruise passengers recorded, marks a five percent Year-on-Year increase. 

The cruise sector experienced significant growth in the first quarter of 2025, with passenger arrivals surpassing last quarter by 53 percent.  In the second and third quarter however, several cruise lines adjusted their itineraries as vessels were pulled from the fleet or from the Caribbean region, which resulted in fewer passengers.

Arrivals dropped seven percent and 10 percent in the second and third quarters, respectively.  Double digit growth was recorded in the last two months of Quarter 4.  This growth however, was not sufficient to outweigh the drop in arrivals experienced in October, following the cancellation of cruise calls due to the passage of Hurricane Melissa.  Despite the late-quarter rebound, arrivals for the final quarter of 2025 closed six percent below the same period in 2024.

Continue Reading

News

The Department of Trade, Industry & Fair Competition to Host Export Readiness Workshop Under the theme “Empowering TCI Businesses for Local Growth and Global Markets.”

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, February 12, 2026 — The Department of Trade is pleased to announce the launch of its Export Readiness Workshop Series, a key component of its Trade Technical Assistance Programme.

This workshop series will address priority areas critical to small business development in the Turks and Caicos Islands, offering practical guidance and hands-on support in the following areas:

  1. Standards and Quality – Identification of and compliance with regulatory and market requirements
  2. E-Commerce and Digital Trade – Expanding access to regional and international markets

The workshops will be held February 24–27, 2026 and will be delivered in an in-person, interactive format.  Each session is tailored to specific business sectors to ensure targeted support and practical application.

  1.  Workshop 1 – February 24, 2026 | Agricultural Activities and Light Manufacturing (Food & Beverage)
  2.  Workshop 2 – February 25, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Arts & Crafts)
  3.  Workshop 3 – February 26, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Clothing, Jewelry & Apparel Accessories)
  4.  Workshop 4 – February 27, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Cosmetics & Skin Care)

Entrepreneurs and business owners are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to enhance their operational capacity, improve export readiness and position their businesses for sustainable growth.

To register, please complete the registration form via the following link Capacity Building & Export Readiness Workshop – Fill out form

For more information, please contact the Department of Trade, Industry and Fair Competition.

☎️Phone: (649) 338-3703

Email: tradetci@gov.tc

Stay updated on announcements by following @tcidepartmentoftrade on Facebook, Instagram, and @MadeInTCI on   TikTok

Continue Reading

News

Multi-Agency Planning Enforcement Operation Conducted at multiple locations in Providenciales

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands – Wednesday, 11 February 2026: The Informal Settlements Unit (ISU) coordinated a multi-agency enforcement operation on Thursday, 29 January 2026, led by the Planning Department, with support from the Crown Land Unit, the Turks and Caicos Islands Border Force, and security provided by the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force. The operation, carried out at three different locations in Providenciales, formed part of ongoing government efforts to address unauthorised development and illegal occupation of land in accordance with governing legislation.

The operation commenced in Blue Hills, where five Section 58 Enforcement Notices were issued on unauthorised structures identified on Block and Parcel 60502/48.

Enforcement activity then moved to a second location off the Leeward Highway near Caicos Lodge, where six Section 58 Enforcement Notices were issued on additional unauthorised structures on Block and Parcel 60802/66.

The final phase of the operation took place in The Bight, where three unauthorised structures were removed, with all debris cleared from the site in keeping with established safety and environmental protocols.

The Informal Settlements Unit remains committed to working alongside its partner agencies to support lawful development, protect public and private land, and ensure that planning regulations are enforced in a coordinated and transparent manner across the Turks and Caicos Islands. Similar joint operations will continue as part of the Government’s wider strategy to address unauthorised development and informal settlement activity.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING