#Providenciales, November 21, 2018 – Turks and Caicos – Due to the recent rainfall throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands the Environmental Health Department (EHD) hereby advise residents, home owners, apartment owners and businesses to remove all debris & refuse/garbage from their premises and dispose at the public landfill/solid waste disposal sites on your respective island. The removal of the debris & refuse/garbage from your premises will reduce mosquito breeding and prevent mosquito borne (e.g. Dengue fever) and other vector borne diseases.
As Environmental Health Department’s Vector Control unit continue to monitor and treat mosquito breeding sites, home owners, apartment owners and business owners are advised to treat standing water on your premises by using cooking oil or any other environmentally friendly oils to prevent mosquito breeding.
In addition to taking these preventative measures, residents are encouraged to continue to prevent the growth and reproduction of mosquitoes by taking the following precautions:
- Check around buildings for anything that could hold water, inspect your home and yard weekly
- Turn containers over or cover them
- Get rid of or cover old tires
- Properly dispose of all garbage/refuse
- Cover boats, children’s pools, etc.
- Clean rain gutters and make sure they are flowing properly
- Check screens for holes
- Tightly cover water drums and rain barrels
For further information, contact the Environmental Health Department via telephone numbers 649-338-2143/44.