Connect with us

TCI News

Deputy Premier home broken into, other TCI Border Control officials face security threats

Published

on

Hon Sean Astwood, Deputy Premier - Turks and Caicos Islands, file

#Providenciales, Turks and Caicos – Wednesday July 18, 2018 – Border Control leaders of the Turks and Caicos were directly targeted in several acts of vandalism, violence and home invasion last fiscal year, yet there remains no extra security assigned to these high risk roles.

JULY 25, 2108 at COMMUNITY FELLOWSHIP CENTER CHURCH, Leeward Hwy

During the Budget contribution of the Deputy Premier of the Turks and  Caicos Islands, Hon Sean Astwood, it was explained that the men and women who led and continue to lead the crackdown on illegal immigration suffered varying levels of criminal attacks.

“Mr. Speaker, we have officers that were physically harmed, my PS’s car was vandalized and Mr. Speaker, my home broken into, but not once did we give up or did we let this country down. Mr. Speaker, some of those persons are here with us this morning and I will ask those from my Ministry in the gallery to stand and be recognized. Please allow me Mr. Speaker, to use this platform to publicly say thank you all, for believing in my vision and leadership and for the hard work you have put in, day and night. I say Thank You!”

It was more of a thank you message from the Border Control and Employment Minister, however, the dangerous revelation is now cause for pause.

Magnetic Media contacted the Deputy Premier today, he explained to us that he is also concerned by the lack of security and said while there has been no formal request for more personal security, the matter was raised, by him, at the National Security Council on two separate occasions.

“Of coarse I think security is necessary.  Given the policies that my team and I are carrying forward as it relates to illegal immigration, it is necessary as the measures have created a high risk to our personal security,” said Minister Astwood via phone.

The last time the United Kingdom was faced with potential danger to law agents in the Turks and Caicos, there was immediate action and national spending approval.  It was expressed to media, at the time, that there were very real threats to the attorneys and others who make up the Special Investigation and Prosecution Team, which is responsible for the ongoing corruption trial against the former Mike Misick administration.

The monies were added to public spending despite a firm rejection at the Cabinet level by the then Rufus Ewing led-PNP Administration.  It caused a firestorm of controversy within the Territory, as locally elected officials were over ruled by the UK-appointed Chief Financial Officer.  The multi-million dollar extra spending on SIPT security was never allowed to go to the House of Assembly for debate.

A Magnetic Media report on the controversial matter in August 2016 said this:

“Last year the UK forced the nation to pay a $2.2 million bill after the PNP Administration rejected the extra security costs, needed said SIPT due to death threats.  The UK Chief Financial Officer pulled rank and bypassed locally elected Government to get approval to authorize the money through the FCO in London.  The original request was for a staggering, $4.3 million under the TCI Police.”

In the most recent draft Budget booklet for the Turks and Caicos Islands, it is itemized on page 158, 159 that the SIPT is actually still being supported in boosted security by millions; $3.8 million in spending on security and operational is budgeted this upcoming financial year.  For last financial year, the actual is placed at over $3.25 million.

The public purse, through the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police pays that enormous bill.

The Turks and Caicos Islands Deputy Premier and Minister of Border Control and Employment, Sean Astwood confirmed that only the Premier and Governor are designated security detail.  Both he and the Deputy Governor – who is also often the face of enforcement in the TCI – are without personal security despite the nature of their jobs.

Magnetic Media has asked the Governor for comment.

Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.

News

Strong December Performance Signals Continued Demand for the Turks and Caicos Islands

Published

on

Almost two million visitors recorded in 2025

PROVIDENCIALES, TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS – The Turks and Caicos Islands saw an increase in stayover arrivals in December, seven percent higher than the corresponding period in 2024.

Preliminary data suggests that stay over arrivals by air for the month of December was 66,427 in comparison to 62,610 in December 2024.

From January to December 2025, preliminary visitor arrival numbers totalled 640,754; on par with the number recorded for the same period of 2024.

Stay Over Arrivals YTD December 2024/2025

The first quarter of the calendar year attracted the largest number of arrivals with visitor arrivals three percent higher than the first quarter of 2024.  Reduced airlift from the United Kingdom and the United States, most notably the Virgin Atlantic and JetBlue services, was however felt from the second quarter (April to June).  As a result, visitor arrivals dropped three percent in the second quarter.

By the third quarter of this year (July to September), geopolitical and economic conditions in the key source markets, namely the United States, led to further contraction of arrivals. In the last quarter of 2025, arrivals were impacted in October due to the passage of Hurricane Melissa but additional airlift from the USA and Canada resulted in an increase in arrivals in November and December.

Mr.  Paul Pennicook, Interim CEO Consultant of Experience Turks and Caicos, said December’s increase in stayover arrivals is an encouraging indicator of the sustained interest in the Turks and Caicos Islands as a premier destination.

“While we note and continue to monitor geopolitical shifts that affect us, Experience Turks and Caicos is focused on increasing marketing initiatives in our primary source markets. We have spent the last two years investing in groundwork such as crucial travel advisor training to assist them in selling the destination more effectively. In the next fiscal, we will be building on those initiatives with co-op activities with partners as well as out of home advertising to increase visitation to our destination,” he said.

In Cruise, the preliminary count of passenger arrivals for the month of December 2025 was 129,346, a 22 percent increase over last December.  This growth follows the berthing of 11 additional ships in Grand Turk this month.

From January to December, the cruise sector continued to outperform the same period last year, as the 1.3 million total cruise passengers recorded, marks a five percent Year-on-Year increase. 

The cruise sector experienced significant growth in the first quarter of 2025, with passenger arrivals surpassing last quarter by 53 percent.  In the second and third quarter however, several cruise lines adjusted their itineraries as vessels were pulled from the fleet or from the Caribbean region, which resulted in fewer passengers.

Arrivals dropped seven percent and 10 percent in the second and third quarters, respectively.  Double digit growth was recorded in the last two months of Quarter 4.  This growth however, was not sufficient to outweigh the drop in arrivals experienced in October, following the cancellation of cruise calls due to the passage of Hurricane Melissa.  Despite the late-quarter rebound, arrivals for the final quarter of 2025 closed six percent below the same period in 2024.

Continue Reading

News

The Department of Trade, Industry & Fair Competition to Host Export Readiness Workshop Under the theme “Empowering TCI Businesses for Local Growth and Global Markets.”

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, February 12, 2026 — The Department of Trade is pleased to announce the launch of its Export Readiness Workshop Series, a key component of its Trade Technical Assistance Programme.

This workshop series will address priority areas critical to small business development in the Turks and Caicos Islands, offering practical guidance and hands-on support in the following areas:

  1. Standards and Quality – Identification of and compliance with regulatory and market requirements
  2. E-Commerce and Digital Trade – Expanding access to regional and international markets

The workshops will be held February 24–27, 2026 and will be delivered in an in-person, interactive format.  Each session is tailored to specific business sectors to ensure targeted support and practical application.

  1.  Workshop 1 – February 24, 2026 | Agricultural Activities and Light Manufacturing (Food & Beverage)
  2.  Workshop 2 – February 25, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Arts & Crafts)
  3.  Workshop 3 – February 26, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Clothing, Jewelry & Apparel Accessories)
  4.  Workshop 4 – February 27, 2026 | Light Manufacturing (Cosmetics & Skin Care)

Entrepreneurs and business owners are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to enhance their operational capacity, improve export readiness and position their businesses for sustainable growth.

To register, please complete the registration form via the following link Capacity Building & Export Readiness Workshop – Fill out form

For more information, please contact the Department of Trade, Industry and Fair Competition.

☎️Phone: (649) 338-3703

Email: tradetci@gov.tc

Stay updated on announcements by following @tcidepartmentoftrade on Facebook, Instagram, and @MadeInTCI on   TikTok

Continue Reading

News

Multi-Agency Planning Enforcement Operation Conducted at multiple locations in Providenciales

Published

on

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands – Wednesday, 11 February 2026: The Informal Settlements Unit (ISU) coordinated a multi-agency enforcement operation on Thursday, 29 January 2026, led by the Planning Department, with support from the Crown Land Unit, the Turks and Caicos Islands Border Force, and security provided by the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force. The operation, carried out at three different locations in Providenciales, formed part of ongoing government efforts to address unauthorised development and illegal occupation of land in accordance with governing legislation.

The operation commenced in Blue Hills, where five Section 58 Enforcement Notices were issued on unauthorised structures identified on Block and Parcel 60502/48.

Enforcement activity then moved to a second location off the Leeward Highway near Caicos Lodge, where six Section 58 Enforcement Notices were issued on additional unauthorised structures on Block and Parcel 60802/66.

The final phase of the operation took place in The Bight, where three unauthorised structures were removed, with all debris cleared from the site in keeping with established safety and environmental protocols.

The Informal Settlements Unit remains committed to working alongside its partner agencies to support lawful development, protect public and private land, and ensure that planning regulations are enforced in a coordinated and transparent manner across the Turks and Caicos Islands. Similar joint operations will continue as part of the Government’s wider strategy to address unauthorised development and informal settlement activity.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING