Connect with us

Bahamas News

DPM Presents Budget Issues to Grand Bahama Chamber of Commerce

Published

on

#GrandBahama, June 19, 2018 – Bahamas – The government has made provisions to empower people during this current budget period, said Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Hon. Peter Turnquest during the Grand Bahama Chamber of Commerce Business Luncheon, June 15, at Pelican Bay.

Minister Turnquest, in explaining why the government will increase VAT from 7.5% to 12% to increase revenue, presented to Chamber members what the government faced when coming to office on May 10, 2017.  As a result of the large commitments due, the government borrowed some $1.4B to cover those expenses.  This, he said, was not the end of it, as there were other outstanding bills amounting to millions of dollars.

What previous governments have been doing is using the current budget to pay last year’s bills, and rolling it over continuously.  He said, there were a number of times he called for outstanding bills that were not brought to his attention until months later amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars and added that he has advised the staff that if it happens again, “when you bring me that next bill and it relates to the previous period, bring me your resignation the same time.”

This resulted in more bills coming, but the government will partially deal with those this year.

With a debt of $7.2B, and interest on that debt in the amount of $381M annually, which increased by $89 in the past year, the government is faced with a serious challenge.

“That $381M represents more than our National Security budget, our Health budget, or Educational budget by over $100M.  Obviously that is not sustainable.”

He continued, “For years, we have been borrowing to meet our commitments rather than trying to make government more efficient and roll back our expenditure.”

A lot of money was spent when a previous administration created programmes to employ people, he said.  The economy was slow and people were losing jobs at an alarming rate.  While the government employed some individuals, it cost a lot of money.  It is difficult to adjust government spending, continued the Deputy Prime Minister, adding that whenever someone is let go, there is the political side, and that person is in a position of having no safety net.  This results in their having to go back to the government for assistance.

“So have you really won anything? Not really because you’re taking them off of the government payroll where they are doing something and putting them on the social roll where they are only getting into mischief.  It isn’t really the answer, certainly not in the short term.”

The government went through the process of trying to cut costs without causing social upheaval and they started by looking at contract workers who had been on the payroll for the 52 week job programme, which became 104 weeks.  “There was no off ramp provided for them. They were left just as vulnerable one year later, as they were when hired.”  This, he said, is not sustainable, productive or empowering to the people.  To deal with this, the government has provided not only free education at BTVI, but established a Small Business Development Centre which will come on stream in July.

“The change is not a simple one. It is not like in the private sector who know what to do.”  He continued, “It’s not all bottom line.  You have to maintain a stable environment and recognize that these are people that you’re dealing with.  That’s a little bit different than just looking at a profit motive.  “Whatever approach you take, it has to be gentle, accommodating and it has to make provision for those being transitioned out.”

 

By: Robyn Adderley (BIS)

Photo Caption: Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Hon. K. Peter Turnquest, made a presentation on the 2018/2019 Budget, currently being debated in the House of Assembly to the business community at the Grand Bahama Chamber of Commerce Business Luncheon on Friday, June 15, at Pelican Bay resort.

(BIS Photo/Lisa Davis)

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING