Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Minister Dames Gives Overview of Ministry’s Budget

Published

on

#Nassau, June 11, 2018 – Bahamas – During his Budget Contribution in the House of Assembly, on June 6, 2018, Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames said the Government places a high priority on national safety and security, and the protection of all Bahamians is one of our fundamental duties; and, in an effort to meet the demands of the 21st century, the Ministry of National Security is restructuring to strengthen the agency, making it more efficient and strategic in managing the affairs of the state.

“To align with this mandate, the Ministry has introduced new areas specifically Communications, Liaisons, Inspectorate and Research and Development,” Minister Dames said.  “The Communications Section will play a key role in all facets of the organization as it promotes the mission and vision of the Ministry.

He noted that liaisons from the three branches of law enforcement under the Ministry’s purview allow for transparency and open communication between the Ministry and their respective agencies.

“The Inspectorate will serve under the Minister and provide guidance for each agency, to ensure they are meeting their respective goals,” Minister Dames added.  “Finally, the Research and Development Section will provide input to underpin policy-making decisions.”

As Minister of National Security, Minister Dames stated, he had pledged to be honest in all his undertakings and resolved to work tirelessly to lead by example the men and women that comprised the agencies under his remit: The Ministry of National Security, The Bahamas Department of Corrections, Royal Bahamas Defense Force, Royal Bahamas Police Force and the Parliamentary Registry Department.

“As National Security Minister, I am resolute in re-framing our focus for the seamless and swift transformation of the Bahamas Department of Corrections from a penal facility to a correctional facility; protecting our borders through unprecedented capital expenditure; refocusing our actions coupled with a legislative agenda to launch an effective assault on criminal networks and modernizing our antiquated voter registration system,” he said.

Minister Dames revealed that the recurrent expenditure 2018/2019 of the Ministry of National Security amounts to $7,455,580, compared to 2017/2018 recurrent expenditure of $5,060,274, marking an increase over the previous year’s allocation.

“This increase is due to the following: establishment of the National Neighbourhood Watch Council with an allocation of $425,000; plans to reestablish the National Intelligence Agency with an allocated budget of $2 million; and an increase in the Citizen Security and Justice Programme’s allocation of $1.5 million this year compared to last year’s allocation of $1 million,” he pointed out.

Minister Dames also noted the following recurrent and capital expenditures for the agencies under his purview:

Bahamas Department of Corrections – Recurrent Expenditures for 2018/2019 of $26,676,098 (compared to 2017/2018 at $25,310,467), and Capital Expenditures of $2,450,000 – located in Ministry of National Security budget – for a total increase by 15 percent (Recurrent and Capital combined);

the Royal Bahamas Defence Force – Recurrent Expenditures for 2018/2019 of $74,050,015 (compared to 2017/2018 at $76,680,776), and Capital Expenditures of $14,172,000 – with $4,122,000 located in Ministry of National Security’s Budget – for a percentage change of three percent;

the Royal Bahamas Police Force – Recurrent Expenditures for 2018/2019 of $127,907,570 (compared to 2017/2018 at $136,262,613), and Capital Expenditures of $2,878,000 – for a percentage change of four percent; and the Parliamentary Registration Department – Recurrent Expenditures for 2018/2019 of $1,442,700 (compared to 2017/2018 at $1,552,633), and Capital Expenditures of $2.5 million – representing an increase of 154 percent due to the digitization of voter register.

“While the expenditure may seem weighty, at $7,455,580, it is for the national security of the country and will be used with the utmost fiscal responsibility,” Minister Dames said. “These funds not only represent recurrent expenditures of the Ministry, but shows the growth of the Ministry and the ability to provide critical services for the nation and its people.”

 

By: Eric Rose (BIS)

Photo Caption: Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames speaks, on June 6, 2018, during his Budget Contribution in the House of Assembly.

(BIS Photo/Eric Rose)

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING