Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: The healthcare system faced with aged health facilities

Published

on

#Bahamas, March 13, 2018 – Nassau – Minister of Health the Hon. Dr. Duane Sands said the country’s healthcare system is faced with aged health facilities that were built in the 1980s and have experienced significant natural disasters, as many are close to the coast and vulnerable to environmental hazards.

“We must continually repair to maintain services at our facilities.”  Dr. Sands said during his Contribution to the Mid-term Budget Debate in the House of Assembly, Monday, March 12, 2018.

He said the current outstanding projected infrastructure cost for improvement on community clinics approximates some $46,580,000.

“I am pleased to report that the West End Community Clinic opened late last year.”

Dr. Sands explained that this government administration came into office with the side opposite having promised the world in terms of repairs and refurbishment of the healthcare facilities throughout the archipelago.

“We are unable to fund the proposed infrastructure improvements in our clinics as there was no money.  Hence, we have had to put many infrastructural projects on hold as the staff work assiduously to ensure our people are cared for in a safe environment.”

He said limited capital development work continues at healthcare institutions.  By mid-April, the Corey Newbold Ward in the Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) will be re-opened following a complete renovation programme to the 40-bed ward.  This will reduce the protracted wait times for admissions and theatre services.

The Health Minister said that plans are also underway for the redevelopment of the East Wing block of PMH to reduce the shortages of public ward beds and renovate/upgrade relevant areas for improved access and environments of care for public patients.

Key public patient areas to be addressed are Eye Ward, Maternity Ward, Children’s Ward, and Male Surgical Wards.  The consolidation, renovation and upgrade of all Private Services to one area of the hospital is also planned with a view to improving opportunities for revenue generation for the public health authority.

He said, “I am very pleased to report that my Ministry has initiated an Emergency and Urgent Care Services project.

“The overall goal of this important project is to improve my Ministry’s response to the critical needs of residents in New Providence for emergency and urgent care. This multifaceted project will, on the one end, address non-life threatening/urgent care treatment in the community clinics; and on the other end, focus on the Accident & Emergency Department to ensure true emergencies are better accommodated and managed for timely and quality care.”

The urgent care component of this project will begin at the South Beach Health Centre and the Elizabeth Estates Clinic.  The project seeks to improve workflows, policies and procedures, information management, customer service, staffing, and availability of services to the population.

More specifically, the project will seek to decompress A&E Department and reduce wait times, overcrowding and upgrade the patient care environment.

Dr. Sands said the renovation and upgrading of the A&E Department at PMH is specifically targeted with emphasis on decanting planning to minimise interruptions to essential services. It is anticipated that the phased renovation will span 12-14 months once initiated.

The Health Minister said, “The Infrastructure Working Group continues to work to establish realistic timelines and budgets for each phase, inclusive of equipment and furniture needs.  We are eagerly looking to fast-track the process to begin works within a three-month timeframe.”

Plans for the Rand Memorial Hospital

He noted that at the Rand Memorial Hospital, funds have been identified to execute the upgrading and expansion of much needed clinical space.

This will be achieved following the relocation of the Kitchen and Cafeteria to the property adjacent to the Rand Memorial (former Island Palm Hotel).

A connecting corridor is being constructed between the two properties that will also accommodate physician offices, on-call rooms; and relocated Security and Telephone Services. Additionally, the General Practice and CNCD Clinics are being relocated to the IAT Building (a rented facility) located opposite the Rand Hospital.

He said, “This additional clinical space affords the opportunity to extend the hours of operation for these services from 8:00 a.m. to midnight and institute a patient appointment system.

“This ultimately will improve patient access, satisfaction and reduce wait times. This move will also afford the desired result of better responding to the critical needs in the Accident & Emergency Department at this hospital.”

Plans for Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre

Dr. Sands said at Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre, renovation of the now vacant Child & Adolescent Ward to establish a new Forensic Psychiatry service is expected to meet the current and immediate future needs of this high-risk patient population.

He said, “Historically, 90 per cent of forensic psychiatry patients are referred from the courts and the remaining 10 per cent are transferred from the Bahamas Correctional Services Department.

“Presently, all patients are admitted to SRC’s New Eloise Penn Ward, resulting in severe overcrowding.  In the outpatient setting, community forensic services are offered at the Community Counseling & Assessment Centre (CCAC) in a rather limited capacity.”

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING