Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Deputy Prime Minister states employment is up during Chamber Luncheon

Published

on

#Bahamas, January 29, 2018 – Nassau – There has been an increase in the Labour Force of 1.8 percent in the country, giving hope that “we’re turning the corner” the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Hon. K. Peter Turnquest, said on Friday.  The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance made this announcement during the Grand Bahama Chamber of Commerce Annual Installation of Officers and Directors at the Grand Lucayan resort.

Mr. Turnquest performed the task of installing the Chamber’s officers, but just before doing so, he shared the information that had been released at 12:30 p.m.  Giving a bit of good news, the Deputy Prime Minister said the Labour Force increased to 203,730, or 1.8 percent.

Angel Keepers Insert

“Now for the bad news. Unfortunately, the conditions of school leavers drove up the unemployment rate by a modest .2 percent.”  This figure, he said, is something to be proud of because it could be a lot worse.

GB CHAMBER EXECUTIVES“What is particularly pleasing news,” he continued.  “Despite what is said about Grand Bahama, and its unemployment rate, the unemployment rate in Grand Bahama declined slightly from 12.4 percent in May, to 12.1 percent.

“So, while it’s not big news we’re all very appreciative for all of you who would responsible for that .3 percent decline in unemployment here in Grand Bahama, and it’s no surprise where that decline happened.   It’s primarily in the transportation sector looking at the Container Port, the Harbour, Shipyard and related companies.”

Congratulating the business owners on the work they are doing in the Grand Bahama community, Deputy Prime Minister Turnquest said their efforts are not lost on the Government or the Ministry of Finance knowing the challenges that exist both in Grand Bahama as well as throughout the country.

bits n bytes insert FIX

“But the good news is that we believe, we are starting to turn the corner and that 2018 is going to be another year of recovery for us here in Grand Bahama and throughout the country.  I want to encourage you to continue to persevere.  I know it’s not easy but the corner is coming.”

In closing, he said, it is expected that good things will happen in Grand Bahama in the coming months.

 

Release: BIS

Photo caption

Header: Deputy Prime Minister.

Insert: GB Chamber Executives.

BIS Photos/Lisa Davis

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING