Connect with us

Bahamas News

Premier exonerated from rumors about citizenship, TCI-birther investigation proves Robinson is legitimate country leader

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, December 22, 2017 – Providenciales – The Premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands is Bahamian born, but she is no longer a Bahamian citizen and can legally and is rightfully holding elected office in the Turks and Caicos Islands; this is the conclusion of an Integrity Commission investigation into the eligibility of Sharlene Robinson to be the premier following a complaint filed just last month.

The complaint comes after Robinson has served a full term as the first all island member and Leader of the Opposition from 2012 to 2016 and after she was elected in 2016, once again as the first all island member and the leader of the People’s Democratic Movement party .   The investigation is one of many peculiar attacks on the country leader amidst ongoing social media and social circle rows which have unraveled and erupted in plain sight over the year; with brutal, vicious and downright disrespectful comments being made by some people on both sides of the divide.

The Integrity Commission’s Deputy Director, Richard Been said the IC is compelled by law to investigate all complaints.   His media release today said in part, “the Commission investigated these allegations and can confirm that they are false.   Prior to the 2012 General Elections and in compliance with the law as it was then interpreted, the Premier did renounce her Bahamian citizenship along with some other members of the House of Assembly affected.   She is also in possession of current and previous TCI Passports, some dating back to more than ten years ago.   She was thus eligible and was duly elected into the TCI House of Assembly in 2012.   Since then, and notwithstanding the current position of the law, she had neither applied for nor possessed any Bahamian Passport.   Thus, she remained eligible for and was duly elected into the House Assembly at the 2016 General Elections, contrary to the complaint.   Most, if not all, of these facts are easily verifiable from the public and official records of the relevant authorities in TCI and the Bahamas.”

In putting the rumor to bed, the Integrity Commission also asks countrymen to be more responsible in using social media.

“The Commission is once again emphasizing that persons who use the liberty of social media as a cloak to make or give false and malicious information or complaints against other persons, agencies or institutions, especially where the truth of such information or complaint can easily be confirmed, must be prepared to face the severe consequences under the law for doing so.”

The warning is a firm reminder that some individuals may be opening themselves up to liable or defamation law suits for false or erroneous character attacks.

#MagneticMediaNews

#Premierexoneratedfromcitizenshiprumors

#IntegrityCommissionclearsPremier

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING