Connect with us

Bahamas News

New FirstCaribbean Mobile App Features

Published

on

#Bahamas, December 18, 2017 – Nassau  – CIBC FirstCaribbean has put the power to monitor their debit and credit card accounts for fraud in the hands of its clients by introducing client-controlled anti-fraud tools, such as a geo-location service, transaction controls (including the ability to Freeze their Card) and real-time alerts, to its award-winning mobile banking app just in time for the holidays.

The new features demonstrate the importance of clients’ card safety and security to CIBC FirstCaribbean.

“The bank is committed to putting industry leading mobile banking capabilities in our clients’ hands”, says Trevor Torzsas, Managing Director Cards and Customer Relationship Management.

“We listened to our clients and added these enhancements to meet their needs and demands.   We added a two-step verification process (fingerprint/touch ID sign in) as well as the capability for card users to transfer funds and track and monitor their transactions from their smartphones.   We are proud to now offer new capabilities that add an extra layer of protection.”

The new services are built on Visa technology called mobile location confirmation and Freeze your card service – the first features of their kind to be offered by a bank within the English-speaking Caribbean region.   The Freeze My Card feature allows clients to place a temporary freeze on their debit and credit cards if they misplace or lose their card.   Clients will be able to reactivate their card when they have located their lost card – all through their mobile phone.

Clients are also now able to make use of the Mobile Location Confirmation feature.   Enabling this feature notifies CIBC FirstCaribbean of the client’s location and compares the location of the client to their card’s location.   This feature is available on credit cards only.   Additionally, the enhanced mobile banking app allows clients to receive real time alerts as soon as any transaction is processed on their debit or credit card.

The features were made available to clients throughout the region last week. Users can opt in or out through their CIBC FirstCaribbean Mobile banking app. The enhancements are available on both Android and Apple devices.

“So far, within days of being available in the app stores, a significant number of CIBC FirstCaribbean clients have opted for the new upgrades.   The successful uptake of the features is a result of the bank’s client centric app development.   Clients have asked for better fraud protection and we gave it to them”, Torzsas said.

A little over a year ago the bank launched the successful mobile banking app throughout the region.   The app joined CIBC FirstCaribbean’s convenience channels – including the internet banking and ABM services.   The continual enhancements of the app are a sign of CIBC FirstCaribbean’s commitment to provide a banking experience that fits the lives of its clients.   According to Mr. Torzsas, more digital channel enhancements are in motion to be rolled out in the coming year.

Press Release: CIBCFCIB

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING