Connect with us

Bahamas News

Prime Minister visits Antiquities, Monuments, and Museum Corporation

Published

on

DSC_7890Bahamas, June 22, 2017 – Nassau – The construction and/or renovation of a National Museum of The Bahamas has tremendous potential in terms of not only preserving the country’s history for future generations of Bahamians, but also in generating job and wealth creation opportunities for Bahamians of all walks of life, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert Minnis said Wednesday.

Just last week, the Prime Minister proposed the construction of a National Museum of The Bahamas not only for the benefit of Bahamians, but also as a heritage experience for tourists. The Prime Minister said the construction of a National Museum of The Bahamas would reap great dividends for the country.

On Wednesday (June 21), Prime Minister Minnis said whether the National Museum of The Bahamas will be constructed as a free-standing facility or through the renovation of existing space at “Centreville” (where the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation is currently located in the old Ministry of Education Headquarters Compound on Shirley Street and Collins Avenue) is a matter that will be up for discussion with officials at the Corporation which is headed by Dr. Keith Tinker, Ph.D., Director of the National Museum of The Bahamas, the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation (AMMC).

“The Bahamas has great potential in terms of our history and our historic sites and we have to grasp the opportunity,” Prime Minister Minnis said. “It’s unfortunate they (Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation) do not have a proper museum within which to display that history. That must be dealt with as we move forward because Bahamians are losing a lot of their history.

“We must see to it that a proper museum is either constructed or renovated in order to give Bahamians and visitors alike an opportunity to see these artifacts being displayed properly so that they will be able to get a glimpse into our great Bahamian history.

DSC_7962“Whether we will construct a free standing museum or renovate what is here now, is a discussion they and I will have going forward, but the bottom line is we must have a proper museum to display the various artifacts found within The Bahamas – plus its an excellent attraction for both tourists and residents.”

Prime Minister Minnis made his comments while visiting facilities at the site of the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation. The tour was part of the Prime Minister’s ongoing familiarization visits to government corporations, ministries and departments that fall under the purview of the Office of the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Minnis’ most recent visit was to the Department of Lands and Surveys. Officials there say it was the first time a Minister at any level had visited the Department in almost thirty years. As with all of his previous familiarization visits, the Prime Minister was accompanied by Mr. Jack Thompson, Permanent Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister.

“I am an ardent believer in culture. I think it has a great role to play in terms of attracting cruise and airlift tourists to our shores and expanding economic opportunities for Bahamians while also increasing revenue,” Prime Minister Minnis said.

“Ours is a richly textured culture. Our history, music, food, dance, art, craft and our folkways are distinctly different. We must fully capitalize on our culture and heritage to add a more vibrant visitor experience.”

Prime Minister Minis said twenty-first century travelers are seeking more than the proverbial sun, sand and sea experience.

“They travel in search of unique and authentic experiences. The Bahamas has a rich culture that can provide those experiences and should be tapped into to generate additional tourism revenue.”

Prime Minister Minnis encouraged executives at the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation to develop a Master Plan for the development of the National Museum of The Bahamas – one that would allow for job and wealth creation for a larger number of Bahamians.

DSC_7973“Government obviously does not have all of the necessary resources to do certain things and I am an ardent believer in privatization because through privatization you expand wealth,” Prime Minister Minnis said.

“When I say privatize, I am not suggesting privatizing to any select group, but the kind of privatization that will create wealth and expand wealth to give everybody an opportunity. Individuals can have great ideas, but not necessarily the resources. Government’s responsibility should be to create opportunities for them so that you can create wealth, but not confine it (wealth) to one location. If you do that with the multiple forts that we have for example, then you would be surprised at the amount of jobs you create, the amount of opportunities you create and that’s the type of privatization I prefer, the kind that expands wealth and create job opportunities for more Bahamians,” Prime Minister Minnis added.

Press Release: BIS

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Groundbreaking for Grand Bahama Aquatic Centre

Published

on

PM: Project delivers on promise and invests in youth, sports and national development

 

GRAND BAHAMA, The Bahamas — Calling it the fulfillment of a major commitment to the island, Prime Minister Philip Davis led the official groundbreaking for the Grand Bahama Aquatic Centre, a facility the government says will transform sports development and create new opportunities for young athletes.

Speaking at the Grand Bahama Sports Complex on February 12, the Prime Minister said the project represents more than bricks and mortar — it is an investment in people, national pride and long-term economic activity.                                                                                                                                                    The planned complex will feature a modern 50-metre competition pool, designed to meet international standards for training and regional and global swim meets. Davis said the facility will give Bahamian swimmers a home capable of producing world-class performance while also providing a space for community recreation, learn-to-swim programmes and water safety training.

He noted that Grand Bahama has long produced outstanding athletes despite limited infrastructure and said the new centre is intended to correct that imbalance, positioning the island as a hub for aquatic sports and sports tourism.

The Prime Minister also linked the development to the broader national recovery and revitalisation of Grand Bahama, describing the project as part of a strategy to expand opportunities for young people, create jobs during construction and stimulate activity for small businesses once operational.

The Aquatic Centre, he said, stands as proof that promises made to Grand Bahama are being delivered.

The project is expected to support athlete development, attract competitions, and provide a safe, modern environment for residents to access swimming and water-based programmes for generations to come.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Tens of Millions Announced – Where is the Development?

Published

on

The Bahamas, February 15, 2026 – For the better part of three years, Bahamians have been told that major Afreximbank financing would help transform access to capital, rebuild infrastructure and unlock economic growth across the islands. The headline figures are large. The signing ceremonies are high profile. The language is ambitious. What remains far harder to see is the measurable impact in the daily lives of the people those announcements are meant to serve.

The Government’s push to secure up to $100 million from Afreximbank for roughly 200 miles of Family Island roads dates back to 2025. In its February 11 disclosure, the bank outlined a receivables-discounting facility — a structure that allows a contractor to be paid early once work is completed, certified and invoiced, with the Government settling the bill later. It is not cash placed into the economy upfront. It does not, by itself, build a single mile of road. Every dollar depends on work first being delivered and approved.

The wider framework has been described as support for “climate-resilient and trade-enhancing infrastructure,” a phrase that, in practical terms, should mean projects that lower the cost of doing business, move people and goods faster, and keep the economy functioning. But for communities, that promise becomes real only when the projects are named, the standards are defined and a clear timeline is given for when work will begin — and when it will be finished.

Bahamians have seen this moment before.

In 2023, a $30 million Afreximbank facility for the Bahamas Development Bank was hailed as a breakthrough that would expand access to financing for local enterprise. It worked in one immediate and measurable way: it encouraged businesses to apply. Established, revenue-generating Bahamian companies responded to the call, prepared plans, and entered a process they believed had been capitalised to support growth. The unanswered question is how much of that capital has reached the private sector in a form that allowed those businesses to expand, hire and generate new economic activity.

Because development is not measured in the size of announcements.

It is measured in loans disbursed, projects completed and businesses expanded.

The pattern is becoming difficult to ignore. In June 2024, when Afreximbank held its inaugural Caribbean Annual Meetings in Nassau, Grand Bahama was presented as the future home of an Afro-Caribbean marketplace said to carry tens of millions of dollars in investment. What was confirmed at that stage was a $1.86 million project-preparation facility — funding for studies and planning to make the development bankable, not construction financing. The larger build-out remains dependent on additional approvals, land acquisition and further capital.

This distinction — between financing announced and financing that produces visible, measurable outcomes — is now at the centre of the national conversation.

Because while the numbers grow larger on paper, entrepreneurs still describe access to capital as out of reach, and communities across the Family Islands are still waiting to see where the work will start.

And in an economy where stalled growth translates into lost opportunity, rising frustration and real social consequences, the gap between promise and delivery is no longer a communications issue.

It is an inability to convert announcements into outcomes.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.  

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

What Happens When Police Arrest 4,000+ Wanted Suspects and Tighten Bail

Published

on

A hardline strategy that reduced murders, gunfire, and collateral deaths

 

The Bahamas, February 8, 2026 – What happens when police stop routinely granting bail to high-risk suspects and aggressively execute outstanding warrants? In The Bahamas, the answer in 2025 was fewer murders, fewer gunshots, and safer communities.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force arrested 4,337 individuals on outstanding warrants last year, ensuring suspects were brought directly before the courts instead of being released back onto the streets. At the same time, police significantly curtailed the use of police bail for high-risk and repeat offenders, particularly those already entangled in violent disputes.

Police Commissioner Shanta Knowles said the shift was informed by hard lessons from previous years. Intelligence reviews showed that many homicide victims were not random targets, but men already wanted by law enforcement and — critically — by other criminals. When released on bail, those individuals often became targets themselves, triggering retaliatory shootings that spilled into neighbourhoods, roadways and public spaces.

By keeping high-risk suspects in custody pending court appearances, police say they disrupted that cycle — removing both potential offenders and potential victims from the streets.

The impact was stark. Murders declined by 31 percent in 2025, falling from 120 in 2024 to 83, the largest percentage decrease in homicides since national tracking began in 1963 and the lowest murder count in nearly two decades.

Police leaders say the strategy also reduced the collateral damage that had increasingly alarmed communities. Innocent residents had been caught in “sprays of gunfire” as targeted attacks unfolded in residential areas, at traffic stops, and in public settings.

Gun-violence indicators reflected the change. Gunshot reports fell by 35 percent, while incidents detected by ShotSpotter technology declined by 29 percent, confirming that fewer shots were being fired across the country.

“Gunshots ringing out and cutting through our peaceful paradise were down remarkably,” Commissioner Knowles said, attributing the improvement to decisive enforcement, tighter bail practices, and sustained pressure on offenders.

Police also intensified enforcement against breach of bail conditions, charging and detaining more suspects than in any previous reporting period. Officers say the approach removed the opportunity for repeat offending while matters were before the courts.

Police leadership said the results go beyond statistics. By limiting bail for high-risk suspects and executing warrants at scale, the strategy saved lives, protected bystanders, and restored confidence in public safety.

In 2025, fewer people were hunted, fewer bullets were fired, and fewer families were left grieving — a shift police say was no accident, but the result of deliberate, hardline choices.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING