The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force (RTCIPF), has issued these safety tips soley as a precaution in the event of a Robbery at any business place in the Turks & Caicos Islands (TCI).
BEFORE OR DURING INCIDENT:
1. Do not be heroic.
2. Stay calm.
3. Obey the offender’s instructions.
4. Never assume a firearm is fake or a toy.
5. Use non-threatening behaviour and avoid eye contact.
6. Observe the offender as much as possible.
7. Stay out of danger if you are not directly involved.
FOLLOWING THE INCIDENT:
1. Call 911.
2. Don t hang up unless told to do so. Keep the line open.
3. Supply to 911:
• Name and address of premises
• Number of offenders and brief description
• Description of vehicle if used
• Direction of travel
4. Check for injuries to staff and customers. Tell the 911 operator if an ambulance is required- 911 can call an ambulance.
5. Keep everyone away from anything the offender may have come in contact with such as counters. Avoid moving or touching anything left behind.
6. Avoid touching firearms or ammunition.
7. Avoid touching spent cartridges or bullet holes.
8. Request everyone to remain.
9. Obtain name and contact details of all witnesses if possible.
10. Have all staff and customers record their observations independently.
11. Discuss the matter with Police before you speak to the media.
Police are urging anyone with information about any crime to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 8477 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www.crimestoppers.tc. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.