Connect with us

Bahamas News

Health Officials Re-launch Vaccination Outreach Programme against Measles

Published

on

By LINDSAY THOMPSON
Bahamas Information Services
 



NASSAU, The Bahamas –– Due to measles outbreaks in countries in close proximity to The Bahamas, the Ministry of Health and Wellness is taking no chances and officially re-launched its Community Vaccination Outreach Programme, to keep the public aware of the contagious disease.

A press conference was held on Wednesday, April 23 2025 at the Ministry on Meeting Street, during which health officials also discussed the immunization and vaccination status locally.

Present were the Hon. Dr. Michael Darville, Minister of Health and Wellness; Dr. Philip Swann, Acting Director, Department of Public Health; Dr. Jillian Bartlett, Senior Medical Officer; Nurse Gina Ferguson-Rose, National Immunization Coordinator; and Dr. Eldonna Boisson, PAHO/WHO Representative for The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos Islands.

The update coincided with observance of Vaccination Week in The Americas, April 26 to May 3, 2025 under the theme ‘Your Decision Makes a Difference. Immunization for All.’                                                                                                                                                             According to the Centre for Disease Control, the United States confirmed over 800 cases of measles this year, including a death in Texas, and cases in Florida, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, and Washington. This is compared to 248 cases for the entire year, 2024. In Canada during the first two months of 2025, there were 227 measles cases, with many requiring hospitalizations. Compared to 146 for the whole of last year.  Last week, Belize reported two cases.

“Which is one of the reasons the Department of Public health is having this press conference to alert parents of the danger and the need to ensure your child is immunized,” said Dr. Darville.

He noted that many of the confirmed measles cases in the US are in states that have direct flights to The Bahamas, which can result in possible imported cases.

“Secondly, the country’s current Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) immunization rates are just under 85 percent which makes us very vulnerable as a nation,” he said.

Dr. Darville said he was pleased to report that “there are no reported cases of measles in the country and the Department of Public Health along with our partner PAHO, is launching a community based door-to-door programme to promote public awareness and education programmes about measles, mumps and rubella, and to immunized those children that may have been missed.”

He reminded the public that measles is a highly contagious disease and the rapid spread is of great concern to public health.  And, he reaffirmed that immunizations are free at the public clinics, urging parents and guardians to review their children’s immunization records.  If they have any concerns, contact the team at the newly reopened Baillou Hill Road Community Clinic or the EPI center at 341-1741 or 341-1766.

“Remember these vaccines have been around for decades. They are safe, effective and are provided free of charge at all public health facilities,” said Dr. Darville.

Dr. Swann reinforced the message that the measles vaccine is a vital tool in protecting public health. It prevents measles, a highly contagious disease that can lead to severe complications such as pneumonia, encephalitis, and even death, especially in young children and individuals with weakened immune systems.

“By achieving high vaccination rates, communities benefit from herd immunity, which helps shield those who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical conditions. The vaccine has played a key role in drastically reducing measles cases worldwide, contributing to efforts toward the potential elimination of the disease. Promoting widespread access to the vaccine is essential to safeguarding lives and preventing outbreaks,” he said.

He added, “We believe that combining these strategies can boost vaccination rates and help protect entire communities through herd immunity.”

Dr Swann advised the public that the Department of Public Health is re-launching its community programme. The first wave will be the teams of nurses and nurse extenders who will be wearing Vaccination Week in the Americas t-shirts. And, they would be in communities this week with a blitz being planned for the communities served by the Baillou hill Road and Fleming Street clinics this coming weekend.

Dr. Eldonna Boisson, PAHO/WHO Representative for The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos Islands also stressed the importance of being vaccinated.

“The problem for us is that our vaccination coverage is dangerously low. What this means is that if a case of measles comes into The Bahamas, we are at a very high risk of that case spreading the diseases to the Bahamian population, particularly children.

“We run a very real risk of having a measles outbreak, which needless to say will also severely affect tourism.

“So, what can we do? The answer is simple. Ensure that we are vaccinated with two doses of the MMR vaccine. This will protect the children and prevent spread of this potentially very severe disease,” she said.

(BIS Photos/Mark Ford)

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING