Connect with us

News

Algeria steps up preparations for IATF2025 as six-month countdown starts

Published

on

Algiers, March 17, 2025 – Preparations are on course for the Intra-African Trade Fair 2025 (IATF2025), Africa’s premier trade and investment event that will be held in Algiers, Algeria from 4th to 10th September 2025.

With only six months to go until IATF2025, the Government of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria in conjunction with the organising committee is stepping up final preparations for the event that is expected to bring to Algeria over 35,000 visitors from more than 140 countries to participate in what has become the foremost trade and investment platform on the continent and a marketplace for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).

Addressing the fourth meeting of the Advisory Council of IATF, Algeria’s Minister of External Trade and Export Promotion, Hon. Mohammed Boukhari said, “Algeria has expressed its full readiness to organise IATF2025, especially given our extensive capabilities and resources which will be leveraged fully to ensure the success of this important event. A high-level intersectoral committee has been established to oversee and monitor the preparations. We are confident that IATF2025 will meet the set objectives as it perfectly aligns with Algeria’s economic objectives and we are committed to making the trade fair a resounding success.”

The Minister noted that Algeria takes pride in its continental belonging, which ‘reflects its deep-rooted civilisation and strengthens its future aspirations.’

More than 2,000 exhibitors including businesses from the continent and oversees will be showcasing their goods and services to thousands of visitors and buyers during the fair. It is expected to result in trade and investment deals worth over US$44 billion, spotlighting the growing impact of the fair as Africa’s leading marketplace. The Government of Algeria is putting in place measures to ensure a seamless travel experience for the huge number of visitors expected to attend IATF2025.

Deputy Chairman of the IATF Advisory Council and former President of African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank), Mr. Jean Louis-Ekra said, “We have had a fruitful meeting of the Advisory Council. We are satisfied with the commitment and progress made so far towards preparing for IATF2025 as September beckons. We encourage countries, corporates, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), buyers, visitors, and delegates to take this early opportunity to register for the trade fair.”

IATF is a platform for boosting trade and investment in Africa and aims to tap into opportunities from AfCFTA’s single market of over 1.4 billion people and a GDP of over US$3.5 trillion. It is held biennially by Afreximbank, in collaboration with the African Union Commission (AUC) and the AfCFTA Secretariat. In the last three editions of IATF, over $100 billion in trade and investment deals have been closed cumulatively with over 70,000 visitors and more than 4,500 exhibitors participating.

Ahead of the Advisory Council meeting, Mrs Kanayo Awani, Executive Vice President, Intra-African Trade & Export Development Bank at Afreximbank briefed Hon. Boukhari on pending deliverables identified during the CANEX WEEKEND, which was held in Algiers in 2024 and used as a dry run for IATF2025. The Minister acknowledged the gaps and committed to addressing them promptly and putting measures in place to ensure a seamless travel experience for the large number of visitors expected at IATF2025.

Mrs. Awani stated, “Overall, we are happy with the progress made towards hosting IATF2025, the biggest trade and investment platform on the continent. I want to laud the Government of Algeria for agreeing to take necessary measures to ensure that IATF2025 is a resounding success. IATF2025 is pivotal to advancing intra-African trade. Therefore, I want to encourage local businesses, especially SMEs, to take advantage of the fair to showcase their products and services to buyers and visitors attending the fair, in order to expand their markets.”

Some of the activities lined up for the week-long IATF2025 include a trade exhibition by countries and businesses; the Creative Africa Nexus (CANEX) programme with a dedicated exhibition and summit on fashion, music, film, arts and craft, sports, literature, gastronomy and culinary arts; a four-day Trade and Investment Forum featuring leading African and international speakers; and the Africa Automotive Show for auto manufacturers, assemblers, original equipment manufacturers and component suppliers.

Special Days will also be held, dedicated for countries as well as public and private entities to showcase trade and investment opportunities, and tourism and cultural attractions, as well as Global Africa Day to highlight commercial and cultural ties between Africa and its diaspora, featuring a Diaspora Summit, market and exhibition, cultural and gastronomic showcase.

Also planned is a business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-government (B2G) platform for matchmaking and business exchanges; the AU Youth Start-Up programme showcasing innovative ideas and prototypes; the Africa Research and Innovation Hub @IATF targeting university students, academia and national researchers to exhibit their innovations and research projects; and the African Sub-Sovereign Governments Network (AfSNET) to promote trade, investment, educational and cultural exchanges at the local level. The IATF Virtual platform is already live, connecting exhibitors and visitors throughout the year.

To participate in IATF2025 please visit www.intrafricantradefair.com.

 

Image caption: Deputy Chairman of the IATF Advisory Council and former President of Afreximbank, Mr. Jean Louis-Ekra (in the middle), Algeria’s Minister of External Trade and Export Promotion, Hon. Mohammed Boukhari (second right), Mrs. Kanayo Awani, Executive Vice President Intra-African Trade and Export Development at Afreximbank (second left) and Mr. Albert Kan-Dapaah, representing H.E. Wamkele Mene, Secretary-General of the AfCFTA Secretariat (left) and Ms. Salma Mansouri, Secretary of State, for African matters, Republic of Algeria (right)

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

News

BermudAir Launches New York Area’s First Nonstop Service to South Caicos, Now Just a 3.5 Hour Flight from Newark

Published

on

Twice-Weekly Nonstop Flights Begin December 20 with Fares from $347 One Way, Creating Direct Access to Salterra Resort & Spa

– New Route Expands BermudAir’s Winter Turks & Caicos Network –

 

[New York, NY – August 20, 2026]BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter.  The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.

The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area.  This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027.  Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.

The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.

Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.

While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.

Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.

Expanded Winter Season

  • To South Caicos:
  • Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
  • To Turks and Caicos:
  • Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
  • Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
  • Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.

“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”

The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry.  All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.

“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”

For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING