Connect with us

TCI News

$8.9 Million Redevelopment of South Dock Begins

Published

on

Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer 

#TurksandCaicosIslands, February 1, 2024 – A transformation of the country’s largest shipping port that will drive down the cost of shipping, goods and services is what the government is promising will come from the $8.9 million South Dock Port Redevelopment and Modernisation project.

“Phase one will consist of a new cargo terminal with two berths and a roll-on-roll-off ramp. The new dock will be approximately 374 feet long, varying between 98 feet and 131 feet wide; we are dredging two deeper and wider berthing pockets and a larger turning pocket for proper safer navigation as well,” said Tueton Williams, Ports Authority Board Chairman, at the January 25th groundbreaking. 

He was reeling off the benefits of an expanded dock; touting it as a step towards lowering the overall cost of living for Turks and Caicos Islanders. 

The project had been approved as far back as 2020.  At the time, South Dock was described by Delton Jones, Director of Ports, as nearing the end of its useful life after 25 years of acting as the gateway for all imports to the Turks and Caicos. 

With the country now expanding in almost every way from housing, population, tourism, to hotel room, it is expected that trade too will increase necessitating an improved ‘doorway’. 

“Today’s groundbreaking reflects years of input by my staff, government entities, consultants and stakeholders. It also marks the continuation of our collaboration as we aim to deliver this project in a timely manner. I thank successive governments and ministers with responsibilities for ports for recognizing the strategic importance of this redevelopment project,” said Jones. 

Ground was broken ahead of the scheduled date for the project which hadn’t even been included in the 2023/24 budget year. The funding was brought forward from the 2024/25 financial year and was approved in September 2023 via a Supplementary Appropriations Bill.

That $8.9 million allocation is the first tranche of a $41 million total cost and will cover Phases 1 and 2 of the redevelopment, which is one of the government’s 10 priority projects. 

To be completed with that cash is: 

  • A new multi-purpose container yard with more storage;
  • Terminal rows to facilitate smooth traffic
  • A new  Port Authority Office.
  • internal roads, and installation of a new scale. 
  • A safe-water drainage system, 
  • A larger turning basin, and
  • Raising the port to improve climate resilience.

As for how the government envisions all of the work will eventually pay off, it’s expected that there will be a reduced cost of living, more efficient stevedoring process, reduced tariffs, reduced waiting time and other benefits.

The government says that as it is making infrastructural changes, upgrades will also come to the digitization of the ports and human resources to make sure that the staff is able to operate the modernized facility   

“[It] will not only shape the future of our community, but also leave an indelible mark on the global landscape of trade and commerce here in the Turks and Caicos Islands,” said Arlington Musgrove, Minister of Immigration and Border Services. 

Washington Misick, TCI Premier, in his remarks, indicated that while the journey had been long, this was a significant milestone. He personally thanked the members of the Port Authority, who were in attendance for the hard work they put into making the project reality.

Misick had promised in early 2023 that a local contractor would be hired for the job, now entrusted with the large project is Island Site Development.

South Duck facilitated over $600 million in trade with and generated $6 million in taxes for the government in the 2022/23 financial year. 

Phase one of the project is expected to be completed by the end of 2024. 

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

News

BermudAir Launches New York Area’s First Nonstop Service to South Caicos, Now Just a 3.5 Hour Flight from Newark

Published

on

Twice-Weekly Nonstop Flights Begin December 20 with Fares from $347 One Way, Creating Direct Access to Salterra Resort & Spa

– New Route Expands BermudAir’s Winter Turks & Caicos Network –

 

[New York, NY – August 20, 2026]BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter.  The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.

The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area.  This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027.  Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.

The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.

Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.

While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.

Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.

Expanded Winter Season

  • To South Caicos:
  • Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
  • To Turks and Caicos:
  • Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
  • Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
  • Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.

“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”

The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry.  All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.

“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”

For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com

Continue Reading

News

Salt Cay Water Shortage Unresolved as Residents Question Promised Relief

Published

on

SALT CAY — Residents say Salt Cay’s prolonged water shortage remains unresolved, with no visible activity or relief from the measures Government said would be advanced last week.

The crisis began in June after a critical filter failed at the island’s reverse osmosis plant, severely disrupting local water production. Residents told Magnetic Media Tuesday morning that neither the replacement filter nor the promised bulk shipment of emergency water appeared to have arrived.

Minister of Innovation, Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders, however, said the filter is already on Salt Cay.

“The RO filter is on Salt Cay and it’s being installed,” Saunders told Magnetic Media.

The large emergency water shipment has not materialised. Saunders said transporting more than 1,000 gallons in a single container requires a barge, and officials are still attempting to source one.

Government had previously indicated that it would try to deliver up to 2,500 gallons to partially replenish Salt Cay’s depleted storage tanks while repairs continued.

Saunders had initially projected that the RO plant would be fully operational by August 19. He now says the system is expected to return to full operation “in a few days.”

For residents, however, the immediate reality remains unchanged: the shortage continues, the bulk water has not arrived and the promised relief is not yet flowing.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING