Connect with us

News

“Sabotage” at Dump as Gov’t faces Law Suit and reveals New Management  

Published

on

Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer 

 

#TurksandCaicos, January 18, 2024 – Legal action is being taken against the Turks and Caicos Islands Government by residents who claim they have been sickened by the recurring fires at the Providenciales Landfill, also known as the Wheeland Dump.

News of the lawsuit came just days before new contractors who will run the landfill were meeting with government officials, and a fire was raging at the waste site. The lawsuit also looms as the Government earlier this week announced it would make major announcements related to the landfill in a Thursday January 18 press conference.

A letter dated January 2, from Stanbrook and Prudhoe was shared with our team on January 9  calling for residents’ assistance. The law firm was searching for testimonials of health issues caused by the dump to assist with a personal injury action filed against TCIG, specifically, the Minister of Health and the Director of Environmental Health.

It’s the culmination of years of fires erupting at the dump, which residents’ have complained has affected the air quality of the surrounding communities with odors ranging from the stench of garbage, illegal coal kilns and thick unpleasant smelling smoke.

The issue is only just being corralled by the current government and its lead on Solid Waste Management, Kyle Knowles also happens to be the Member of Parliament for the area directly impacted by the site.

Not many days into the new year, on January 9, 2024, around 11 a.m. residents began to report choking clouds of smoke at the Providenciales Landfill to the Magnetic Media News Team. When we reached out to Hon Knowles for an update, the MP said he was at that moment meeting with the team that would be responsible for making sure dump fires were a thing of the past.

“It seems to be borderline a malicious act that has now become widespread—- it is ironic– the time frame of this, as we are in the process of onboarding the company that will take over the management and operations of the dump; with all of the necessary skill sets needed to transform the dump to something more environmentally friendly than it is now,” Knowles had said in the phone interview.

When we asked for more information on the team Knowles said, “The most that I can say with the new contractors is that contracts have been signed, we had our first meeting today with them. As far as the start dates there are some things that are still happening behind the scenes but we hope to have them on boarded as quickly as possible.”

The team is composed of experts from across the US and UK. Knowles also maintained that the current fire would be extinguished ASAP.

“The environmental department who is responsible is aware and is working with the fire department to extinguish as quickly as they possibly can.”

As for the lawsuit, the minister said it was an issue he couldn’t speak on.

“I am aware of the legal action taking place but I can’t comment on it, as it is a matter being dealt with through the Ministry of Health and the Attorney General’s chambers.”

While the resident who brought the legal action in question is hoping for a settlement, if necessary, the suit will be submitted to the Supreme Court by the end of January.

The ministry has now invited media to a press conference, where they will “address the solid waste management project (Provo dump site). Speakers include: The Minister of Health; PS, Ministry of Health; Member, HOA representative for Wheeland; Chief Environmental Health Officer and Contractor.”

Bahamas News

“Politician-1” Frenzy Intensifies After Plane Crash Survivor Allegedly Misses US Court Appearance

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – Questions and speculation intensified across The Bahamas Thursday night after Eyewitness News reported that Jonathan Eric Gardiner — the Election Day plane crash survivor now accused in a major international cocaine trafficking conspiracy — was allegedly a no-show for a scheduled US court appearance.

The latest development adds yet another dramatic twist to a case that has already pushed the country into political and social fever pitch.

Gardiner first appeared in federal court in Orlando on May 15 following his arrest on a New York federal warrant tied to a DEA investigation into alleged cocaine trafficking operations running through The Bahamas into the United States.

But the case exploded nationally after US federal affidavits repeatedly referenced an unnamed Bahamian political figure identified only as:  “Politician-1.”

The filings allege meetings connected to a proposed cocaine shipment and references to political protection for trafficking operations.

No politician has been publicly identified by US prosecutors.

Still, the mystery has consumed the Bahamian public.

Talk shows, social media timelines, Parliament corridors and street corners have erupted with demands for answers, including headlines declaring:  “TELL US WHO IS POLITICIAN 1.”

Public speculation has centered heavily around West End MP Kingsley Smith, who has denied any involvement in drug trafficking or cartel activity.

The controversy became so intense this week that Smith was reportedly heckled inside Parliament while taking his official oath of office.

Adding to the surreal nature of the case are reports carried by The Tribune that some passengers aboard the doomed flight were ordinary Bahamians trying to return home to vote after missing another flight connection on Election Day.

What began as a dramatic survival story involving 11 rescued passengers floating in waters off Florida has now transformed into a sprawling scandal involving alleged drug trafficking, political intrigue, DEA affidavits and mounting national anxiety.

The Tribune has also reported alleged links between Gardiner and construction-related business dealings, while US court documents reportedly describe cash-filled envelopes labeled for “Politician-1” in language investigators viewed as consistent with narcotics payment structures.

For many Bahamians, the story now feels almost unbelievable: an Election Day plane crash, an accused drug kingpin, references to Parliament, public outrage and now questions surrounding an alleged missed US court appearance.

And with official answers still limited, the fever surrounding “Politician-1” appears only to be growing.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

News

TCI Fuel Prices Hit Astonishing Highs – Some Drivers Paying Up To $11 Per Gallon

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 22, 2026 – Fuel prices across the Turks and Caicos Islands remain shockingly high, with motorists in some islands now paying as much as 11 dollars per gallon for gasoline and diesel, according to the latest government fuel report.

The report, released May 20 by the Department of Trade, Industry and Fair Competition, reveals dramatic price differences across the country, exposing the growing cost burden facing residents and businesses outside Providenciales.

The most eye-popping figures come from Salt Cay, where both regular gasoline and diesel were listed at 11 dollars per gallon as of May 18.

In North Caicos, regular gasoline climbed as high as 8 dollars per gallon, while South Caicos stations listed fuel at 8 dollars and 35 cents per gallon.

Even in Providenciales, where prices are typically lower due to higher competition and volume, some stations reported diesel prices ranging from 7 dollars and 40 cents to 7 dollars and 67 cents per gallon. Premium gasoline also approached 7 dollars and 70 cents at some locations.

One of the sharpest increases was recorded at Mervco in Providenciales, where regular gasoline jumped a full dollar in just two weeks — from 5 dollars and 70 cents to 6 dollars and 70 cents per gallon.

The Department said the monthly reports are intended to give consumers greater transparency and understanding of fuel pricing trends throughout the islands.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Three Biggest Takeaways From Commonwealth Observers Include Bahamas Campaign Finance Reform

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – A Commonwealth Observer Group reviewing The Bahamas’ May 12, 2026 General Election has praised Bahamian voters and the country’s democratic traditions — while also raising major concerns about campaign finance laws, media fairness and the lack of a political code of conduct.

The interim report, issued May 14 and led by former Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding, described the election as peaceful and orderly overall, but signaled that several longstanding democratic reforms still remain unresolved in The Bahamas.

CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM

Perhaps the strongest language in the report focused on the continued absence of campaign finance legislation.

The Commonwealth warned there remains: “no statutory framework governing the registration of political parties and the regulation of political contributions and campaign expenditure.”

Observers said that absence: “continues to undermine accountability and contributes to public cynicism regarding the influence of money in politics.”

The report stressed that the relatively small size of Bahamian constituencies makes the country especially vulnerable to concerns over political influence and spending.

The Observer Group said: “The relatively small size of the Bahamian electorate in each constituency makes it especially vulnerable in this regard.”

The recommendation itself is not new — and that was part of the concern.

The Commonwealth pointed out that similar recommendations were made after the 2017 and 2021 elections.

This time, however, the language became sharper: “Ten years after this recommendation was first made by a Commonwealth Observer Group, its implementation has become more urgent.”

VOTERS AND DEMOCRATIC CONDUCT COMMENDED

Even with those concerns, the Group strongly praised Bahamian voters and election workers for maintaining calm and order throughout the election process.

In one of the strongest commendations of the report, observers stated: “We applaud the people of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas for once again exercising their franchise in a peaceful and orderly manner. The Bahamas has a proud democratic tradition, and that tradition has once again been affirmed.”

The Group also commended polling officials for: “the efficiency and professionalism with which they discharged their duties.”

Police, defence force officers, political parties and party agents were also praised for contributing to what observers described as a peaceful election environment.

The report specifically noted the: “maturity of Bahamian electoral culture.”

MEDIA FAIRNESS AND ACCESS

The Commonwealth also raised concerns about media fairness and political influence within parts of the Bahamian media environment.

While the report praised press freedom and described Bahamian private media as vibrant and active, observers said they received complaints about perceived bias and political alignment.

The report stated:  “The vibrancy of private broadcasters and the country’s print media is commendable.”

But it also noted:  “reports of the close relationship between the owners of private media houses and the main political parties and perceptions of biased reporting that this created.”

Observers additionally raised concerns over misinformation and the tone of discourse on social media platforms during the campaign.

The report also revisited concerns surrounding the Broadcasting Corporation of The Bahamas, urging balanced political access and equitable election coverage.

The Commonwealth further encouraged the creation of: “an independent media association to support and regulate media professionals”

along with a media Code of Conduct designed to foster: “greater accountability and fair coverage of election campaigns.”

CODE OF CONDUCT FOR POLITICAL PARTIES

The Observer Group also renewed calls for political parties to formally establish rules governing campaign behavior and political engagement.

The report urged political parties, in consultation with civil society, to develop:  “a Code of Conduct for Political Parties and Candidates.”

According to the Commonwealth, such a Code should clearly define:  “the manner in which campaigns are conducted, standards of civility in public discourse and personal attacks on opponents on social media.”

The recommendation was also made after the 2017 and 2021 elections, signaling what observers see as a continuing need to formalize standards of political behavior and campaign engagement in Bahamian democracy.

The Commonwealth Observer Group is expected to issue a final report with additional recommendations in the months ahead.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING