Connect with us

Government

Opposition Leader says Budget increases going to Consultancies not TCI People

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm 

Staff Writer 

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, May 19, 2023 – The increases in the PNP’s historic $424 million budget are hidden in consultancy, utility, and normal salary inflation costs while programs and services to the people of the Turks and Caicos either remained the same or were directly cut sometimes by thousands of dollars; Edwin Astwood, Leader of the Opposition, was speaking in his response to the new budget.

Astwood maintained, on Wednesday, it is money residents won’t see directly.

“There are big jumps in utility and electricity costs, that is what the minister is bragging about. It isn’t programs, it isn’t money going directly to the people.”

Astwood, who had referred to the budget as a ‘Historic Budget of Constraints,’ found cuts in every ministry and department he shared during his response on May 17th. He said the size of the budget increased every year making them all ‘historic,’ but what was important was the amount of money going directly to the people. That is where he says this budget fails.

“I have seen budgets from former PDM and PNP Administrations provide far, far more for our people while being less in total expenditure. Previous administrations had a higher percentage of the budget going to the people, whereas this budget has almost nothing going directly to the people. The $424 million is the most ever in the overall total but the least ever percentage being spent directly on the people.”

In that vein, he listed what had increased and what had been cut for residents listening in. Astwood said decreases (in budgeted or actual spending) were recorded in: Community Policing; Social Welfare for the Police: Local Training for the Attorney General’s chambers and Deputy Governor’s office; Court Costs; Advertising for the Deputy Governor’s Office; Youth Activities for all schools’ Witness Protection (cut by half); Local Government Transformation; Ministry Travel; Youth Activities in the Youth Department; Cemetery Upkeep; the DMV; Travel, Rations, Maintenance and Social welfare in the Department of Corrections; the Works Program; Maintenance of Roads, fixed assets medical buildings; and public assets in the Ministry of PPID.

There were no decreases (or increases) awarded to the following: Training for police; Legal aid; Repatriation; Invest TCI; Street cleaning under PPID; Maintenance of Street Lights and Vehicles and Youth Activities in the Department of Heritage; Scholarships.

Astwood was incensed at the cuts and lack of increases he said, “We aren’t increasing scholarships? The position of our country today and how we need scholarships– there’s not one cent more in this historic $424 million budget with over $200 million in the bank?” he asked.

He said he was especially frustrated at the cuts and non-increases to youth programs.

“It’s much ado about nothing, nothing has changed. Everything is the same, no increase-” he said, referring to the Department of Heritage’s stagnant budget.

“That is saying that this money isn’t for our children –  we have $424 million and $200 in the bank but our children, taking part in culture, you get nothing.”

Despite claims to the contrary, Green and Gender Budgeting are copiously missing from the budget according to Astwood. He expressed disdain at the $4,800 budgeted for Environmental Awareness Week.

“It’s just a catchphrase for you all. I don’t know if the Premier and Finance Minister knows what green budgeting is; from the allocations here, I have to draw that conclusion,” he said.

Astwood acknowledges increases in the following areas:  National Celebrations; Home Help and Welfare; Consultancies in the Police Department, Immigration, Education, and Tourism. Utilities in the Judiciary; Home Affairs among others also increased. Daycare, After School Programs and Feeding Programs were new programs with significant allocations. Civil Servant costs increased across most departments.

E Jay Saunders, Finance Minister and Deputy Premier, had lambasted Astwood on Tuesday for disparaging his Budget, maintaining that they were spending more on the population than ever before.

“We are spending $135 million more on the people of our beautiful by nature Turks and Caicos Islands than has ever been spent prior to our government— if I’m wrong, tomorrow or today or whenever you come with your speech, please show me where we’re spending less,” he challenged.

Astwood responded to the claims, “We can’t be talking about the biggest budget ever and we’re here cutting and cutting— The Minister of Finance tried to make me out to be a teller of untruth– someone who is misleading the people but we can see it right here in front of us cuts, cuts, cuts!”

He maintained that he was committed to presenting the truth to TCI islanders as it was his job and he would continue to do so.

Listed are a non-exhaustive list of the actual figures itemised by the Leader of the Opposition as as read from the year’s budget book with decreases either from the Budgeted or actual spending in the last financial year:

Social Welfare (Police)  $284 thousand (actual) down to  $250 thousand

Local Training (Attorney General) $26 thousand down to $22 thousand

Court Costs (Judiciary $361 thousand down to $346 thousand

Advertising (Deputy Governor) $55 thousand down to $50 thousand

Local Training (Deputy Governor) $52 thousand down to $40 thousand

Youth Activities (HJ Robinson) $20 thousand down to $14 thousand

Youth Activities (Youth Department) $142 thousand down to $125 thousand

Witness Protection (Home Affairs) $54 thousand down to $21 thousand

Local Government Transformation $49 thousand down to $35 thousand

Cemetery Upkeep from $10 thousand down to $7,500

Travel (Dept of Corrections) $23 thousand down to $13 thousand

Rations(Dept of Corrections) $369 thousand down to  $356 thousand

Maintenance (Dept of Corrections) $439 thousand down to $191 thousand

Social welfare (Dept of Corrections) $251 thousand down to $150 thousand

Works Program (PPID) $3.4 million down to $900 thousand

Maintenance of roads (PPID) $670 thousand down to $635 thousand

A non-exhaustive list of increases as quoted by Astwood included:

Consultancy (Judiciary) $2,000 up to $44 thousand

Consultancy (Immigration) $79 thousand up to $3.1 million

Local training (Immigration) $1,900 up to $3,185

Daycare (Education) new items

National Celebrations (Tourism) $177 Thousand up to $ 213 thousand

Home Help (Home Affairs)  $1.5 million up to $1.6 million

Welfare (Home Affairs) $2.37 million up to $2.38 million

Welfare Grants (Home Affairs)  $128 thousand up to $210 thousand

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Government

$94.1Mfor Health; Knowles Pushes to Keep Care at Home

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, April 25, 2026 – A major shift in how healthcare is delivered in the Turks and Caicos Islands is at the center of the Government’s latest budget, with a focus on reducing reliance on overseas treatment and strengthening services at home.

Presenting his contribution to the national debate, Kyle Knowles outlined a strategy aimed at building a more sustainable healthcare system—one that allows more residents to access quality care within the country.

The health sector has been allocated $94.1 million, making it one of the largest areas of public spending in the $550.8 million Budget passed on April 23.

Central to the Minister’s approach is a restructuring of the Treatment Abroad Programme (TAP), which has grown significantly in recent years as more patients are sent overseas for specialized care.

The Government now aims to reverse that trend.

“We are reforming healthcare to ensure long-term sustainability,” Knowles indicated, pointing to efforts to strengthen local services and reduce the need for travel.

The strategy includes improving healthcare infrastructure, expanding services available within the islands and increasing efficiency through the digitization of medical records.

Digitization is expected to support better coordination of care, reduce delays and allow for more accurate tracking of patient needs—part of a broader effort to modernize public services.

The Minister emphasized that the goal is not only cost control, but improved access.

“No family should have to leave home to get quality care,” he said, underscoring the Government’s intention to refocus healthcare delivery on local capacity.

The shift comes as rising healthcare costs continue to place pressure on public finances, with overseas treatment representing one of the most expensive components of the system.

By investing more heavily in domestic services, the Government is seeking to reduce that burden while improving outcomes for residents.

While the direction is clear, details on timelines and the pace of expansion for local services were not fully outlined in the presentation.

Still, the emphasis on sustainability, access and modernization signals a strategic pivot in how healthcare is expected to evolve in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING