Connect with us

Government

Stop the EXODUS of TCI People says Opposition Leader 

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton and Dana Malcolm 

Editorial Staff  

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, March 9, 2023 – There are ways to track the ebbs and flows of a population; a curious algorithm which estimates how many people are moving into an area and how many are moving out.  Turks and Caicos is not there yet, though recently the Governor of the territory uncorked that he is approving as many as 1,000 people a year for British Overseas Territory Citizenship; reckoning that it makes the TCI the Caribbean country with the fastest growing population.  The thing is, the growth is migrant driven; and the only thing growing when it comes to the indigenous population is the exodus of them to other, more attractive cities around the world.

The issue is a lament of the Leader of the Opposition, who is again accusing the Washington Misick-led, PNP Administration of being disconnected.

“The cost of living is at an all-time high, for many the chance of owning a home is far out of reach. They just can’t afford the extremely high prices.  Many persons have left the country, and many more are planning to leave.  We have not seen an exodus like this since the late ’60s, and early ’70s,” he claimed in a February 27th rebuttal to the State of the State Address delivered by Premier Washington Misick.

Many residents have expressed the same sentiments as they watch their children leave for places overseas and decide not to return.  Last year, E Jay Saunders, TCI Deputy Premier had explained that the country was working on building up its infrastructure to keep people at home.

Astwood also claimed that TCIG is understaffed by hundreds.

“Under this current PNP administration, we are seeing a record amount of vacancies in the Public Service – we heard 400 vacancies— we are seeing persons being sent into retirement while there is still a great need for the retention of their services,” he said.

Last year it was revealed that several government agencies were critically understaffed because, despite publications of opportunities, no one was applying.  The Government is also currently in the midst of a massive employment drive.

On two Bahamas islands during February, the Premier, joined by the Deputy Governor and Minister of Immigration made appeals for Turks and Caicos Islanders to ‘come home’ not only for the investment opportunities, but for the jobs.

The brain drain and employment issues are problems that the government hopes second and perhaps even third-generation immigration will solve in the future.  Astwood is less confident in this strategy, calling the option to enlarge the franchise by changing the policy on who can gain citizenship a ‘knee-jerk reaction and not well thought out’.

Edwin Astwood, LOO said Government’s energies and efforts ought to first be toward creating reasons for Turks and Caicos Islanders to want to return home in order to build their lives and simultaneously, their country.

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Government

$94.1Mfor Health; Knowles Pushes to Keep Care at Home

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, April 25, 2026 – A major shift in how healthcare is delivered in the Turks and Caicos Islands is at the center of the Government’s latest budget, with a focus on reducing reliance on overseas treatment and strengthening services at home.

Presenting his contribution to the national debate, Kyle Knowles outlined a strategy aimed at building a more sustainable healthcare system—one that allows more residents to access quality care within the country.

The health sector has been allocated $94.1 million, making it one of the largest areas of public spending in the $550.8 million Budget passed on April 23.

Central to the Minister’s approach is a restructuring of the Treatment Abroad Programme (TAP), which has grown significantly in recent years as more patients are sent overseas for specialized care.

The Government now aims to reverse that trend.

“We are reforming healthcare to ensure long-term sustainability,” Knowles indicated, pointing to efforts to strengthen local services and reduce the need for travel.

The strategy includes improving healthcare infrastructure, expanding services available within the islands and increasing efficiency through the digitization of medical records.

Digitization is expected to support better coordination of care, reduce delays and allow for more accurate tracking of patient needs—part of a broader effort to modernize public services.

The Minister emphasized that the goal is not only cost control, but improved access.

“No family should have to leave home to get quality care,” he said, underscoring the Government’s intention to refocus healthcare delivery on local capacity.

The shift comes as rising healthcare costs continue to place pressure on public finances, with overseas treatment representing one of the most expensive components of the system.

By investing more heavily in domestic services, the Government is seeking to reduce that burden while improving outcomes for residents.

While the direction is clear, details on timelines and the pace of expansion for local services were not fully outlined in the presentation.

Still, the emphasis on sustainability, access and modernization signals a strategic pivot in how healthcare is expected to evolve in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING