Connect with us

Bahamas News

Prime Minister Davis Highlights His Government’s Accomplishments, Revenue, During Mid-Year Budget Debate

Published

on

#TheBahamas, March 2, 2023  – During his Contribution to the Mid-Year Budget Debate 2023, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Hon. Philip Davis said in the House of Assembly, on March 1, 2023, at the mid-year point of the first full-year budget crafted by his Government, it continues to advance the nation’s recovery from multiple crises, at the same time as building an economy that will be “more dynamic and more inclusive”.

Prime Minister Davis said: “We have:

·         Provided affordable housing: Pinecrest and Carmichael Renaissance are just the beginning.

·         Launched a rent-to-own pilot to make home ownership accessible to more Bahamians.

·         Introduced a number of additional measures to address the very significant impact of the global inflation crisis in The Bahamas, including raising the minimum wage, reducing or suspending import duties on a broad range of goods, expanding the list of items subject to price control – and now, increasing enforcement of those price controls, with dozens of new price control inspectors.

·         Amended the NHI Act to provide for catastrophic health care and amended the Mental Health Act to transform and modernize the way this country deals with the issue of mental health.

Upgraded and continue to upgrade a number of health clinics throughout the country. In fact, we plan to upgrade all 91 of them, and we are finalizing plans to construct 2 new hospitals.

·         Installed free WiFi in parks across the country, to ensure wider participation and access to information in this digital age.

·         Recruited hundreds of new Police, Defence Force, and Immigration officers.

·         Upgraded Family Island infrastructure, including polyclinics, airports, seaports, new roads, seawalls and government complexes. We recently opened a government complex in Bimini and a new passport office in Arthurs Town, Cat Island.

·         Expanded the use of solar power generation, as we pursue broader energy sector reform.

·         Opened the Andre Rodgers Stadium, a world class baseball stadium built to Major League standards, highlighting our commitment to “Sports in Paradise” and the orange economy where sports, creative arts and culture will become a significant pillar of the country’s national economy.

·         Made historic investments in agriculture — stakeholders in the food production industry now say that 30 years of ‘blowing smoke’ (on farming) is over, and that self-sufficiency in egg production project is now achievable, thanks to the innovative Golden Yoke programme launched earlier this week. This is part of a major emphasis on food security. The pandemic and the global inflation crisis have only underscored the dangers of continuing to import so much of what we eat. I can’t wait to go to the market and see shelf after shelf with Bahamian-grown and produced food.”

“So you see, we did not come here to defend the status quo, we came here to change it,” Prime Minister Davis added.

Turning his attention to Revenue, in Fiscal Performance, Prime Minister Davis pointed out that the Government’s fiscal deficit for the first half of the fiscal year decreased by $5.3 million when compared to the previous year.  He added that the deficit totaled $276.0 million for the first six-month of the fiscal year, compared to $281.3 million in the prior year.

“In fact, for the first half of this fiscal year, the primary balance reflected a surplus equating $4.9 million, a major variance from the primary deficit of $41.2 million in the previous year,” Prime Minister Davis noted.  “This primary surplus is the first in a very long time.

“When analyzing over 10 years’ worth of data, it is evident that the Government had reoccurring primary deficits each year, for the same time period.”

Prime Minister Davis said that his Government’s revenue performance during the first half of the fiscal year 2022/2023 had improved significantly due to a “vibrant, rebounding economy and strengthened collection efforts”.

“Macroeconomic indicators show persistent demand in the tourism sector with continued growth in visitor activity and occupancy rates in hotels and the home rental market,” he said.  “These factors, and revenue policies and administration strategies, have produced results, with total revenue estimated at $1.3 billion for the first six months of the fiscal year.”

“Total revenue has surpassed the prior year by $124.6 million and stands at 44.9 percent of the budget forecast,” Prime Minister Davis added.  “Compare that to the first six months of the fiscal year 2018/2019, which can be considered the last ‘normal’ fiscal year, when the total revenue collected during this period accounted for 38.2 percent of the budget forecast.

“This administration’s policies to restore the country’s fiscal health are working – and they are working alongside policies to invest in our people and in our future.”

Prime Minister Davis noted that tax revenue totaled $1.1 billion and strengthened by $130.6 million compared to the prior year, of the same period. Compared to the budget forecast, that represented 44 percent of the collection target,” he added.

“Again, it’s worth comparing that 44 percent to the first six months of the fiscal year 2018/2019 — the last ‘normal’ fiscal year — during which the tax revenue collected accounted for 37.0 percent of the budget forecast,” Prime Minister Davis noted.  “There can be no doubt that improved collection of tax liabilities are contributing to these positive results.”

Compared to total tax revenue, Prime Minister Davis noted that Value-Added Tax (VAT) comprised 54.6 percent of the total. For the first six months of the fiscal year, value-added tax totaled $598.8 million, and grew by $54.2 million compared to the prior year, he added.

“To date, VAT accounts for 42.4 percent of the budget forecast,” Prime Minister Davis pointed out.  “The value-added tax collections continue to improve despite the reduction in the nominal VAT rate from 12 percent to 10 percent, which meant that VAT was reduced across a very broad range of goods and services.”

“Despite the period-over-period improvement in the VAT collection, the VAT yield has not reached its full potential,” he added.  “In fact, I believe that this administration can further increase the VAT yield with more compliance efforts.”

Analyzing historical VAT collections in comparison to the forecast, for the first six months of the fiscal year, revealed that in FY2021/2022 VAT equated 58.8 percent of the budget forecast; in FY2020/2021 VAT equated 43.0 percent of the forecast; and in FY2019/2020 VAT equated 52.9 percent of the forecast, Prime Minister Davis pointed out.

“Thus, although VAT collections to-date increased over the prior year, the collection rate in comparison to the budget, for the first half of this fiscal year, is lower than in the last three fiscal years,” he said.  “This same kind of trend was also seen with business license fee collections during the period, in which the actuals underperformed in comparison to the budget forecast.”

“However, this Administration continues to tighten the approach of tax collection via targeted compliance efforts that fall under the Government’s overall revenue strategy to enhance revenue collections, as stated it the FSR 2022,” Prime Minister Davis added.

“With further enhancement to tax compliance measures, we are confident that we can boost tax collections by reducing revenue leakages and loss.”

Prime Minister Davis said that taxes on international trade and transactions improved by $88.5 million relative to the previous year and totaled $314.3 million. That equated 61.8 percent of the budget target, he pointed out.

“Most notable under this tax component was an improvement in departure tax collection by $45.0 million compared to the prior year, totaling $71.5 million,” Prime Minister Davis said.  “To date, departure tax stands at 73.7 percent of the forecast.

“Also, excise duties grew by $37.4 million to total $119.0 million. At the half-year mark, this accounts for 73.7 percent of the budget forecast.”

Prime Minister Davis noted that, another highlight was property tax collection, which increased to $59.5 million, an improvement of $22.7 million when compared to the prior year. That accounted for 35.1 percent of the budget target, he said.

“Property tax collection at end-December 2022 represents the highest amount collected when compared to collections over the last 9 years, for the same period,” Prime Minister Davis said.

“Based on this trend, property tax collections, by the end of this fiscal year, can have the highest yield seen in a long time.”

Prime Minister Davis stated that non-tax revenue understandably had a modest contraction during the first six months of the fiscal year; as iterated in the mid-year statement, in the prior year, non-tax revenues were inflated due to dividend receipts from BTC, the first in a long time.

“Nevertheless, non-tax revenue totaled $160.6 million during the first half of this fiscal year, and compared to the budget forecast, this accounts for 51.9 percent of the budget target,” he said.  “During the period, non-tax revenue improvements were seen in premiums, fees and current claims that increased by $25.2 million.”

 

(BIS Photos/Anthon Thompson)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS RATING UPGRADE: A WIN—BUT NOT A FREE PASS

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – With elections days away, The Bahamas has picked up a headline-friendly win: a credit rating upgrade.

Here’s the one-liner that matters most:

A higher rating can mean cheaper borrowing for the government—over time.

That’s the upside. When lenders see less risk, they demand lower interest. That can ease the cost of financing big projects and managing national debt.

But that’s only part of the story.

Moody’s Ratings has upgraded The Bahamas to Ba3 from B1, citing stronger fiscal discipline, improved liquidity and a more stable funding strategy. It also points to better tax collection, controlled spending and continued strength in tourism as key drivers.

Moody’s expects the government to maintain solid primary surpluses—essentially bringing in more than it spends before debt payments—and projects national debt to decline from 72.5% of GDP to around 68% by 2027.

That’s progress.

But here’s the reality check.

The Bahamas is still below investment grade. In plain terms, the country remains in speculative territory, meaning investors still see a higher level of risk compared to more stable economies.

Debt, while improving, is still elevated. And the economy remains heavily dependent on tourism—a sector that can shift quickly with global conditions, weather events or geopolitical shocks.

Even Moody’s signals that more work is needed. Further upgrades depend on:

  • sustained reductions in debt
  • improved debt affordability
  • and continued access to favourable financing

So while the upgrade reflects real gains, it is not a finish line.

It is a signal that the country is moving in the right direction—but must stay disciplined to keep that momentum.

For voters heading to the polls, the takeaway is simple:

The Bahamas has strengthened its financial position—but the fundamentals still need work.

The progress is real.

The challenge now is to make it last.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING