Connect with us

Crime

Police who sparked global ‘I can’t breathe movement’ gets 21 Years on a separate abuse case

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#USA, July 15, 2022 – Convicted murderer Derek Chauvin will spend the next twenty-one years in prison whether he wins his recent appeal or not.

The former police officer was sentenced to 25 years in state court last year and appealed that decision but charges had also been brought against him in federal court for George Floyd’s death.

He was sentenced on those charges today and received a twenty-one year sentence. His Federal charges will run concurrently with his state charges if he loses his appeal. This means regardless of the outcome of that appeal he will spend two decades behind bars.

Chauvin plead guilty to the federal charges in a plea deal in last December in which he admitted “that he continued to use force even though he was aware that Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting, talking, and moving, and even though he was aware that Mr. Floyd had lost consciousness and a pulse.”

Floyd was not the first person Chauvin treated this way.  A young man brought charges against the former officer in the same case and he was convicted of abusing the then fourteen year old.  Apparently Chauvin admitted that he held the child by the throat and struck the child multiple times in the head with a flashlight, and that he held his knee on the child’s neck, shoulders, and upper back for between fifteen and sixteen minutes, even though the child was face-down on the floor, handcuffed, and not resisting. This was in 2017.

“Derek Chauvin abandoned his sworn oath to uphold the sanctity of life when he callously took George Floyd’s life and when he violently assaulted a 14-year-old child.  Chauvin’s actions constituted a grave abuse of police authority and a clear violation of these individuals’ civil rights,” said Attorney Andrew Luger.

Chauvin got the chance to speak to Floyd’s children but did not apologize or express remorse.  Instead saying,

“I wish them all the best in their life and that they’ll have excellent guidance in the rest of their life.”

Local media indicate that the former cop will be held in federal prison where he will be safer.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

International GANG behind DEADLY crime wave says TCI Premier

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#TurksandCaicos, September 29, 2022 – International gangs are at least partially behind the unusual and tragic flare up of violence in the Turks and Caicos over the past month according to  Washington Misick, TCI Premier. He made the revelations in a National Address on Monday (September 26) night after the third double murder of the month.

“September has seen organized crime gangs including gangs with international and external affiliations fighting for control of the drugs money and territory in these islands. We are now subject to crime generated not just within our borders but without.”

In response, the country leader said resources were being mobilised to find those responsible ‘whether they are here or elsewhere’.

The premier did not delve into where these international affiliations were or which major organized gangs were reaching into the small archipelago.

The revelation does answer in part at least the perplexing question of why the sheer number of violent killings has risen so dramatically in a little over three weeks. For context 11 of the islands 22 murders this year were committed during that time.

It’s not only international gangs, the drug trade has been fingered by Misick as a major driver of the killings in the TCI. In a previous press conference Misick stressed, “At the heart of the gun violence in this country is drugs, that is what the fight is about and we all know that’s what the fight is about.”

In response the Turks and Caicos Islands Government is calling in the cavalry.  TCIG has requested reinforcements from the Caribbean, North America and Europe, the premier has revealed.

Several immediate actions are to be implemented in the coming weeks and they include:

  • More police officers will be deployed on the street especially in affected areas. While the regiment will not be joining them in the field they will they will take over administrative duties and maritime duties to free up more officers
  • An official letter has been sent to the Foreign Commonwealth development office and Prime Minister Liz Truss requesting military and police assistance. A response is expected shortly with “specific deliverables”
  • Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas have all been contacted to lend police reinforcement which Misick said “should result in boots on the ground” after ‘encouraging’ calls.
  • A request to the US Department of Homeland Security for surveillance aircraft  to patrol the ocean between TCI and Hispaniola to stop all types of smuggling.
  • Twenty-three officers will arrive in the coming days along with a inspector and a chief superintendent to set up a drug gun and gang unit.
  •  Interim and permanent forms of air support are being procured
  • Armored vehicles for police are being purchased and will arrive in the islands in three months

The new measures reflect the gravity of the situation and the request for heavier police presence as made by members of the public;many who are now grieving slaughtered loved-ones say the steps should have been made a lot sooner.

Continue Reading

Crime

TCI’s Murder No. 17, makes sixth death in 10 days

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#TurksandCaicos, September 18, 2022 – Residents are demanding answers about how to keep themselves and their children safe in the midst of gun violence that is happening closer and closer to homes, literally. In a harrowing escalation of violence about 4 pm Tuesday September 13, a man was shot on Millennium Highway near Grant’s Gas Station.

Magnetic Media began receiving reports of the shooting about 3:40 in the afternoon; a time when parents and school buses would have been along the roadway ferrying children from school and heading home from work, exposing them to possibly deadly harm.

To compound matters it occurred in Wheeland, the most populous community in The Turks and Caicos. And in the hours after the murder MM received continuous reports of gunfire in and around the area.

Wheeland MP, Kyle Knowles, advised his constituents to avoid the area completely, he said.

“We’ve recently been advised that an incident has occurred in the vicinity of the Grant’s Gas Station on the Millennium Highway. — Kindly note that access to the area is currently restricted for safety purposes and will be restored once the matter has been dealt with.”

The victim, a young man, said to be a Jamaican, was seemingly shot in the head multiple times by the side of the road late afternoon.

Traffic had to be diverted as Police officers cordoned off the bloody scene. It was no less graphic or heartbreaking the 17th time around.

Horrific photos of the murdered man were being circulated on social media; they showed the young man face down with two visible wounds to the back of the head, his back turned to whoever took him down.

The police report said:  Though reports remain limited at this time, preliminary information state  at 2.57 pm today (September 13th, 2022) , multiple calls were placed to the Police Control Room of gunshots in the vicinity of Grant’s Gas Station along the Millennium Highway.

Based on additional information received, a male body with gunshot wounds to the head was lying motionless close to the Station’s Store.

Acting on the information received, officers were dispatched to the location where they observed the lifeless body of a male with gunshot wounds to the head.

Additionally, the  RTCIPF has become aware that photographs from this  murder scene are being circulated via chat groups and social media platforms.

You are asked to desist from this immediately.

The perpetrators of these acts seem to have no regard for time, place or innocence and the police have failed to decisively show that they are able to keep the situation under control.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man gunned down near school is 27 year old TCI-Bahamian

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton & Dana Malcolm

Editorial Team

 

#TurksandCaicos, September 18, 2022 – There have been no arrests, no leads reports in the heinous killing of 27-year-old Ellington Been Jr, murdered early September 8, mere days after a double, double homicide in Providenciales.

Been was the fifth murder in under a week.

Residents reported hearing a series of shots fired in the down town area; others shared that the swarm of police near the Blue Hills round about early that morning was indication that something very serious had happened.

Later, we would learn of the murder of young Been; shot in the head and left in a pool of his own blood.

The killing came two days after Premier Washington Misick lamented the constant ‘execution style’ killings of our young men.

Our newsroom was told  has been told that this time the murder happened near the vicinity of a school. The victim, according to police, was found near Leisure Hotel which is close to Shining Stars Preparatory school in Providenciales.

During the early hours of yesterday morning, I visited the scene of the most recent murder on the Turks and Caicos Islands. A 27-year-old man, who has been identified as Ellington Been was shot dead outside his home on Academy Way Providenciales. It is believed that Mr. Been was killed by three men who shot him multiple times in a cowardly and savage manner. It is clear that high powered assault firearms were used in this attack. An attack that we believe is connected to the ongoing violence in Five Cays.

Having spoken with Mr. Been’s family at the scene, I witnessed firsthand the utter devastation, grief, anguish and turmoil that this violence is causing and the despair at losing another young man’s life in such a terrible way.

I believe this most recent murder is fueled by revenge and retribution, a cycle of killing that needs to stop before more families are left in life long grief.

To this end, I am appealing for calm and restraint from those involved; I am appealing to the friends and families of the young men involved to do all you can to persuade them to step back from these illegal activities that have led to violence; violence that will perpetuate more killing and heartache,” said Trevor Botting, Commissioner of Police.

The islands are on edge, unable to relax or mourn in peace as the violence ramps up instead of dying down.

Frustration and fear are constant companions residents have told Magnetic Media. Some have temporarily left their homes behind, electing to take their children and sleep with friends or relatives outside of the community. Others are desperate but have no place to go.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING