Connect with us

News

Bold Theft; were Police really siding with the Crook?   

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton & Dana Malcolm

Editorial Staff

 

#TurksandCaicos, April 7, 2022 – The Professional Standards Team of the Royal TCI Police Force has opened an internal review of whether members of the Force carried out proper operating procedures in response to a robbery in progress report.

Police Commissioner, Trevor Botting in response to Magnetic Media questions confirmed that a complaint from a homeowner has, “raised concerns with how the matter has been handled and our professional standards team is looking into the issue.”

The matter about which the Commissioner is responding involves a homeowner in eastern Providenciales who, on CCTV camera, caught two men ripping him off; they were about to make off with all of his plywood.

His alarm system triggered the alert and brought him to the scene where he was able to block in the white flatbed truck which was without plates and appeared to be unlicensed as Police, who had already been called, were on their way.

Those CCTV cameras were installed after the man suffered a previous robbery. He could not prevent the escape of one of the suspects but the other, the truck driver, remained at the scene.

The Police arrived and the homeowner thought the incident would be wrapped up, a straight forward open and shut case, but he was sadly mistaken.

After one suspect ran off into bushes and got away, the driver who stayed behind made repeated requests that his truck be released to him.

The man, who had also issued the CCTV video to the Commissioner of Police explained to Magnetic Media that he lost confidence when the responding officers seemed to side with the ‘thieving’ driver of the truck.

Police said, according to the complainant, the man was merely the driver and should get his truck.

The CCTV video clearly shows two men brazenly loading, sheet by sheet, the plywood from a stack in the yard to the bed of the truck.

The home owner, who told us about the ordeal on Friday April 1, explained he had to remind Police about the video which clearly showed the driver was an accomplice and co-conspirator.

What would follow would be more missteps by Police including showing up late to take the homeowner’s statement at the Grace Bay police station and despite being warned, entering his homeowners property without his permission in another attempt to extract the truck

While they claimed it would make up evidence, the man demanded a court order and said he discovered that at the time, the CID was not even aware of the matter.

For the homeowner his other concerns were that the police seemed to be in league with the thief, that according to him the criminal investigation department was not more immediately alerted to the brazen theft and that officers easily ignored his right to privacy presenting no court order to remove evidence in an attempted theft caught on camera.

Additionally, at least one Police officer when asked by Pastor Pedro Williams, who was called to the troubling scene when an unauthorized wrecker was trying to pull the criminal’s truck out of the victim’s yard, was curt and disrespectful toward the well-known church leader.

“This is a story that needs to be brought to the public.  Not for me but for the public because the public needs to understand their rights. We need to understand when the police are overstepping their boundaries. If it was someone else, this situation would have gone differently because people see the uniform and a badge and they run scared.”

The homeowner is also calling upon Police to initiative an information campaign to make citizens more aware of their rights; detailing how Members of the Royal TCI Police are supposed to act and what they are allowed to do when tending to a crime scene.

“I am not out to say shame the Police I just want people to understand this is your right, you have authority…”

The Commissioner, in that reply to Magnetic Media informed there has been an arrest in the case.

The Police should go another step further and make this individual known to the general public by exposing his identify upon formal arraignment.

According to the homeowner who shared his story, due to the massive increase in the cost of building materials, theft of supplies has spiked and is plaguing his Community.

Bahamas News

Over a Week Later, Bahamians Still Waiting on Full Election Numbers

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – More than a week after Bahamians voted in the country’s 2026 General Election, complete official constituency voting figures still have not been publicly released by the Parliamentary Registration Department.

While winners have been declared across the country’s expanded 41-seat Parliament, no centralized official breakdown showing constituency vote totals, turnout percentages, rejected ballots or margins of victory appears to have been published publicly.

The Progressive Liberal Party is widely reported to have secured 33 seats, while the Free National Movement won eight seats, according to tallies carried by several media houses, including the Nassau Guardian’s election tracker and other regional reports.

Still missing, however, are the underlying numbers which would allow the public to independently assess voter participation levels across the country’s 41 constituencies.

That absence is drawing increasing attention following an election already marked by concerns over long lines, advanced polling confusion, voter register complaints and questions about election administration.

Unofficial turnout estimates circulating in local media place national voter participation near 58 percent. If confirmed, that would represent the lowest voter turnout in modern Bahamian general election history.

Historically, The Bahamas has recorded strong election participation rates, with turnout often exceeding 80 percent in previous decades. But participation declined sharply in 2021, when official turnout fell to roughly 65 percent — at the time considered historically low.

Now, the Coalition of Independents says it plans to challenge aspects of the election process in Election Court and is escalating its criticism of the handling of the vote.

In a sharply worded statement issued to media, Coalition Leader Lincoln Bain announced the party will boycott the opening of Parliament, insisting the election was “flawed from start to finish.”

The Coalition claims the country cannot “celebrate ceremony while justice is ignored,” arguing that unresolved election concerns continue to hang over the legitimacy of the process.

Among the concerns raised by the COI are:

  • allegations of voter register irregularities;
  • claims that the voters register remained open after Parliament was dissolved;
  • accusations of vote buying;
  • concerns tied to the Pinewood constituency race;
  • alleged constitutional breaches involving undeclared government contracts;
  • and alleged conflicts of interest involving gaming operators serving in Cabinet.

The Coalition also referenced allegations surrounding criminal influence and drug-related claims connected to political operations, while calling for what it describes as a “serious local investigation.”

In its statement, the COI said there has been “no proper public accounting, no local investigation announced, and no Commission of Inquiry launched into these matters.”

The group is now demanding a formal Commission of Inquiry into the conduct of the election and related allegations.

Bain said the boycott of Parliament is “not a boycott of democracy” but instead “a stand in defence of democracy.”

The statement further argues that Parliament itself must be protected from “corruption, conflicts of interest, criminal influence, and electoral fraud.”

So far, election authorities have not publicly indicated when complete certified constituency voting figures will be formally released.

And that delay is becoming increasingly significant because the missing data includes the very numbers needed to understand whether Bahamians truly disengaged from the electoral process in record numbers.

If unofficial turnout estimates are accurate, it would mean voter participation in 2026 either matched or fell below the historically low 2021 election turnout — despite The Bahamas recording one of its largest voter registration totals ever, with more than 209,000 people listed to vote.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

News

Academy Eagles FC crowned Beaches Turks & Caicos sponsored Provo Men’s Premier League champions 2026  

Published

on

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands: — The Academy Eagles FC were crowned champions of the Beaches sponsored Men’s Provo Premier League after securing a comfortable 2-0 victory over defending champions, SWA Sharks, at the Venetian Road football field.

In a match that featured a mix of youth and experienced players, the Academy Eagles eventually broke through late in the game when Jean Innocent found the back of the net in the 77th minute. Innocent doubled the lead in the 95th minute from the penalty spot to clinch the championship.

Academy Eagles head coach Aaron Lawrence expressed immense pride in his squad’s performance. “I applaud the team for their discipline throughout the season and their ability to stick to the plan heading into this game,” Lawrence shared, adding special praise for team captain Myherwens Varis for “following tactical instructions throughout the game.”

“This victory would not have been possible without the thoughtful support from our main sponsor, Beaches Turks and Caicos resort. This is the second year running with this relationship. This has provided exposure for the semi-professional players and the Turks and Caicos Islands Football Association,” Lawrence noted.

On the opposing sideline, SWA Sharks coach Jack Watson was modest in defeat. While he noted that his team executed their strategy well, he recognized the Eagles’ determination. “I congratulate the Eagles team for wanting the win more,” Watson said. “We played to the game plan, but I fault a lapse in judgment that gave up two goals.”

Beaches Turks and Caicos, returning for a second year of sponsoring the competition, expressed ongoing dedication to youth football in the islands. General Manager Deryk Meany shared his enthusiasm, “I am satisfied with the impact that the league is having on youth development throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands and our resort’s involvement in fielding a team for the competition.” The final phase of the tournament now transitions to a knockout format among the eight participating clubs.

League executives also weighed in on the success of the season. Provo Premier League President, Phillip Baptiste, expressed his satisfaction with the league format and highlighted the significant progress made by the Turks and Caicos Islands Football Association (TCIFA) over the course of the tournament.

“This is what true success looks like as corporate partners like Beaches Turks and Caicos resort joins forces with the TCIFA in providing an avenue for youth development and sports. While we are happy for the continued sponsorship, we are anticipating more support from other entities. This is not only a win for sports, it is a win for development here in the TCI,” Baptiste shared.

TCIFA Technical Director Dane Ritchie echoed these positive sentiments, pointing to the league’s development as an avenue for showcasing local talent on a broader stage. “Our team continues to learn as they work on developing talents with the youth players, as well as providing a broader marketing avenue for the league to be seen internationally with FIFA+ streaming,” Ritchie said.

He added, “the TCIFA commends the growth of the coaching staff involved in the league and looks forward to further enhancing the competition to make them more competitive in the Caribbean leagues.”

Beaches FC and Cheshire Hall FC have both punched their tickets for the first two spots in the semifinals with a 2-0 win over Teachers’ Young Strikers and 5-0 thrashing of Provo United respectively in the first two quarter finals.

Continue Reading

News

Beaches Turks & Caicos celebrates Stars at its Annual Prestige Awards

Published

on

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands: — The French Village main stage at Beaches Turks and Caicos resort was transformed into a dazzling beacon of green and gold as the resort celebrated its highest achievers. Under the inspiring banner of “One Team, One Vision, Endless Achievements,” the annual Prestige Awards recently closed the chapter on an exceptional 2025.

More than 120 nominees across twelve distinct categories walked the red carpet, greeted by flashing cameras and the cheering of their peers. The evening was laced with vibrant entertainment that kept the energy high between award presentations. Attendees were also treated to an exquisite five-course menu, carefully curated to match the prestige of the occasion and celebrate the rich culinary talent present at the resort.

The event served as a powerful reminder of the dedication required to operate one of the premier family resorts in the Caribbean. General Manager Deryk Meany took the stage to address the audience while reflecting on a year of resilience, innovation and unparalleled guest service.

“This is a celebratory milestone that as leaders we are happy to share with the stars of the hospitality industry,” Meany shared. “You have shown the world the true mettle of leadership and commitment here at Beaches Turks and Caicos.”

To further recognize unique contributions to the resort’s operational success, Meany personally distributed the General Manager’s Special Awards. These honours were bestowed upon Eric ‘Cookie’ Johnson from the kitchen, Harriet Beeput from administration, and Javier Sarita from the entertainment department for their exceptional behind-the-scenes dedication.

The climax of the evening featured the announcement of the resort’s most prestigious overarching awards. Felipe Luzardo Neira from the kitchen took home the MVP of the Year (Manager of the Year) award, while Chad Peterkin from engineering and maintenance was named All-Rounder of the Year (Supervisor of the Year). The loyalty & travel department proved their collective strength by securing the A-Team of the Year title.

Individual team members were also recognized for their ultimate service standards. Deandra Astwood from the front office earned the Platinum Team Member of the Year award. The highest individual honour, Diamond Team Member of the Year, was awarded to Javain Campbell from the restaurant department. Campbell used his moment in the spotlight to highlight the importance of cross-departmental collaboration and community outreach.

“This accolade is a testament to the commitment and teamwork within all the departments of the resort,” Campbell noted after receiving his award. “The opportunity to volunteer at different Sandals Foundation activities as well as be a mentor to other team members means the world to me. This achievement will allow me to do more in leadership as I have been tasked with representing the entire team here at the resort.”

The Prestige Awards ensured that every facet of the resort’s operations received proper recognition. From environmental sustainability to guest entertainment, the specific category winners showcased a wide array of talents:

  • Movers & Shakers was awarded to Katherine ‘Tinkerbell’ Jiminez from the entertainment department
  • Legendary Team Member was secured by Kadian Smith from the restaurant
  • Circle of Joy went to Emanie Jocelyn Seide from security and loss prevention
  • Earth Guardian was claimed by Bernard Florvil from engineering and maintenance
  • Sandals Foundation Sentinel was awarded to Tanya Swann from administration
  • Standing Ovation Award was proudly accepted by Richard Myers from the laundry team
  • Money Maker Award went to Teesha McCallum-Hamilton from the resort shop
  • Heart of the House Hotel Manager’s Award was presented to Carlton Biggs from stewarding department
  • People’s Choice Award was won by Claire Ann Balones from the off site department
  • Pacesetter Award was given to Kassandra Henry from accounts & cost control
  • Founder’s Circle Award was claimed by Susan Outten from the restaurant

As the night drew to a close, the focus shifted to the rigorous selection process that led to the evening’s celebrations. The Prestige Awards do not merely look at a single moment of excellence, but rather evaluate a full twelve months of unwavering dedication to the guest experience. Human Resources Manager Owenta Coleby highlighted the rewarding journey these team members took to reach the main stage.

“This event is a culmination of a number of activities for the resort’s leadership and the team members who have been exemplary and consistent throughout the year,” Coleby shared. “Congratulations are in order for each nominee as they have been crowned winners for the different months of 2025.”

With the trophies distributed and the 2025 season officially wrapped, the staff at Beaches Turks and Caicos now look forward. Fueled by the “One Team, One Vision” mantra, these award winners are already setting the standard for another year of endless achievements.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING