Connect with us

Health

Johnson & Johnson stop production of Covid-19 vaccine; what it may signal

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

February 16, 2022 – Johnson & Johnson has officially halted production at all of its Covid-19 vaccine producing facilities; this comes after last week’s announcement that some production would be stopped for the pharmaceutical company to shift focus to a new vaccine, unrelated to Covid-19.

The move comes as vaccination drives slow in higher income countries especially those in Europe and they begin to cancel Covid-19 restrictions.

Johnson & Johnson said, “We strive to improve human health and have worked tirelessly to … build a global manufacturing network across four continents to produce our COVID-19 vaccine. Our manufacturing sites produce multiple products as we have an obligation to supply life changing medicines to patients around the world and bring forward our innovative pipeline of new medicines and vaccines. We manage our production planning accordingly and are currently supplying from our extensive global network based on the demand for our vaccine and the needs of our patients and customers.”

The pharmaceutical company announced on February 8 that the plant would cease COVID19 operations temporarily to work on another vaccine for a different virus The New York Times reports.

The move prompted immediate fears from organizations like COVAX  and the African Union which depends on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to meet their quotas and distribute the vaccines to poorer countries worldwide.

Despite the controversy surrounding the vaccine and its effects in relation to blood clotting Johnson & Johnson has been one of the most distributed brands in the world.

The company has said that they supply based on the needs of patients and customers but only 54 per cent of the world has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 so far. Notable is the staggering unevenness of the vaccination: only 11 per cent of the population has received one dose of a vaccine in low income countries.  Conversely, high income countries have successfully vaccinated over 78 per cent of their populations.

Johnson & Johnson is currently in use in 82 different countries worldwide.

This begs the question of why Johnson & Johnson is stopping production when there are so many persons in lower income countries especially still depending on its vaccine

The NY Times also reports that neither COVAX or The African Union were informed of the decision by Johnson & Johnson beforehand.

The African Union said, “This is not the time to be switching production lines of anything, when the lives of people across the developing world hang in the balance.”

COVAX expressed similar sentiments. They said that Johnson & Johnson had already let them down in 2021 and they couldn’t of the word to be let down in 2022.

In response J&J said “We are focused on ensuring our vaccine is available where people are in need, and we continue to fulfill our contractual obligations in relation to the COVAX Facility and the African Union, we currently have millions of doses of our COVID-19 vaccine in inventory.”

Johnson & Johnson struggled with vaccines expiring before they were able to be used early in production. The FDA extended the expiry dates in July last year from the initial four and a half months.

The vaccines currently have a shelf life of six months.

Health

Grand Turk Residents Fear Norovirus-Linked Cruise as Health Ministry Approves Docking

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 22, 2026 – Residents in Grand Turk raised concerns last week after a cruise ship previously linked to a major norovirus outbreak was cleared to dock in the Turks and Caicos Islands days after passengers were reportedly denied disembarkation in The Bahamas over health fears.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the outbreak sickened 115 people — including 102 passengers and 13 crew members — during a voyage which ran from April 28 to May 11. The illnesses involved symptoms commonly associated with norovirus, including vomiting and diarrhea.

The outbreak became public on May 7 and quickly triggered concern across the region.

Authorities in Nassau reportedly refused to allow passengers off the vessel because of public health concerns connected to the outbreak.

That decision later fueled anxiety among some Turks and Caicos residents when the ship proceeded to Grand Turk on May 15.

Residents’ concerns were not without cause.

Norovirus is a highly contagious viral illness often associated with cruise ships, hotels, schools and other environments where large groups of people share close quarters. The virus primarily causes sudden vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and nausea, and spreads rapidly through contaminated food, water, surfaces and person-to-person contact.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most healthy people recover within one to three days, but norovirus can become serious — and occasionally fatal — for elderly individuals, young children and people with weakened immune systems because of severe dehydration. While the overall fatality rate is considered very low, the CDC estimates norovirus contributes to hundreds of deaths annually in the United States, mainly among vulnerable populations.

The Turks and Caicos Ministry of Health and Human Services had said in a press statement on May 15, it believed the risks had been effectively neutralized before the vessel arrived in Grand Turk.

In a statement issued Thursday, the Ministry said the ship had already returned to Florida, where passengers disembarked and “comprehensive sanitization and deep-cleaning procedures were completed” before operations resumed.

The Ministry also stressed that its Public Health Team maintained “close and continuous communication” with the ship’s medical personnel, Carnival Cruise Line officials and stakeholders at the Grand Turk Cruise Centre before approving the docking.

Routine inspections and standard port health procedures were also carried out, according to officials.

The Ministry further reassured the public that there were “currently no public health concerns” associated with the vessel’s arrival.

Still, the situation once again highlighted the delicate balancing act Caribbean nations face between protecting public health and sustaining tourism economies heavily dependent on cruise arrivals.

Officials are now encouraging vendors, taxi operators, tour companies and businesses to continue practicing strong sanitation and hygiene measures as an added precaution.

Residents were also reminded that frequent handwashing remains one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of norovirus and other infectious illnesses.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Health

29 Million Strong, the World Salutes Nurses as International Nurses Day is Observed

Published

on

On Tuesday May 12, the world pauses to honor one of humanity’s most trusted, exhausted, resilient and indispensable professions — nursing.

International Nurses Day is observed annually on the birthday of Florence Nightingale, widely regarded as the founder of modern nursing, and comes at a time when global healthcare systems continue to rely heavily on nurses carrying extraordinary emotional, physical and professional burdens.

According to the World Health Organization, there are an estimated 29 million nurses worldwide, making nursing the largest professional group within the global healthcare workforce. Yet despite their numbers, many countries continue to face severe nursing shortages, burnout crises and migration challenges as healthcare demands rise faster than staffing levels.

Still, nurses remain the heartbeat of healthcare.

They are present at life’s first breath and often its final moments. They work through hurricanes, pandemics, emergencies and violence. They calm fear, interpret pain, comfort families and frequently become the bridge between doctors, patients and hope itself.

In small island nations like those across the Caribbean, nurses often carry even greater responsibility — serving communities where resources may be stretched, specialists limited and healthcare systems under constant pressure.

This year’s observance again shines a spotlight not only on the compassion nurses bring to their profession, but also on the growing global call for better pay, safer working environments, improved mental health support and stronger investment in healthcare staffing.

For many people, the most memorable face in healthcare is not always the surgeon or specialist — it is the nurse who stayed a little longer, explained a little more gently or cared a little more deeply during a difficult moment.

Tomorrow’s observance is therefore more than ceremonial.

It is a reminder that behind every functioning hospital, clinic, emergency room, health center, operating theatre and recovery ward stands a nurse — often overworked, sometimes underappreciated, but consistently essential.

To nurses across The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, the Caribbean and the wider world: thank you for showing up, even on the hardest days.

Developed by Deandrea Hamilton • with ChatGPT (AI) • edited by Magnetic Media.

Continue Reading

Government

$94.1Mfor Health; Knowles Pushes to Keep Care at Home

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, April 25, 2026 – A major shift in how healthcare is delivered in the Turks and Caicos Islands is at the center of the Government’s latest budget, with a focus on reducing reliance on overseas treatment and strengthening services at home.

Presenting his contribution to the national debate, Kyle Knowles outlined a strategy aimed at building a more sustainable healthcare system—one that allows more residents to access quality care within the country.

The health sector has been allocated $94.1 million, making it one of the largest areas of public spending in the $550.8 million Budget passed on April 23.

Central to the Minister’s approach is a restructuring of the Treatment Abroad Programme (TAP), which has grown significantly in recent years as more patients are sent overseas for specialized care.

The Government now aims to reverse that trend.

“We are reforming healthcare to ensure long-term sustainability,” Knowles indicated, pointing to efforts to strengthen local services and reduce the need for travel.

The strategy includes improving healthcare infrastructure, expanding services available within the islands and increasing efficiency through the digitization of medical records.

Digitization is expected to support better coordination of care, reduce delays and allow for more accurate tracking of patient needs—part of a broader effort to modernize public services.

The Minister emphasized that the goal is not only cost control, but improved access.

“No family should have to leave home to get quality care,” he said, underscoring the Government’s intention to refocus healthcare delivery on local capacity.

The shift comes as rising healthcare costs continue to place pressure on public finances, with overseas treatment representing one of the most expensive components of the system.

By investing more heavily in domestic services, the Government is seeking to reduce that burden while improving outcomes for residents.

While the direction is clear, details on timelines and the pace of expansion for local services were not fully outlined in the presentation.

Still, the emphasis on sustainability, access and modernization signals a strategic pivot in how healthcare is expected to evolve in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING