Connect with us

Health

Breakthrough cases from abroad lead local spike, still Vaxxed Residents get a pass on testing before coming Home

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

Editor

 

#TurksandCaicos, December 31, 2021 – Most of the active Covid-19 cases recorded in December in the Turks and Caicos are tourists, who are also fully vaccinated; this means they are breakthrough infections.  Still the Turks and Caicos Islands Government in its new raft of entry requirements has stopped short of ensuring everyone who enters or re-enters the territory is negative for the coronavirus, by exempting residents and citizens who are fully vaccinated from a process, it maintains keeps the nation safe.

“Remember though, the visitors are testing far more than we are, since for many a negative test or proof of recovery is a requirement for travel.  It could be, that we are finding more in this group, only because we are looking more in this group.  The truth is, it is difficult for us to know exactly what is happening within our residential population because we are not testing.  So far, only 90 tests have been conducted in December through the community outreach programme.

Testing as many people as possible is another strategy we can use in the fight against Covid-19,” said the Dr. Shandey Malcolm, National Epidemiologist during a national health update on Thursday December 30.

Though government states testing is a strategy, the need for it excludes the returning resident who is vaccinated; begging the question why is this demographic omitted from the essential screening.

The Premier, when he addressed the nation in the health update explained that vaccinated residents, because they have taken the vaccine, get preferential treatment which allows them to return home positive for COVID or not.

Jamell Robinson, TCI’s Health Minister said government is still weighing the benefit and risk of not testing all returning residents.

“We’re monitoring, watch the numbers, watch the hospitalisations, see how things are going, seeing how our resources are being deployed… we’ve decided at this point, December 30th that that’s not the route we are going at this point.  But if we deem it is absolutely necessary to make that call, we will.  But again, we are still doing some more research, and getting some more data to back up how much more we’re going to benefit from going that route.”

What is clear is the dwindled efficacy of vaccines caused by both the Delta and Omicron strains of the Coronavirus has increasingly materialized breakthrough infections, which has resulted in countries around the world requiring full vaccination or quality testing and upon entry or re-entry.

As it stands now, guests who test positive for Covid-19 must remain in Turks and Caicos until they can prove full recovery from the coronavirus.

According to Dr. Malcolm, 63 per cent of the 184 cases recorded up to December 30th in the Turks and Caicos were among vaccinated guests to the country.  The positives for Covid-19 were picked up when the visitors were taking Rapid Antigen Tests, a mandatory requirement for re-entry to their homeland.

However, Turks and Caicos is headed into a fourth month where vaccinated residents of the islands do not have to test prior to returning home, even though the likelihood of exposure is high.

On December 24th, 41 new Covid-19 cases were detected in Turks and Caicos, highest figure in 10-months.  At this time, the National Public Health Laboratory is functioning at a significantly slower pace due to equipment failure, said a Ministry of Health notice.

Record setting numbers are also charted in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom; popular haunts for Turks and Caicos Islanders.    The new rule, announced by Minister Robinson tightens measures for Tourists and Non-Vaccinated residents only.  It requires a negative test result for everyone travelling who is two years old and over.  The regulation takes effect January 14, 2022.

This altered travel entry requirement increases the cost and stress of travel for those who fall into the category, because more tests will be required per group.  The PCR test is also more expensive and has a longer processing period. The change also comes at a time when there is increased pressure on testing centers in source tourism markets, with the “tsunami” of infections due to the Omicron variant of the disease.

The rule has no impact on the vaccinated citizen or resident however, who despite having had to test in order to exit the TCI into hotspot cities and countries which are overrun with the Omicron and Delta variants, can come home infected or not, because no one would know, especially if they are asymptomatic.

“You will notice subliminally that those persons who have not been vaccinated, Turks and Caicos Islanders who go abroad will be required a test before they come back home. If you are vaccinated and ‘boosterised’ you will not be prepared to take that test. For those persons who are not vaccinated, you are still required to be quarantined for fourteen days,” said the Premier who pointed to the rewards for being vaccinated and the penalties or stiffer regulations which kick in, once you’re not.

“People who have followed the protocol and who have been vaccinated, who’ve responded to the appeal to be vaccinated we don’t want to put additional burden on them, inconvenience them, and cause them money in the likelihood they may be positive then it’s a tremendous level of expense for them to have to be quarantined or remain in a foreign country.”

This scenario is sympathetic only to the vaccinated resident and desserts the unvaccinated resident and citizen, because they have opted not to be vaccinated for the coronavirus.

The rule also makes Turks and Caicos Islands, one of the only places in the world where a negative for COVID is not required from everyone entering the borders and so far, the TCI Government is okay with this blazing disparity of rules, which is a significant danger to public health.

A change in the inequitable rule is not off the table.  But the Government is taking a gamble with public health and admittedly feels a need to reward those who have taken the vaccine and penalize or alienate those who have not.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

Health

47,459 MEASLES CASES, 44 DEATHS ACROSS AMERICAS  

Published

on

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Americas has recorded 47,459 confirmed measles cases and 44 deaths in 2026, the region’s highest case count in 22 years, prompting the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) to urge stronger vaccination, surveillance and rapid outbreak response.

As of July 18, cases were already more than triple the 15,011 recorded during all of 2025. Guatemala, Mexico, the United States and Peru account for 95% of confirmed cases. Guatemala leads with 30,371 cases and 26 deaths, followed by Mexico with 12,255 cases and 17 deaths.

PAHO classifies the regional public health risk as very high, citing active outbreaks, immunity gaps, international travel and populations with inadequate vaccination coverage.

The organization says prevention starts with vaccination. Countries are being urged to achieve and maintain at least 95% coverage with two doses of measles-containing vaccine, particularly protecting children and under-vaccinated communities.

Measles spreads through the air when an infected person breathes, coughs or sneezes. Symptoms can include fever, cough, runny nose, red eyes and a rash.

PAHO is urging health authorities to detect suspected cases early and respond rapidly to stop transmission. Unvaccinated and under-vaccinated people, young children and communities with limited healthcare access face increased risk of severe illness and death.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

From Pathways to Investment: Tackling the US $6 Billion Food Challenge for the Caribbean

Published

on

By Kenroy Roach

The Caribbean’s food systems challenge is fast evolving into a broader development challenge.

Despite decades of policy attention and investment, the region remains one of the most food import-dependent in the world, spending over US$6 billion annually. At the same time, countries continue to grapple with food insecurity, high rates of diet-related non-communicable diseases, climate vulnerability, and exposure to external shocks that can disrupt supply chains and drive up food prices almost overnight.

For Small Island Developing States (SIDS), food security has shifted from an agriculture focus alone, it’s about economic resilience, health, climate resilience and sustainable growth.

Recognizing this reality, Caribbean governments have elevated food systems transformation as a regional priority through the CARICOM 25 x 25 Plus Five Agenda, which seeks to reduce food import dependence while strengthening domestic production, regional trade, and resilience. Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, governments have also developed National Food Systems Pathways that identify the investments, partnerships, and policy reforms needed to transform food systems and accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Yet one challenge has remained persistent: financing.

In the face of high levels of public debt and limited fiscal space, while public investment remains critical, Caribbean governments simply cannot shoulder the financing burden alone. Transforming food systems at scale requires mobilizing far greater private capital, alongside development finance and public resources.

This was the rationale behind the recent convened in Barbados.

The Forum brought together governments, investors, international financial institutions, private sector leaders, regional organizations, and the United Nations around a simple proposition: food systems should be viewed not only as a development priority, but also as an investable asset class.

A distinguishing feature of the innovative gathering was its focus on attracting private investment—particularly private equity, impact investment, and blended finance solutions capable of supporting businesses and infrastructure across food value chains. By helping enterprises access growth capital and connecting investors with scalable opportunities, the initiative sought to unlock financing that complements public investment rather than adding to already constrained public balance sheets.

A key outcome was the launch of a regional Deal Book comprising approximately US$320 million in investment opportunities across seven countries, spanning agriculture, fisheries, agro-processing, logistics, and strategic food systems infrastructure. The Deal Book created a practical bridge between capital seeking opportunities and opportunities seeking capital, while enabling direct engagement between governments, enterprises, and investors.

The results were encouraging.

Across four sector-focused deal rooms, participants explored investment-ready and near-investment-ready opportunities and discussed blended finance private equity, risk-sharing, and partnerships to advance projects toward implementation.

The Forum highlighted a shift in perspective: food systems are now seen as strategic drivers of economic diversification, resilience, competitiveness, and growth. Investments across production, processing, logistics, and distribution can strengthen regional supply chains, create new businesses, generate jobs, and reduce vulnerability to external shocks.

For the United Nations, this experience reinforced an important lesson.

Transforming food systems requires more than the technical expertise of individual agencies. It requires integrated solutions that connect agriculture, nutrition, health, climate resilience, trade, private sector development, and financing.

This is where the Resident Coordinator System plays a critical role.

Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, the Resident Coordinator Office has united UN system capabilities around a common food systems agenda. Working with FAO, WFP, the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub, and other partners, the RCO has helped align policy support, technical expertise, partnerships, and financing with nationally identified priorities.

The Forum demonstrated this integrated approach by convening governments, investors, development finance institutions, private sector actors, and UN agencies around a common objective. It showcased the UN’s comparative advantage as a trusted broker capable of connecting development priorities with investment opportunities.

The Forum’s success will be measured not by dialogue generated, but by investments mobilized, businesses expanded, and progress made toward resilient, competitive Caribbean food systems across the Caribbean.

Its most important outcome may therefore be what comes next.

The work starts now.

Kenroy Roach is Head of the UN Resident Coordinator Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING