We had hoped at least 323 people would have participated in Magnetic Media’s impromptu survey; a public-fuelled evaluation of the new government and its performance so far. Five per cent of the voters who turned out at the polls on February 19 would have been a decent-sized sample, we believe, of the performance of the Washington Misick-led PNP Government.
Next time, in 200 days, we will give our audiences an anonymous option.
Nonetheless, our first-time poll attracted 134 participants, the majority of whom were women but just slightly. Sixty-four men and 70 women returned a letter grade ranging from ‘A’ for Excellent to ‘D’ for Disappointment.
Most of those who responded to the survey gave the now 108-day old government a ‘B’ grade for ‘Very Good’. There were no ‘F’ grades lodged for the Progressive National Party administration.
These were the results of the poll carried out on WhatsApp over two days from May 28 to May 30:
There were 128 people who gave the PNP Government an ‘A’ grade; 156 people returned a ‘B’ grade; 72 participants gave a ‘C’ grade for an ‘okay’ performance so far and 14 say they are ‘Disappointed’ and returned a ‘D’ grade.
It gave the PNP a 2.76 GPA or a C+ performance.
The sizing up of the Progressive National Party’s performance after an avalanche of a victory at the national polls, has been a topic of discussions since the party hit its 50th day in office. The Premier at that time offered his thoughts on his team’s performance. Soon after the 100th day in office, marked on May 30th, the Premier was talking about two rating; his Government’s and the economy’s.
“It is with great pleasure, that we can say to you today, for those of you who may not have seen it, or read it or be aware of it that Turks and Caicos Islands has been able to retain and improve on its credit rating,” said the Premier, adding, “We have retained our BBB+ Credit Rating (from Standard & Poor’s) with a Positive Outlook.”
The Premier said the visiting team from Standard & Poor’s found that “investors, tourists and the local business community have confidence in this Government and in the Turks and Caicos Islands. And that is something that I am happy to take credit for,” explained the Premier in a Press Conference held at his Providenciales Office on Wednesday June 2, 2021.
“I was juggling between a B and a C but I will give them a B at this stage. Mainly because within their first 100 days in office, I believe they have addressed (though not completed) some very serious issued affecting Turks and Caicos Islanders. Eg, the one-time stimulus that was made easily accessible, the effort to address the overflow of work permit and employment opportunities for TC Islanders and the workshops for local contractors with a view to giving all an equal opportunity to be on Government Jobs; also the reinstatement of pension for Civil Servants,” said a female participant of the Survey, who agreed to us sharing her comments.
She was also forthcoming with comments from members of the public.
“Based on feedback and my own personal experience as to their failure to acknowledge or respond to communication from citizens, I would give them a D. I didn’t give them an F because I’m sure they respond to some, given the nature of the correspondence, I don’t think they accept criticisms well… EJ has proven that on many occasions.”
The woman, who is a prominent and influential Turks and Caicos Islander added: “I’ll also give them a D on the Vaccine Drive. Mainly because they are misleading the public on information given, eg, that the vaccine is the reason the numbers have dropped, that the vaccine will protect you from the virus.”
More men believe the PNP deserved an ‘A’ grade; 22 males and 10 females describe the government’s performance as ‘Excellent’.
More women believe the PNP deserves a ‘B’ grade; 28 females and 24 males support that the Turks and Caicos currently has a ‘Very Good’ government.
Women outnumbered the men in the C grade category; 24 females to 12 males for the ‘Okay’ performance.
However, weighing down the final grade would have been the number of disappointed residents. Eight women and six men gave the ‘D’ grade.
“It’s very soon in their administration. I will give a ‘D’. I am not amused at how they are handling the Covid testing. I know the numbers are more than they are saying. Jay needs to be more transparent with us.”
Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.
Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.
According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.
The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.
Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.
However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.
The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.
[New York, NY – August 20, 2026] – BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter. The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.
The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area. This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027. Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.
The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.
Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.
While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.
Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.
Expanded Winter Season
To South Caicos:
Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
To Turks and Caicos:
Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.
“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”
The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry. All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.
“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”
For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com
NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.
The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium. Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.
During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.
During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.
CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.
Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.
“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.
Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.
They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.
After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.
“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.
For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.