Connect with us

Bahamas News

RBDF joins Abaco community in Tribute to Victims of Hurricane Dorian

Published

on

Defence Headquarters, 01 SEPT. ‘20 (RBDF):  Several members of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force were on the island of Abaco when Hurricane Dorian struck exactly a year ago today. It was therefore quite fitting for those stationed there to join in a community effort today with the residents of Marsh Harbour in remembrance of the lives lost during the ordeal last year.     

Provided by Royal Bahamas Defence Force

Held on the junction of Queen’s Highway and Bay Street, this occasion was in observance of the one-year anniversary of the passing of the destructive hurricane. This tragic event left a gaping hole in the hearts and minds of many Bahamians, and in particular Abaconians. Described as one of the saddest days in Abaco’s history, a bystander shared her very vivid recollection of the storm.   

“One year ago, almost exactly around this time, most of the houses were already gone. Just about everyone was underwater. Around 1 or 2 pm was about the time the eye came, and those who were still alive tried to find shelter somewhere else.”    


Provided by Royal Bahamas Defence Force

At the event, a small area was set up to invite members of the community to offer flowers in memory of those lost during the storm. The RBDF team in attendance served as the Colour Party at the event and a symbol of the security of the small island, even in the midst of the resilient citizens. The resident who chose to remain anonymous explained the purpose of the community showing.    

“It’s a day to stop, think, pray, memorialize [those lost] and a day to see our friends. We may not be able to hug, touch or gather because of COVID-19, but we can see each other’s eyes and come together. This is really a celebration for Central Abaco.”    

This occasion also served as a quick drive-through for individuals who wished to simply stop their vehicles and place a flower or something tangible on the site in respect of the occasion.   


Provided by Royal Bahamas Defence Force

Lieutenant Commander Andrew Bowe, Executive Officer for the RBDF Northern Command expressed that the organization remains committed to the residents of Abaco in particular, who were hardest hit during the hurricane.    

The Royal Bahamas Defence Force remains committed to its mandate and will continue to serve not in only in the communities in which it is stationed, but the entire commonwealth of The Bahamas.


Provided by Royal Bahamas Defence Force

(RBDF Photos by Able Seaman Michael Turner II)

Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.

Bahamas News

National Food Policy to be created in the Bahamas

Published

on

By Shanieka Smith

Staff Writer

 

 

#TheBahamas, February 2, 2023 – A new initiative by the Ministry of Agriculture, Marine Resources and Family Island Affairs in the Bahamas will see the creation of a National Food Policy geared towards ensuring food security on the island.

“This agricultural policy would encompass a holistic approach and incorporate regulations, legislation, and other aspects to assist the farmers who have not really gotten the attention they deserve for a long time,” said the Minister of Agriculture, Marine Resources and Family Island Affairs, Hon. Clay Sweeting.

Other initiatives within the agriculture sector will also be implemented, such as the digitalization of applications and forms, which will make farming more efficient.

Clay said, “we have already digitalized for the most part the Department of Marine Resources and soon we will unveil new services such as dog licences, import permits, and other services needed for a successful agricultural sector.”

The construction of the Cultivation Centres (TCC) in Eleuthera and New Providence with produce exchange, food processing kitchens and farm stores will continue.

Sweeting said he hopes these initiatives will help to decrease the country’s yearly $1 billion food import bill.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Consumer protection, 85 businesses to be put under watch 

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm 

Staff Writer

 

 

February 2, 2023 – Grocery stores and dozens of other businesses will be under the microscope soon as the government begins aggressively enforcing the Consumer Protection Ordinance passed back in 2016 with an all-new Compliance and Regulatory Enforcement (C.A.R.E) Drive.

Carried out by the Department of Trade, Industry, and Fair Competition the drive aims to “actively educate providers whilst enforcing the main provisions to protect consumers under the Consumer Protection Ordinance,” a press release explained.

Firstly, Consumer Officers charged with protecting the people of the TCI from unfair business practices will be assessing the prices of selected breadbasket items in 23 different stores countrywide each month to see whether price gouging is being carried out by businesses.

Breadbasket items are currently duty-free under the Food and Fuel Tax Break until the end of the financial year in March and all savings from those tax exemptions should be passed on directly to the consumer. After each assessment, which will continue for several months at least a monthly price report will be published on the Department of Trade’s website.

In addition, the Consumer Officers will be monitoring other business activities across the country “to ensure that providers are compliant with their duties to consumers.”

Those responsibilities include:

  • Giving customers certain basic information about goods and services being sold;
  •  Informing consumers about terms and conditions before any payment is made (e.g., warranties, refunds, returns, exchanges, etc.) and;
  • Abstaining from misleading and deceptive conduct, false representation and unfair business practices.

The government says they will reach at least 85 businesses with the C.A.R.E. Drive but they did not indicate the process behind how these businesses had been singled out. Non-compliant ones will be fined after a thorough investigation and warnings are issued by the Department of Trade.

With this in mind, business owners are being encouraged to familiarize themselves with their duties under the Ordinance lest they be caught in breach. The government did not say what entities would be assessed and whether that included major retail grocery stores, gasoline dealers, water companies, electricity providers, telecommunications companies and other essential providers of the services that all islanders spend on.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

74 Foreign Nationals Convicted in The Magistrate’s Court

Published

on

#TheBahamas, February 2, 2023 – In Magistrate’s Court #1 today, seventy-two (72) foreign nationals were arraigned before Magistrate Algernon Allen Jr. for various immigration offenses.

Thirty-two (32) Cuban nationals were convicted of Illegal Landing. Two (2) of them were subsequently sentenced to four months in the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services (BDOCS). Thirty (30) were conditionally discharged and released to the Department of Immigration to be deported.

A total of forty (40) Haitian nationals were convicted of Illegal Landing. Two (2) received custodial sentences of three months at BDOCS, and thirty-seven (37) were conditionally discharged and released to the Department to be deported. In addition to the charge of Illegal Landing, one (1) Haitian man was also convicted of Knowingly Attempting to Misleading an Immigration Officer and subsequently sentenced to six months at BDOCS on each count. The sentences are to run concurrently.

Three (3) Haitian nationals were also charged with Overstaying. Two (2) pleaded guilty and were convicted. Respectively they were fined $2,000.00 or, in default of payment, served six months at BDOCS, conditionally discharged, and deported. One (1) Haitian female pleaded not guilty, and the matter was adjourned to a later date. Upon payment of fines, completion of sentences, and discharge, all persons were ordered to be turned over to the Department of Immigration for deportation.

The Department remains committed to executing our mandate to ensure compliance with the Statue Laws of our country.

For more information, call the Public Relations Unit at 1-242-322-7530, visit our website at www.immigration.gov.bs, or call our Investigation hotline anonymously, at 1-242-604-0249.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING