#Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands (Wednesday, February 5, 2020) – FortisTCI and the Turks and Caicos Islands Football Association (TCIFA) announced this week, a three-year partnership to further develop youth football across the country. This partnership also facilities a restructuring that will see the introduction of an Elite Youth Football League featuring six Under-14 boys’ teams comprising three teams in Provo and one team each in Grand Turk, North Caicos, and South Caicos. Games will be played on Saturdays in Provo between April 25 and May 30, 2020.
This three-year partnership continues FortisTCI’s sponsorship of the first competitive youth football leagues across the Turks and Caicos Islands, which the company signed on to in 2017. The FortisTCI Youth Football League began in Providenciales in that year with over 282 players aged nine to 13 years, and in 2018 expanded to Grand Turk, South Caicos and North Caicos. Over three seasons, the league experienced significant growth, with the number of players almost doubling. Growth was also seen in the number of games played over each season, bringing the youth leagues close to the minimum number of competitive games stipulated by FIFA, the governing body of world football.
For the 2020 season, the FortisTCI Youth Football League will feature co-ed teams of Under-10 and Under-12 players. The league will commence on May 18 and end on June 26, with games played across the islands of Provo, Grand Turk, North Caicos, and South Caicos.
FortisTCI’s sponsorship goes beyond financial contributions. Through staff volunteerism, the company will also maintain its weekly fruit and water stand for players on game days, in all islands, to provide nutritional support. FortisTCI employees look forward to supporting and encouraging the players in this way.
TCIFA President Sonia Fulford-Missick said, “Once again, the TCIFA extends massive gratitude to our Diamond Sponsor FortisTCI. The relationship between TCIFA and FortisTCI has resulted in the growth of the grassroots and youth programmes and the quality of the players. The continuance of this relationship allows us to launch an Elite League that will provide regular competitive games for our highly skilled youth players across the islands. This inclusive approach is as a result of FortisTCI’s commitment and dedication to the development of football in the Turks and Caicos Islands.”
FortisTCI President and CEO said, “FortisTCI is pleased to again work with the TCIFA, which continues to demonstrate its commitment to youth football development in the positive way it administers the league, and in the strong relationship we have enjoyed over the last three years. Our support of youth football is in keeping with our corporate social responsibility focused on education, youth sports, heritage and culture, health and wellness, and the environment. We know that the 2020 season promises to be another exciting encounter and we value being a part of the growth and development of youth football in these islands.”
FORTISTCI PRESS RELEASE
PRESS STATEMENT: MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
#TurksandCaicos, January 27, 2023 – The Ministry responsible for Education confirms that a recent report of alleged sexual abuse was brought to the attention of authorities at a particular school. For the protection of the child, we will not divulge details of this matter. We do acknowledge that there were issues experienced which resulted in less than appropriate response to the incident.
The Ministry is continuing its investigation of the incident, in its totality and has since requested a comprehensive report on the response from all involved. Several meetings, visits and discussions were held. The key is to ensure that the minor involved is afforded additional counselling and care and that other students within the institution are also afforded the relevant support needed. The Student Support Services has been active in coordinating this response which is currently in operation.
As an immediate further action, the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) entities will convene and existing protocols will be reviewed and investigations conducted to determine the consistency of the response, exactly where the established protocols were not followed and the subsequent actions to be taken.
The Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Social Services considers its responsibility for the Safeguarding of children of utmost importance. In so doing, the Ministry of Education has instituted a number of measures over the years to ensure that allegations of abuse to children in schools are treated with urgency. The creation of the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) was created to ensure that teachers, leaders, Social Workers, and Police can respond to allegations with the child’s safety and protection as the core consideration. Child safeguarding remains the Ministry’s primary concern.
Turks & Caicos Islands Cabinet Report, Meeting held January 10
#TurksandCaicos, January 26, 2023 – His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, chaired the 1st meeting of Cabinet on Tuesday 10 January 2023 at the Premier’s Office on Providenciales.
All Members were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
- Approved the Fiscal Strategic Policy Statement (FSPS) 2023-27 which includes the fiscal targets of the Government for the next four (4) years to be submitted to the UK Government before being submitted to the House of Assembly for approval. Members also agreed a wide range of associated steps going forwards.
- Approved an application for duty concessions on the importation of construction materials, furniture, fixtures and fittings from Grace Bay Club Ltd. to allow the resort to complete refurbishment work.
- Approved an extension and revision to the MOU between the TCI Government and TCI Finance Limited, which leads on the development and growth of Financial Services in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Approved adjustments to the Agriculture Finance Support Programme (Agro- Grant Incentive) for the provision of compensation for registered farms that incurred damages due to Hurricane Fiona in 2022. Members also supported the adoption of a “Farmer Information System”.
- Approved proposed measures to control the roaming of livestock in the country covering the registration of livestock farms, construction and maintenance of holding facilities, and the transport of livestock.
- Approved a proposed model and structure for the New Destination Management and Marketing Organisation and Tourism Regulatory Authority. Members also approved an implementation process, the composition of the appointed Board of Directors, staffing implications, and a financing model, including the establishment of Tourism Improvement Districts and the payment of fees by tourism entities.
- Approved amendments to the Schedule of the Ports Authority (Stevedorers, Fees, and Charges) Regulations 2008, introducing a variation of stevedoring tariffs. Members also agreed next steps.
- Noted the impact of the moratorium on the issuance of new visas to Hattian nationals originating out of Haiti and approved the implementation of a moratorium on the issuing of all visas to Haitian Nationals entering the Turks and Caicos Islands for six months with effect from 11 January 2023.
- Approved the granting of a licence to a named individual for the purpose of erecting a swim deck protruding from the Crown parcel 60400/366 into the adjoining sea and the payment of associated annual fees.
- Approved the renewal of a lease for the rental of office space for the Government’s Planning Department on Providenciales for a period of three years.
- Discussed the renewal of a lease for the rental of office space for the Government’s Gender Affairs and Social Development Departments on Grand Turk and agreed next steps.
- Approved the use of existing funds for the use of retrofitting the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College.
- Approved the gradual outsourcing of janitorial services for government buildings, including schools.
- Approved the observance of Public Holidays on 8 May 2023 to mark the King’s Coronation and on 19 June 2023 to mark the King’s Birthday.
- Was updated on issues related to the Ministries of:
- Education, and
- AG Chambers,
- Office of the Deputy Governor, and
- Office of the Governor
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.
DELANO ARTHUR APPOINTED AS COMMISSIONER OF ENERGY AND UTILITIES
#TurksandCaicos, January 26, 2023 – The Office of the Deputy Governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Delano R. Arthur to the post of Commissioner of Energy and Utilities in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Transportation, Energy and Utilities.
Mr. Arthur holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan (2002) and a Master of Science Degree in Information Systems and Management from the University of Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona (2007).
With over fifteen (15) years’ service as an Engineering Professional, Mr. Arthur served in the posts of: Senior Technical Associate at the Bahamas Telecommunications Company (BTC) in Freeport, Bahamas from 2006-2009; as a Senior Project Officer and Diplomat with the Caribbean Community Secretariat (CARICOM) in Georgetown, Guyana from 2009-2011; as the Manager of Information Technology at the Grand Bahama Power Company Ltd. (GBPC) from 2012-2015; as the Operations Manager of Transmission and Distribution at GBPC from 2015-2018 and as the Director of Grid Solutions at GBPC from 2018-2022.
Mr. Arthur during his tenure at the Grand Bahama Power Company (GBPC) gained extensive experience in all aspects of engineering, technical automation, transmission, distribution and energy supply where he provided strategic and tactical planning advice on the design and operation of GBPC’s Grid inclusive of transmission and distribution, sub stations, power transformers, renewable energy, protection and relaying devices. He also served as the Technical Storm Lead for Hurricane Matthew, as well as the Project Owner to rebuild GBPC’s 45MW Base Load Generation Fleet in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian.
Commenting on his appointment Mr. Arthur stated:
“My father and mother, having been born and raised in Conch Bar and Bottle Creek, respectively, humbles me as I consider this a pleasure to serve the people of these Islands.
Deputy Governor and Head of the Public Service Her Excellency Anya Williams in commenting on Mr. Arthur’s appointment stated:
“It is with great pleasure that I extend congratulations to Mr. Delano Arthur on his appointment as the new Commissioner of Energy and Utilities here in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
This appointment is extremely critical in helping the Turks and Caicos Islands not only progress Energy Reform here in these islands, but also in ensuring that the appropriate regulatory functions are carried out and adhered in these islands.
Having had the early opportunity along with Premier the Honourable Dr. Charles Washington Misick to meet with Mr. Arthur since his appointment to discuss the vision for Energy Reform here in the islands and to understand his early assessment and futuristic plans for the Energy and Utilities Commission, we are fully confident in his ability to lead on these initiatives and pledge our full support of the provision of the necessary resources to ensure the Commissions success.
I wish Mr. Arthur well on his appointment and welcome him to the Turks and Caicos Islands Public Service.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Health5 days ago
PAHO platform brings health monitoring of chronic diseases to remote populations
Government1 week ago
New Youth Ambassadors to CARICOM Named for Turks & Caicos Islands
Caribbean News1 week ago
JAMAICA: Dr. Tufton Urges Continued Take-Up of Covid-19 Vaccines
Crime1 week ago
Tech and Cybersecurity: The Crime of Skimming
Caribbean News1 week ago
JAMAICA: UNICEF Receives CAN$70 Million to Boost Vaccine Access and Take-Up
Caribbean News4 days ago
Trinidad and Tobago gets a new president, the second woman to be elected to the position
Caribbean News6 days ago
Long Stay Tourist Arrivals Up over 40% says TCIAA
Bahamas News5 days ago
The first IHOP in the Caribbean to open its doors in February; destination Bahamas