Connect with us

Bahamas News

Watching late season tropical wave; islanders antsy and DDME urges review of family plan

Published

on

#Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands – Monday November 12, 2018 – “Now is a good time to review family emergency plans to ensure that you have the necessities,” said Turks and Caicos Islands DDME in a notice just moments ago.  

Trevor Basden, Director, Bahamas Dept of Meteorology

There is attention being paid to the late season system which developed in the Atlantic Basin over the weekend.  Trevor Basden, Senior Meteorologist and Director at The Bahamas Department of Meteorology confirms that chances for development are high and adds that the Turks and Caicos and The Bahamas archipelagos will get a stronger update later today.

Mr. Basden points out that none of the countries in the path of the vigorous tropical wave have posted any tropical storm alerts.  The BDM Director explained that ‘no alerts’ is an indication that while the system is to be watched, it has yet to pose any serious threat to the Leeward Islands and countries like Puerto Rico.

Things could change rapidly for better or worse though, and Trevor Basden added that he completely understands the apprehension storm weary islanders would feel at the sight of such a system at nearly the official end of the Atlantic Hurricane Season, which is November 30.

Meanwhile, the TCI Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies, DDME says it will continue to monitor the system and provide updates accordingly.

The wave was this morning located about 200 miles east of the Leeward Islands is currently forecast to pass north of Hispaniola (Haiti and Dominican Republic), Turks and Caicos and the SE Bahamas.  Formation chance over the next five days, into a stronger storm, is put at 90 percent by the National Hurricane Center.

Basden said no matter what develops, the system will be a rain and wind event and that thankfully most of the rain is in the eastern quadrant of the storm; which is away from the land masses named in the NHC public advisory.

Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.

Bahamas News

UB Statement: Portia M. Smith Building Under Assessment

Published

on

#The Bahamas, January 27, 2023 – In response to concerns expressed, University of The Bahamas released a notification on Thursday 26th January 2023 that effective immediately the Portia M. Smith Building at the Oakes Field Campus is closed until further notice as a precautionary measure.

Immediate steps have been taken to engage the Ministry of Environmental Health to conduct a thorough assessment of the building. In the interim, personnel assigned to Portia M. Smith have been instructed to work remotely to maintain the continuity of operations. A further communication will be issued once the assessment has been completed as we continue to provide timely updates.

Please be assured that the health, safety, and welfare of members of the University community and the general public are paramount and we are working with urgency to address this matter.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Statement From The Ministry  of Foreign Affairs – On Order  For All Bahamians  To Leave Haiti

Published

on

#TheBahamas, January 26, 2023 – The Prime Minister  has ordered an immediate involuntary  departure from Haiti  of all diplomatic  personnel or as soon as security conditions  permit.Up to this time, there was a voluntary departure order in place and all staff at the embassy  chose to stay.  Per the new instructions, they are to leave for home as soon as conditions  permit.  This is only a temporary  measure in light of recent developments  which require a corporate  security and intelligence  assessment  and restaging.This morning  the Chargè  reported that they had been stopped by Haitian police and relieved of their vehicle and weapons. This is part of a protest by the Haitian National Police against  their own authorities.All of our diplomats are personally  safe.There also is a report  of 5 Bahamians from Bahamasair who landed at Port Au Prince Airport who were unable to leave the environs of the airport.  They are all safe and well.  The security situation  appears less stable over the past three days in the country, and we are taking steps out of an abundance  of caution.The pattern of security concerns is one of ebb and flow and these withdrawals are sometimes  necessary  to regroup.  The Security Forces  in our country have been alerted to these developments.  As soon as conditions  permit a team will be sent back into Haiti without further announcement.PLQ
Courtesy of BIS

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahamas takes in 396 Haitian migrants; shocking interception

Published

on

By Sherrica Thompson

Staff Writer

 

 

 

#TheBahamas, January 25, 2023 – In what is being described by Bahamian officials as one of the largest human smuggling incidents in the region, 394 Haitian migrants were intercepted by the United States Coast Guard near Cay Sal Island on Saturday, January 21.

According to immigration officials in The Bahamas, the migrants will be processed on the island of Inagua and later repatriated.

US Coast Guard spokeswoman Nicole Groll described the condition of the intercepted boat to the Associated Press on Monday. She said, “it was grossly overloaded and very much unsafe.”

The officials did not provide any further information on the matter.

The recent apprehension brings the total number of Haitian migrants intercepted in Bahamian waters since the start of the year to just over five hundred (500) persons.

Due to the worsening humanitarian, a surge in gang violence and deepening political instability in Haiti, thousands of Haitians are fleeing their country in search of a better life for themselves and family.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING