Connect with us

Caribbean News

JAMAICA: Multibillion-Dollar Road Upgrades to Ease Congestion, Boost Economic Activity

Published

on

#Kingston, August 1, 2018 – Jamaica – The Government of Jamaica is expending billions of dollars to upgrade major road segments in Kingston and St. Andrew in order to facilitate seamless travel by the commuting public and enhance connectivity to major markets and commercial centres, thereby boosting economic activity.

The projects being undertaken are the US$19-million Constant Spring Road Improvement project, US$64-million Mandela Highway Realignment and Reconstruction project, and the US$56-million Hagley Park Road Improvement project.  These legacy projects, which are being implemented by the National Works Agency (NWA), represent a continuation of work to improve the island’s road network in order to enhance the quality of life of citizens and to stimulate economic growth and development.

In a recent interview with JIS News, Acting Communication and Customer Services Manager, NWA, Ramona Lawson, says the improvement works are at varying stages of completion and will result in reduction of travel time along the corridors.

“At Mandela, we are currently 86 per cent complete; at Hagley Park Road, we are 12 per cent complete and at Constant Spring Road, 17 per cent complete,” she says.

She explains that the Mandela Highway reconstruction project will, among other things, increase the number of lanes from four to six between Six Miles and the ‘on and off’ ramps of Highway 2000 to reduce the risk of the corridor becoming inundated. The Duhaney River box culvert will be upgraded and a new bridge constructed over the Fresh River.

Mandela Highway is a very important thoroughfare in the nation’s road infrastructure, as it serves as a link between Kingston and the northern, western and southern sections of the island.

“The works that we are currently doing on Mandela include the construction of box culverts under the westbound lanes. We are doing some subgrade filling on the QRamp as well… and we will be prefabricating, offsite, a concrete box culvert that is to be installed in the vicinity of the Six Miles drainage,” Miss Lawson says.  She informs that the project is expected to be completed by year end.

Turning to the Constant Spring Road Improvement project, Miss Lawson tells JIS News that the works include widening of the road from two to four lanes, improved traffic management, upgrading of storm-water drainage, and construction of two additional bus bays at the transportation terminal in Manor Park, St. Andrew.  So far, sewer pipes, water pipes and storm drains have been laid.

“We are doing most of the underground work, which involves extensive excavation. The completion of that project is 17 per cent and most of it is on account of the drainage work that is already done,” Miss Lawson informs.

“We have done some base formation where the drainage is completely in already, and that is leading up from the top section of Constant Spring Road into the Immaculate Conception High School area; we have done about 500 metres along the southbound lane,” she further indicates.

Meanwhile at Hagley Park Road, the NWA is widening 3.6 kilometres of roadway from Three Miles to Maxfield Avenue; constructing a double overpass, a sewer main and sidewalks; installing a number of traffic signals and street lights, undertaking drainage improvement; and setting back perimeter fences and boundary walls.

“We have completed about 40-plus walls… .  The total that we have to do there is 158 walls.  The setting back of walls is taking place all along the project boundary from the Three Miles intersection all the way to the Maxfield Avenue intersection,” Miss Lawson notes.

She says that both the Constant Spring and Hagley Park projects are set to be delivered in June 2019. “The projects have not suffered any major shocks, to date, and so we still intend to meet the June deadline for both projects,” she notes.

Miss Lawson tells JIS News that plans have been implemented by the agency to minimise any adverse impact on the commuting public from the road construction projects that are being undertaken concurrently.

“Our communication mechanisms have been ramped up, our traffic management plans have been vetted, and have been tested, and will be implemented as the need arises… to mitigate any undue negative impact on the commuting public as well as commercial and residential stakeholders,” she points out.

She notes that while persons are still able to use the roadways, they should be mindful of the warnings, restrictions and advisories that have been and will be issued.  She says motorists can expect that at the end of the projects there will be significant decrease in travel time along the corridors.

In the meantime, Miss Lawson says the US$4.4-million Barbican Road Upgrade Project has been completed and has significantly improved travel flow.

“We have not received many complaints, as at recent times, of persons being delayed along the corridor,” she points out.

The Acting Communication Manager adds that continued monitoring will be undertaken in a bid to improve traffic management in that area.

“We are installing fibre-optic cables along the stretch, so that the signals can be synchronised as well as cameras, so that the signals can be altered from our traffic management centre here at head office. So, going forward, the flow of traffic is expected to be improved even more,” she informs.

Miss Lawson adds that LED street lights are also being installed.  “We are about 11 of 18 complete there,” she points out.

The works at Barbican entailed significant widening and upgrading in the vicinity of the Barbican Centre, which is expected to alleviate congestion in the area.  The road infrastructure legacy projects fall under the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP), which is being financed through a concessionary loan from the Government of China.

MIDP is being implemented by the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, with funding support from the Government and the Export-Import Bank of China.

 

By: Chris Patterson

Release: JIS

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF STEWART TOURISM EMPIRE PLAYS OUT IN COURTS

Published

on

May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute.  It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.

At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.

The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.

In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.

One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.

For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.

But the matter is far from settled.

Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.

The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.

Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.

Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.

For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge.  He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.

Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Sandals and Beaches Women Master the Art of Hospitality Leadership  

Published

on

Montego Bay, Jamaica, April 22, 2026 — At Sandals and Beaches Resorts, leadership excellence is par for the course. This is increasingly evident as the Sandals Corporate University (SCU) continues to provide team members with extraordinary opportunities for higher education, growth and professional development.

Facilitated through the SCU, the programmes offered executive team members the opportunity to pursue advanced studies with Les Roches, an internationally recognised Swiss hospitality university accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Renowned for its comprehensive hospitality curriculum, Les Roches was also recently ranked #2 in the world in Hospitality & Leisure Management by the QS World University Rankings 2026.

The graduating group included EMBA recipients: Heather Effs, regional manager, entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucian and Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional manager, entertainment in the Eastern Caribbean. Also graduating was Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper who completed the EMIHM programme.

While studying for their degrees, the EMBA students were able to enhance their experience through immersive classroom learning, travelling to the Les Roches campuses in Switzerland and Dubai to participate in the institution’s Residential Weeks. Both weeks, which took place at the start and toward the end of the course, provided the leaders with opportunities for in depth academic exposure, training and collaboration with fellow students from around the world.

Reflecting on their experiences and their decisions to pursue higher education through the SCU, each graduate expressed long standing aspirations to further their education and earn their master’s degrees and extended gratitude to the SCU for making those dreams a reality.

John, who graduated with distinction, shared that it was a proud and emotional moment when she crossed the stage to collect her certificate. She recalled that while the programme was demanding, the opportunity to deepen her knowledge of the hospitality industry on a global level made the journey a rewarding one.

“Education has always been intrinsic to who I am. I believe we must continuously learn so we can grow in this industry where we serve and lead others. This programme allowed me to sharpen my tools as a leader while gaining a broader global perspective on hospitality and tourism. Collaborating with professionals from different countries and cultures was an incredible experience and it challenged me to think differently about the future of our industry,” she remarked.

“My journey continues as I will keep sharing what I have learned to strengthen our teams and our brand every single day.”

For Giddings, the opportunity to network, study with her colleagues and lean into the vastness of hospitality was all the motivation she needed to embark on her Les Roches journey.

“I thought to myself, this was my chance to learn, expand and grow with two women I highly admire and respect.”

She noted that the coursework itself was not without its challenges, but she recognised the value in pushing forward to earn her degree which would inevitably allow her to take the next step in her career.

“It is an investment in yourself. I feel a profound sense of achievement and confidence and I feel prepared and excited about the opportunities that lie ahead,” she added.

Smith-Cooper shared that the EMIHM programme was the perfect opportunity to discover what she was capable of. However, between  designing dream destination weddings for couples and navigating parenthood and life in general, she admitted that the undertaking was no small feat.

“One of my biggest challenges was balancing school with my everyday responsibilities at work, at home and in my personal life but this experience showed me that my capacity could grow.”

Despite the demands, she credits determination, self-belief and the encouragement of a strong support system for helping her see the journey through.

“Today, I feel proud, relieved, accomplished and more confident. This programme has helped to build my skills and prepare me for new responsibilities and future opportunities.”

Effs, who also earned her EMBA with distinction, regarded the experience as a transformative step in her professional journey.

“Pursuing this programme was truly a leap of faith for me. The coursework challenged me intellectually and professionally, but each module stretched me in the best way. I was constantly learning, applying and evolving.”

The regional entertainment manager also encouraged other team members to take advantage of the opportunities available through SCU.

“To anyone considering taking the next step through SCU, my advice is simple: take the leap of faith. Trust yourself. Tap into your superpowers. Growth begins the moment you step outside of your comfort zone. The journey may challenge you, but it will also transform you,” Effs added.

Speaking on the partnership with Les Roches, Senior Corporate Director of the SCU, Dr. Luz Longsworth expressed her appreciation for the calibre of hospitality training offered by the institution.

“Les Roches’ commitment to working with the Caribbean really impressed us and we were excited to take a team to Marbella to visit their campus and explore the possibilities for collaboration. The quality of the programme strengthens the capacity of our leaders to navigate the complex and ever evolving world of hospitality and it is highly relevant to the needs of our region,” she shared.

The Sandals Corporate University remains committed to empowering team members through world class training and educational opportunities. By investing in leadership development and professional advancement, SCU continues to equip its people with the tools needed to grow while helping to shape the next generation of hospitality leaders across the Caribbean.

Captions:

Header: SCU Grads 1: Regional Manager, Entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Heather Effs can’t help but strike a playful pose after crossing the Les Roches stage to collect her degree; and SCU Grads 2: Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucia is snapped on stage with the Les Roches team at the graduation ceremony held in Switzerland.

1st insert: Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper takes a quick selfie moment post-graduation.

2nd Insert: Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional entertainment manager for the Eastern Caribbean is all joy after completing the postgraduate programme.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING