Connect with us

Caribbean News

PDM Announces Plan to Stop the Sloops’; says PNP Gov’t is “clueless”

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

Editor

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, February 2, 2023 – For some, the Progressive National Party government has failed to contain the illegal migration problem.  To no one is this perspective more true than the People’s Democratic Movement which in a statement, hammered the government for inaction on stemming the flow of illegal boats from embattled Haiti and cited that now, there are a marked increase in human smuggling operations since the PNP took office.

“The PNP Government of the day seems to be clueless about how to tackle this problem. In the two years that they had come for the work, the country has seen no new plans, strategies, or methods for addressing the illegal movement of people, weapons, drugs, and contraband. On the contrary, we have seen an increase in illegal activities within our territorial waters,” said Edwin Astwood, Opposition Leader.

Over 500 Haitians have been caught so far in 2023 trying to enter the islands, illegally.  Police have confirmed that some illegal boats have been missed by the coastal radar and marine branch, which brings unknown dangers to the British overseas territory.

The overwhelming influx is fueled by people seeking relief from a toxic cocktail of widespread infections and deaths as a result of Cholera; the vacuum left by the expiration of term in office of all its democratically elected leaders; the high cost and scarcity of food and the take-over of murderous gangs across the nation.

Astwood said the remedy needs funding and his party has the right strategy.

“The PDM has been working on a very ambitious strategic plan for “Stopping the Sloops”. This plan has a clearly defined vision and mission, with achievable objectives. The strategy was developed with a new and innovative way of stopping and detecting illegal entry into the Turks and Caicos Islands. It employs a multisectoral multiagency approach using new and very promising tactics.”

No details of this plan is shared by Astwood, but he does give clues about where there is grave concern; he slams the PNP for leaving smaller islands unprotected. He likened them to a magnet for the unscrupulous captains who use the lanes and lands for their often ill-fated, always nefarious and irresistibly lucrative voyages.

“For our Family Islands and communities border protection and security are extremely low, or completely absent, hence they also act as alternative unmonitored landing sites for these illegal boats.

We the PDM have been studying in much detail every aspect of this issue of illegal boats. Our Plan will coordinate our intelligence, interception, processing, and enforcement systems. Through increases in the critical staffing areas; increase policing of our waters; use of technology, including sensors, radar, and aerial assets, investments to modernize the ports of entry, and stronger partnerships and information sharing, we the PDM desire to create a safer, more secure, and more efficient border environment of the entire Turks and Caicos Islands.”

Since the statement was issued on February 18, there has been no formal reply from the PNP Administration.  The issue of illegal migration once again proving to be politically polarizing and not severe enough a threat to elicit greater collaboration by the two parties for the good of the country, which is pumping millions of dollars into repatriation costs and bleeding even more dollars due to the social impacts resulting from the deepening crisis in Haiti.

“Protecting our borders from the illegal movement of weapons, drugs, contraband, and people, while promoting lawful entry and exit, is essential to our country, the Turks and Caicos Islands, security, economic prosperity, and national sovereignty.

A PDM government would be committed to enforcing our immigration laws so that we can secure our border and keep the TCI people safe. Our Strategy includes taking action to directly disrupt cartels, smugglers, and nefarious actors.

However, smugglers, human traffickers, and nefarious actors know our loopholes well and continue to exploit them. To truly keep the TCI people safe, we must end loopholes that have left us with policies that serve as tremendous magnets for illegal immigration.”

The plan is to stop the sloops.

“It consists both of a short-term and a long-term plan.

No doubt this Strategy will require budgetary support from Government funding, and New Visionary Leadership for execution and bringing the Plan to fruition. “A new and innovative plan will never be executed with an old and outdated way of thinking.”

The funding will be for acquiring the most suitable and most effective technologies for the purpose, the most suitable and most effective equipment for the activities, implementing the new methodologies, and most importantly employing the most suitable and skilled Turks and Caicos Islanders for organizing and executing the approach.”

There is a document and a vision said Edwin Astwood, who is a former minister of health of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

“We the Peoples’ Democratic Movement believe that the TCI should be free from having to face the consequences of illegal boats carrying people, guns, and illegal drugs reaching our shores. We are committed to securing our borders, and developing and enforcing effective immigration laws. We also believe that all of our people and residents have a right to feel safe and protected.

The mission statement of the PDM’s New and Innovative Plan outlines how we would achieve the vision. Our Objectives comprise the specific results that our new system aims to achieve in “stopping the boats”, within the specified timeframe stated.

The PDM’s plan needs the Haitian Government, said the Leader who is depending on a missing in action level of accountability from the Haitian government.  It is a murky, maybe even a doomed expectation as Haiti’s government is relatively non-existent.  Its last elected president – Jovenel Moise – was assassinated in July 2021 and its remaining democratically elected leaders demitted office in early January 2023.

“We need both countries to be in agreement to work together to address this expanding illegal immigration from Haiti, while at the same time promoting trade and commerce.

We the PDM believe that by working cooperatively, both governments will work to combat human smuggling and trafficking in the region, and support both countries in our efforts to combat crime and violence, by cutting off this funding mechanism. These efforts will build on existing bilateral agreements between the TCI and our neighboring countries and will reflect a shared commitment toward regional and hemispheric security.”

For Haiti, despite optimism when the United States and Canada agreed to ‘boots on the ground’ and military support, little had changed for the nation, home to 11 million people including some five million starving children. This month, both countries informed that while they are prepared to sanction alleged corrupt ex-leaders and provide a presence, no combat action is planned.

The PDM, meanwhile, has not said when they plan to release the strategy for public consumption.

“We the PDM have a new and Innovative Plan to protect You, to secure our borders, and to Stop the Illegal Boats. The Premier and his PNP government have No plan,” said Edwin Astwood in conclusion.

Caribbean News

Pres Ali declares three days of national mourning following MV Barima tragedy July 21, 2026

Published

on

His Excellency Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali has declared three days of national mourning following the tragic loss of lives in the M.V. Barima incident, as the nation continues to grieve alongside the families and communities affected.

The period of national mourning will be observed from Wednesday, July 22, through Friday, July 24, 2026, in honour of the victims of the tragedy. During this time, the National Flag will be flown at half-mast on all Government buildings and other appropriate locations across the country.

As part of the observances, Wednesday, July 22, has been designated a National Day of Prayer. A National Day of Prayer and Remembrance will be held at the Kingston Seawall in Georgetown, bringing together citizens in solidarity to honour the lives lost and offer support to grieving families.

The programme of remembrance will continue with a Night of Reflection and Prayer in Port Kaituma on Thursday, July 23, followed by another observance in Mabaruma on Friday, July 24.

The government is also encouraging religious organisations, civic groups and citizens throughout Guyana to organise candlelight vigils and moments of prayer during the three days as the nation collectively reflects on the tragedy and pays tribute to the victims. The declaration of national mourning underscores the government’s commitment to standing with the bereaved families and affected communities as Guyana mourns one of the country’s most heartbreaking maritime tragedies.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CARICOM Targets Affordability as Bahamas, TCI Continue to Feel the Pinch  

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

 

Cheaper shipping. Lower energy costs. Better access to healthcare. Stronger consumer protections.

Those are among the measures CARICOM Heads of Government believe could finally begin reducing the stubbornly high cost of living for millions of people across the Caribbean.

Meeting in Saint Lucia, regional leaders agreed that making life more affordable must become one of the Community’s highest priorities. Their emerging strategy includes reducing freight costs through a regional ferry service, accelerating renewable energy projects to lessen dependence on imported fuel, expanding regional healthcare partnerships, strengthening consumer protection, and encouraging governments to adopt successful cost-of-living measures already being implemented across the Caribbean.

“Our discussions over the past four days were guided by one central objective – ensuring that CARICOM delivers results that people can see and feel in their everyday lives,” CARICOM Chairman and Saint Lucia Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre said.

Few places may welcome that relief more than The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Although inflation has moderated in both countries from the sharp increases experienced following the pandemic, the cost of living remains stubbornly high. Families continue to complain about grocery bills that stretch household budgets, rising housing costs, expensive electricity, healthcare expenses and fuel prices that remain among the highest in the region.

Governments have responded.

In The Bahamas, successive reductions in Value Added Tax on selected goods and other targeted tax measures have sought to ease pressure on consumers. In the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Government this weekend opens applications for its $500 Cost of Living Relief Programme, acknowledging that many households continue to struggle despite the country’s economic success.

Yet affordability remains elusive.

The contradiction is difficult to ignore.

The Turks and Caicos Islands continues to post one of the region’s strongest tourism-driven economies, with robust investment, record visitor spending and sustained construction activity. The Bahamas has also strengthened its economic position, earning improved sovereign credit ratings as tourism, government revenues and fiscal performance continue to recover.

Yet those encouraging economic indicators have not translated into noticeably lower household expenses.

The reason is largely structural.

Both The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands produce relatively little of what they consume. Food, fuel, medicines, vehicles, building materials and countless household essentials are imported. Both countries also record significant trade deficits, illustrating their dependence on overseas suppliers. Every increase in global shipping costs, fuel prices or supply chain disruptions is eventually reflected in supermarket prices, utility bills and the cost of everyday living.

That is why CARICOM’s agenda matters.

If regional leaders succeed in lowering freight costs through an inter-island ferry network, expanding renewable energy, improving regional cargo movement, strengthening consumer protections and making healthcare more accessible through cooperation, the benefits could extend far beyond government balance sheets.

For Bahamians and Turks and Caicos Islanders, success will not be measured by another tourism record or another credit rating upgrade. It will be measured at the supermarket checkout, on the monthly electricity bill, at the gas pump and in the simple ability to afford a better quality of life.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

From Pathways to Investment: Tackling the US $6 Billion Food Challenge for the Caribbean

Published

on

By Kenroy Roach

The Caribbean’s food systems challenge is fast evolving into a broader development challenge.

Despite decades of policy attention and investment, the region remains one of the most food import-dependent in the world, spending over US$6 billion annually. At the same time, countries continue to grapple with food insecurity, high rates of diet-related non-communicable diseases, climate vulnerability, and exposure to external shocks that can disrupt supply chains and drive up food prices almost overnight.

For Small Island Developing States (SIDS), food security has shifted from an agriculture focus alone, it’s about economic resilience, health, climate resilience and sustainable growth.

Recognizing this reality, Caribbean governments have elevated food systems transformation as a regional priority through the CARICOM 25 x 25 Plus Five Agenda, which seeks to reduce food import dependence while strengthening domestic production, regional trade, and resilience. Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, governments have also developed National Food Systems Pathways that identify the investments, partnerships, and policy reforms needed to transform food systems and accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Yet one challenge has remained persistent: financing.

In the face of high levels of public debt and limited fiscal space, while public investment remains critical, Caribbean governments simply cannot shoulder the financing burden alone. Transforming food systems at scale requires mobilizing far greater private capital, alongside development finance and public resources.

This was the rationale behind the recent convened in Barbados.

The Forum brought together governments, investors, international financial institutions, private sector leaders, regional organizations, and the United Nations around a simple proposition: food systems should be viewed not only as a development priority, but also as an investable asset class.

A distinguishing feature of the innovative gathering was its focus on attracting private investment—particularly private equity, impact investment, and blended finance solutions capable of supporting businesses and infrastructure across food value chains. By helping enterprises access growth capital and connecting investors with scalable opportunities, the initiative sought to unlock financing that complements public investment rather than adding to already constrained public balance sheets.

A key outcome was the launch of a regional Deal Book comprising approximately US$320 million in investment opportunities across seven countries, spanning agriculture, fisheries, agro-processing, logistics, and strategic food systems infrastructure. The Deal Book created a practical bridge between capital seeking opportunities and opportunities seeking capital, while enabling direct engagement between governments, enterprises, and investors.

The results were encouraging.

Across four sector-focused deal rooms, participants explored investment-ready and near-investment-ready opportunities and discussed blended finance private equity, risk-sharing, and partnerships to advance projects toward implementation.

The Forum highlighted a shift in perspective: food systems are now seen as strategic drivers of economic diversification, resilience, competitiveness, and growth. Investments across production, processing, logistics, and distribution can strengthen regional supply chains, create new businesses, generate jobs, and reduce vulnerability to external shocks.

For the United Nations, this experience reinforced an important lesson.

Transforming food systems requires more than the technical expertise of individual agencies. It requires integrated solutions that connect agriculture, nutrition, health, climate resilience, trade, private sector development, and financing.

This is where the Resident Coordinator System plays a critical role.

Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, the Resident Coordinator Office has united UN system capabilities around a common food systems agenda. Working with FAO, WFP, the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub, and other partners, the RCO has helped align policy support, technical expertise, partnerships, and financing with nationally identified priorities.

The Forum demonstrated this integrated approach by convening governments, investors, development finance institutions, private sector actors, and UN agencies around a common objective. It showcased the UN’s comparative advantage as a trusted broker capable of connecting development priorities with investment opportunities.

The Forum’s success will be measured not by dialogue generated, but by investments mobilized, businesses expanded, and progress made toward resilient, competitive Caribbean food systems across the Caribbean.

Its most important outcome may therefore be what comes next.

The work starts now.

Kenroy Roach is Head of the UN Resident Coordinator Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING