Connect with us

Caribbean News

PM Announces New Measures to Contain COVID-19

Published

on

#Jamaica, December 11, 2021 – Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, on Tuesday (December 7), announced changes to the measures aimed at containing the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The new measures will become effective on December 10 and end on January 14, 202.

Speaking in the House of Representatives, Mr. Holness said that the curfew hours will now be from 10:00 p.m. nightly until 5:00 a.m. the following morning.

“Except for Christmas Eve night, December 24, the curfew will commence past midnight and start at 1:00 a.m. early Christmas morning and for New Year’s Eve night, December 31, the curfew will commence after midnight at 1:00 a.m. early on New Years Day,” Mr. Holness said.

He also informed that operating hours for beaches, rivers and water attractions have been extended to 5:00 p.m., instead of the current 4:00 p.m.

The mandatory work-from-home order for the public sector will come to an end on December 31.

“There has been a number of concerns expressed about the loss of productivity that this measure is having. We need to get back to normal but, of course, to do so safely. This is not to say that we are abandoning work from home totally; it will be an option but not a requirement,” Mr. Holness said.

“Individual ministries, departments and agencies should assess their own circumstances and determine what is best. The goal is to return to full productivity effective the first workday in January 2022. So, the public sector must get back to work at their workplaces,” he added.

Mr. Holness also informed that there are no changes to the gathering limits. The general public gathering limit remains at 10 persons, and the limit on the number of persons in attendance at a place of worship remains at 100; however, no crusades, conferences or conventions are permitted.

The number of persons permitted to physically attend a wedding remains at 100, so, too, the limit on the number of persons physically attending annual general meetings (AGM).

Physical attendance at any event hosted by public entities will continue to be limited to a maximum of 50 persons.

“As I had indicated previously, any public event held by the Government must be a controlled event by invitation only and only attended by persons who are fully vaccinated. I have attended a few and the public sector has [done] very well in ensuring that these rules are followed,” Mr. Holness said.

Funeral services are permitted with a maximum of 20 persons physically present, including mourners, clergy and support personnel. Burials are permitted Mondays to Fridays between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. with a maximum of 20 persons present.

In relation to visits to infirmaries and correctional institutions, Mr. Holness said the Government recognises that the “no visitor” policy has caused great hardship.

“We are reviewing it, particularly as we approach the Christmas season. The Minister of Local Government and Rural Development has announced that we are reviewing the measures, and those measures are likely to include a pretest before being allowed to enter. It is also likely that only vaccinated persons will be allowed to enter, but these measures are being studied carefully. Both the Minister of National Security and the Minister of Local Government will make their announcements shortly,” Mr. Holness told the House.

Regarding the controlled-entry protocols, the requirement for all travellers to present a negative COVID-19 test conducted within three days of travel remains in place, as does the requirement to self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival for persons who are not fully vaccinated.

However, fully vaccinated persons, who obtain a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test as their pretest prior to travel, will not be required to conduct another PCR test after arrival in order to be released from quarantine.

In relation to the travel ban on the Southern African countries, Mr. Holness said given that the COVID variant (Omicron) has now been seen in nearly 40 countries and in 17 states in the United States, the Ministry of Health and Wellness is now reviewing the situation.

“At some point, the virus will become the dominant strain and make the ban pointless. So given our open economy, it is inevitable that the Omicron variant will enter Jamaica at some point. The purpose of the band is to delay its arrival in Jamaica to give us time to get more information and to prepare us,” Mr. Holness said.

He noted that this is a strategy that the Government has used in the management of the pandemic.

“It has worked; it has served us well. It is not meant in any way to be discriminatory to our good friends and partners. I want my brothers and sisters in South Africa to know that this is just pre-emptive, and we would never do anything to support any perception of Africa as being a cause of spread. We are reviewing and, in short order, we will make an announcement,” Mr. Holness said.

 

Contact: Latonya Linton

JIS

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Pres Ali declares three days of national mourning following MV Barima tragedy July 21, 2026

Published

on

His Excellency Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali has declared three days of national mourning following the tragic loss of lives in the M.V. Barima incident, as the nation continues to grieve alongside the families and communities affected.

The period of national mourning will be observed from Wednesday, July 22, through Friday, July 24, 2026, in honour of the victims of the tragedy. During this time, the National Flag will be flown at half-mast on all Government buildings and other appropriate locations across the country.

As part of the observances, Wednesday, July 22, has been designated a National Day of Prayer. A National Day of Prayer and Remembrance will be held at the Kingston Seawall in Georgetown, bringing together citizens in solidarity to honour the lives lost and offer support to grieving families.

The programme of remembrance will continue with a Night of Reflection and Prayer in Port Kaituma on Thursday, July 23, followed by another observance in Mabaruma on Friday, July 24.

The government is also encouraging religious organisations, civic groups and citizens throughout Guyana to organise candlelight vigils and moments of prayer during the three days as the nation collectively reflects on the tragedy and pays tribute to the victims. The declaration of national mourning underscores the government’s commitment to standing with the bereaved families and affected communities as Guyana mourns one of the country’s most heartbreaking maritime tragedies.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CARICOM Targets Affordability as Bahamas, TCI Continue to Feel the Pinch  

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

 

Cheaper shipping. Lower energy costs. Better access to healthcare. Stronger consumer protections.

Those are among the measures CARICOM Heads of Government believe could finally begin reducing the stubbornly high cost of living for millions of people across the Caribbean.

Meeting in Saint Lucia, regional leaders agreed that making life more affordable must become one of the Community’s highest priorities. Their emerging strategy includes reducing freight costs through a regional ferry service, accelerating renewable energy projects to lessen dependence on imported fuel, expanding regional healthcare partnerships, strengthening consumer protection, and encouraging governments to adopt successful cost-of-living measures already being implemented across the Caribbean.

“Our discussions over the past four days were guided by one central objective – ensuring that CARICOM delivers results that people can see and feel in their everyday lives,” CARICOM Chairman and Saint Lucia Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre said.

Few places may welcome that relief more than The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Although inflation has moderated in both countries from the sharp increases experienced following the pandemic, the cost of living remains stubbornly high. Families continue to complain about grocery bills that stretch household budgets, rising housing costs, expensive electricity, healthcare expenses and fuel prices that remain among the highest in the region.

Governments have responded.

In The Bahamas, successive reductions in Value Added Tax on selected goods and other targeted tax measures have sought to ease pressure on consumers. In the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Government this weekend opens applications for its $500 Cost of Living Relief Programme, acknowledging that many households continue to struggle despite the country’s economic success.

Yet affordability remains elusive.

The contradiction is difficult to ignore.

The Turks and Caicos Islands continues to post one of the region’s strongest tourism-driven economies, with robust investment, record visitor spending and sustained construction activity. The Bahamas has also strengthened its economic position, earning improved sovereign credit ratings as tourism, government revenues and fiscal performance continue to recover.

Yet those encouraging economic indicators have not translated into noticeably lower household expenses.

The reason is largely structural.

Both The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands produce relatively little of what they consume. Food, fuel, medicines, vehicles, building materials and countless household essentials are imported. Both countries also record significant trade deficits, illustrating their dependence on overseas suppliers. Every increase in global shipping costs, fuel prices or supply chain disruptions is eventually reflected in supermarket prices, utility bills and the cost of everyday living.

That is why CARICOM’s agenda matters.

If regional leaders succeed in lowering freight costs through an inter-island ferry network, expanding renewable energy, improving regional cargo movement, strengthening consumer protections and making healthcare more accessible through cooperation, the benefits could extend far beyond government balance sheets.

For Bahamians and Turks and Caicos Islanders, success will not be measured by another tourism record or another credit rating upgrade. It will be measured at the supermarket checkout, on the monthly electricity bill, at the gas pump and in the simple ability to afford a better quality of life.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

From Pathways to Investment: Tackling the US $6 Billion Food Challenge for the Caribbean

Published

on

By Kenroy Roach

The Caribbean’s food systems challenge is fast evolving into a broader development challenge.

Despite decades of policy attention and investment, the region remains one of the most food import-dependent in the world, spending over US$6 billion annually. At the same time, countries continue to grapple with food insecurity, high rates of diet-related non-communicable diseases, climate vulnerability, and exposure to external shocks that can disrupt supply chains and drive up food prices almost overnight.

For Small Island Developing States (SIDS), food security has shifted from an agriculture focus alone, it’s about economic resilience, health, climate resilience and sustainable growth.

Recognizing this reality, Caribbean governments have elevated food systems transformation as a regional priority through the CARICOM 25 x 25 Plus Five Agenda, which seeks to reduce food import dependence while strengthening domestic production, regional trade, and resilience. Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, governments have also developed National Food Systems Pathways that identify the investments, partnerships, and policy reforms needed to transform food systems and accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Yet one challenge has remained persistent: financing.

In the face of high levels of public debt and limited fiscal space, while public investment remains critical, Caribbean governments simply cannot shoulder the financing burden alone. Transforming food systems at scale requires mobilizing far greater private capital, alongside development finance and public resources.

This was the rationale behind the recent convened in Barbados.

The Forum brought together governments, investors, international financial institutions, private sector leaders, regional organizations, and the United Nations around a simple proposition: food systems should be viewed not only as a development priority, but also as an investable asset class.

A distinguishing feature of the innovative gathering was its focus on attracting private investment—particularly private equity, impact investment, and blended finance solutions capable of supporting businesses and infrastructure across food value chains. By helping enterprises access growth capital and connecting investors with scalable opportunities, the initiative sought to unlock financing that complements public investment rather than adding to already constrained public balance sheets.

A key outcome was the launch of a regional Deal Book comprising approximately US$320 million in investment opportunities across seven countries, spanning agriculture, fisheries, agro-processing, logistics, and strategic food systems infrastructure. The Deal Book created a practical bridge between capital seeking opportunities and opportunities seeking capital, while enabling direct engagement between governments, enterprises, and investors.

The results were encouraging.

Across four sector-focused deal rooms, participants explored investment-ready and near-investment-ready opportunities and discussed blended finance private equity, risk-sharing, and partnerships to advance projects toward implementation.

The Forum highlighted a shift in perspective: food systems are now seen as strategic drivers of economic diversification, resilience, competitiveness, and growth. Investments across production, processing, logistics, and distribution can strengthen regional supply chains, create new businesses, generate jobs, and reduce vulnerability to external shocks.

For the United Nations, this experience reinforced an important lesson.

Transforming food systems requires more than the technical expertise of individual agencies. It requires integrated solutions that connect agriculture, nutrition, health, climate resilience, trade, private sector development, and financing.

This is where the Resident Coordinator System plays a critical role.

Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, the Resident Coordinator Office has united UN system capabilities around a common food systems agenda. Working with FAO, WFP, the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub, and other partners, the RCO has helped align policy support, technical expertise, partnerships, and financing with nationally identified priorities.

The Forum demonstrated this integrated approach by convening governments, investors, development finance institutions, private sector actors, and UN agencies around a common objective. It showcased the UN’s comparative advantage as a trusted broker capable of connecting development priorities with investment opportunities.

The Forum’s success will be measured not by dialogue generated, but by investments mobilized, businesses expanded, and progress made toward resilient, competitive Caribbean food systems across the Caribbean.

Its most important outcome may therefore be what comes next.

The work starts now.

Kenroy Roach is Head of the UN Resident Coordinator Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING