#Providenciales, March 22, 2019 – Turks and Caicos – THis Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 7th meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday, 20 March 2019, at the Old Chief Minister’s building on Grand Turk.
All ministers were present with the exception of the Deputy Premier. Representatives from the Rocky Mountain Institute provided a briefing on the Resilient National Energy Transition Strategy, in attendance with the Utilities Commissioner and Fortis LLC. Representatives from the Ministry of Health and Cooley (UK) LLP provided a briefing on the current review of the healthcare agreement with InterHealth Canada.
At this meeting Cabinet:
· Approved the implementation of the National Energy Transition Strategy and Integrated Resource Plan and upgrade of the Energy Policy.
· Approved the Proceeds of Crime (Amendment) Bill 2019 for submission to the House of Assembly.
· Approved the Insolvency Rules 2019, Insolvency Practitioners Regulations and Insolvency (Transitional Provisions) Regulations and for these to be brought into operation by 1 April 2019.
· Approved estimates of expenditure for a Supplementary Appropriation for the Development Programme covering certain projects for FY 18/19.
· Approved the re-allocation of funds from the Professional and Consultancy Vote of the Ministry of Finance, Trade and Investment to the Invest Turks and Caicos Agency for the implementation of recommendations in the Strategic Analysis of TCI’s Financial Services Sector.
· Approved International Tax Compliance (Country-by-Country Reporting) Regulations 2019 and have these laid before the House of Assembly by end March 2019.
· Approved two Customs Orders and the Plastic and Other Single Use Products (Use and Waste Management) Bill to implement the ban on single use plastic bags and to make provision for restrictions on other products.
· Approved a business licence application by Issac Farm & Nursery for the production of sustainable agricultural products.
· Approved the contract extension for Mr John Smith as CEO of TCIAA for a period of twelve months commencing 1st April 2019. Recruitment of his successor will begin in due course.
· Approved the appointment of Mr Kenva Williams as the Director of the Turks and Caicos Islands Telecommunication Commission, commencing 1st April 2019.
· Approved certain amendments to the Road Traffic Ordinance, the Road Traffic Regulations, the Motor Vehicle (Driving Licence) Ordinance and the Motor Vehicle (Driving Licences) Regulations.
· Approved the National Suicide Prevention Plan.
· Noted an update on the current review of healthcare contract with InterHealth Canada.
· Approved the drafting of a Bill to authorise a department or a public officer to manage the Government’s water undertaking and approved the drafting of amendments to the Water and Sewage Ordinance, and the Environmental Health Ordinance to implement water hauling standards and a bottled water code of practice.
· Noted a paper on the construction of a Government Office Complex on Providenciales.
· Noted a planned inaugural film festival for November 2019 and plans afoot by the Ministry of Tourism for the development of a Films Division.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.
Release: Governor’s Office