#TurksandCaicos, February 13, 2018 – Providenciales – The Department of Environment and Coastal Resources (DECR) would like to inform the public that the deforestation of the Islands’ vegetation, for charcoal production is prohibited. The DECR reminds all of the following, as per the Protected Areas Ordinance:
The following activities are prohibited within all Protected Areas:
- The taking of any animal or plant by any method on land or at sea, except to the extent permitted in any fishing zone;
- The destruction of, or damage or injury to, any animal or plant;
- The making of fires, other than in a portable stove or grill.
Please note that the following areas are protected, on Providenciales:
- Chalk Sound National Park
- Princess Alexandra National Park
- North West Point Pond Nature Reserve
- Pigeon Pond and Frenchman’s Creek Nature Reserve
- Princess Alexandra Nature Reserve
- Cheshire Hall Area of Historical Interest
- Sapodilla Hill Area of Historical Interest
The DECR urges any persons participating in such activities to cease such actions forthwith or you will experience the full extent of the law. The DECR would also like to urge members of the public to not support such activities through the purchase of this charcoal.
Should you notice suspicious smoke in the Bight or outside of the protected areas listed above, please contact the Department of Environmental Health at 338-2142 or the Fire and Rescue Department at 941-8090.
Suspicious wood burning within the protected areas outlined above should be directed to the DECR at firstname.lastname@example.org, 338-4162 or 338-4168.