#UnitedKingdom, December 7, 2017 – London, England – Premier Hon. Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson along with the other political Leaders of the United Kingdom (UK) Overseas Territories met with Lord Ahmad, Minister for the Overseas Territories in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) under the auspices of the Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at Lancaster House in London on 28th and 29th November 2017.
The Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) is the highest political forum under the 2012 White Paper, bringing together UK Ministers, elected Leaders and Representatives of the Overseas Territories for the purpose of providing leadership and a shared vision for the Territories. The mandate is to monitor and drive forward collective priorities for action in the spirit of partnership.
The areas of priorities discussed during the Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) plenary sessions by United Kingdom (UK) and Overseas Territories (OT) Governments included:
- Hurricane Relief and Recovery with Lord Bates, Minister of State of the Department for International Development (DFID).
- Climate Change with Theresa Coffey, Lord Gardiner of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and Minister of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- Health with Steve Brine, MP Department of Health and The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (PUSS) at the Department for International Development.
- International Trade Relationships and Economic Development
- Child Safeguarding and the development of national response plans
- Good Governance (including child safeguarding and Human Rights)
Premier Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson also attended the Joint Ministerial Council Overseas Territories European Negotiations (JMC OTEN) on November 29, 2017. The JMC OT-EN was established following the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union as a forum for the implications of Brexit on the OT’s to be discussed and the priorities of the OT’s in the negotiations to be considered. The Premier engaged in discussions in the UK led by Parliamentary Undersecretary of State at the Department for Exiting the European Union, Robin Walker MP.
Premier Cartwright-Robinson also held a bilateral meeting with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) Minister for the Overseas Territories, Lord Ahmad, to discuss Constitutional matters, Land reform, Illegal migration, Child Safeguarding and the United Kingdom response to Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
Press Release: TCIG